• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The off season

PTC

Well, this is our first off season at PTC. As you guys know, we are novices in the world of powerlifting. There are quite a few members on here who have had a few competitive seasons, we've just finished our first.

All the lifters need a freshen up, mentally and physically. I'm simply talking about the competing clients

Max - 4 comps
Nina - 2 comps
Dim - 2 comps
Dave - 2 comps
Vicki - 2 comps
Daryl - 2 comps
James - 2 comps
Nathan - 2 comps
Kelly - 2 comps
Nick - 1 comp
Spiros 1 - comp
Alen - 1 comp
Kasper - 1 comp

This is the list of clients who competed in CAPO events and are still training at PTC.

All are currently doing an off season program, most are doing the same thing. Max is training a little different as he just finished his last comp, the others finished a month ago. Spiros is doing his own thing, the rest are training similar.

Of all the clients, Fat Dave is doing the best, and by a long way. Dave cops his whacks when he deserves them, but he also gets the plaudits when he deserves them.

He is done with figure sculpting. He's simply never going to lose fat. That is apparently obvious now. He is currently weighing 111.4kg. His first comp in May he weighed in at 98kg. Luckily for him its powerlifting not bodybuilding.

This week he squatted 130kg x 10 x 10. Dave squats absolute rock bottom, every rep, every set. This was an incredible session. Right now I would guess he can squat 200kg, without a doubt. His PB is 190kg, he is heavier and stronger now. Not many lifters squatted 200kg in their first 2 years of training.

His bench would also be up substancialy as well at the moment. Last night he benched 80kg x 10 x 10, 5 sets very wide grip, 5 sets close grip. His bench would be close to 120kg, its his weakest lift.

Deadlift wise he has done 200kg x 5 off 10cm blocks, his PB is 220kg. On Tuesday he deadlifted 227 x 2 x 2 with the trap bar.

I have told dave I want him to come to the Worlds next year. In 12 months I'm confident of him squatting 220kg, deadlifting 250kg and benching 130kg. Thats a 600kg total, very respectable for a guy who at the time will have lifted for less than 3 years. I would be very surprised if he didnt make those lifts in a years time.

He is training as well as he ever has. Its his first off season, which I now believe is crucial for a lifter. The work he does now will provide him with a very good base. Dave has been able to stay injury free for his first 2 years of lifting. For all his failings, in the gym, he does what he's told. He never wanders off and does his own training, he just does what I ask.

He's not afraid of repetition work, which I feel is one of the keys as to why he has never got injured. He also uses perfect form on the PL every rep.

What we are doing at PTC currently for most lifters is.

Bench - 5 x 10 WG - 5 x 10 CG
Squat - 10 x 10
Deadlift - Building up in 5's while standing on a 10cm block, Trap bar, Shrugs

I will soon introduce high box and low box squatting as well.

The only comp approaching is the DL comp. I'm not a fan of single lift comps, its not powerlifting in my opinion. I'm not sure how many are entering that, but I imagine around 10 from PTC. Some may have bigger fish to fry and not want to interrupt their training.

I let the lifters make up their own mind.

Make the most of your off season and get some reps into you, your joints and tendons will thank you later.

Good read mate, are most of your lifters going from 1 or 2 cycles of PPP onto this high volume stuff then possibly back onto PPP 3 months from a comp?

I still havent decided how many PPP cycles we will do, it depends on next seasons calender.

Dave will possibly do 2 as he is further along than the others.

With a deadlift comp in December, a States available in Vic and NSW, then maybe a Nats in June, followed by a Worlds in Sept, it depends on who wants to lift in what.

For the guys that are going to the Worlds, the local stuff will take a back seat.

There are far too many areas that CAPO needs to lift its game, the comp side is incredible, the rest is poor unfortunately.

I'll post vids of some of the stuff were doing at PTC in the off season.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXuOkNfBWt4]YouTube - Max box jumps with vest[/ame]

He is sitting on a 12" box and jumping up to 36". we dont have anything taller yet, so he is wearing a 6kg vest

Here is a vid of Max doing a 200kg high box squat, the box is 45cm. We do high ones to this and low box squats to 30cm.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud0QKzNamlM]YouTube - Max 200kg bench squat[/ame]

He is sitting on a 12" box and jumping up to 36". we dont have anything taller yet, so he is wearing a 6kg vest

thanks for sharing some videos, im sure many others and myself enjoy watching what PTC are doing currently.

haha why was Max laughing on the last rep?

Dim who was holding the box, farted.

The boys also did an exercise thats hard to describe. From a kneeling position, with the bar in the catch position of the clean, they jumped up and landed on their feet.

Only Max and Dim managed this, Jack, Dave and Alen couldnt do it.

They also did overhead pressing while sitting on the floor with their legs straight out in front, the "clean" was a challenge.

Impressive jumping from Max.

Have you ever had someone not quite make the box and come unstuck?

They also did overhead pressing while sitting on the floor with their legs straight out in front, the "clean" was a challenge.

Zydrunus Savickas uses these a bit in his training for Strongman stuff I hear. I was also going to start incorporating them into my 5/3/1 assistance work. Work's your stabilisers damn hard and if used like a pin-press could help alot with sticking points in the press.

What was the point of the kneeling jump up things? Experimenting?

Nice work from Max on the jumping box. Watching that vid just makes me feel old and sad though... :(

I've got little doubt a vid of me attempting that would end up on Funniest Home Videos.

So they dont get tired.

They are starting in the full squat position, I believe it may have more carryover than standing.

We are changing our workouts every 4 weeks. The boys had been doing 10 x 10 for 4 weeks in the squat, tonight was deload squats.

Dave managed 280kg for around 5 singles, plus 250kg x 5 x 5. Unbelievable effort

Spiros got 280kg, Max and Alen did 250kg, Alen for a single and Max for a few doubles. Dim and Mick got 230kg.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr7PVYeRm0k]YouTube - Dave deload squats 280kg x 1[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Trh_6yAWDo]YouTube - Dave deload squats 250kg x 5[/ame]

Dave, Luke and Rory with 197kg trap bar deads

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkxRiY0wmbc]YouTube - 197kg trap bar DL[/ame]

Dave failing with 247kg and Rory getting it for a new PB.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-vFqi1P9sA]YouTube - 247kg trap bar DL[/ame]

I think in 3 years it wont matter if Fat Dave is still fat, hes going to be freaking strong and there will be a ton of muscle in there somewhere

It's very interesting to read of the off-season work, high reps but not necessarily low weights. Good wisdom about letting the tendons and ligaments recover and get stronger. Thanks.

I believe high reps with heavyish weights will prolong a lifters career.

After the reverse band squats, Max, Dim, Alen, Mick and Spiros all did, or in Mick and Dims case, attempted

70kg x 30
100kg x 15
120kg x 10

These were regular squats after around 10 sets of reverse band squats with up to 3.2 x bw in some cases