• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Strength & Conditioning for footballers

They get kicked out of the club. These guys are paid, they either get with the program or fuck off, Simon Goosey has made that quite clear.

We've had some meetings and those that arent lifting have been let go

That's pretty good motivation. The fellas i'm working with are trying out for the u18 tassie academy. Most of them are all pretty keen to get a slice of the action. Even those that don't like to squat, still have a go, though it's only 30-40kgs. I still find it hard though to get these fellas to move more than they easily could, if they wanted to. if that makes sense?

Find a chick that easily squats more than them and bring her to training. Nothing worse for a young bloke than to be shown up by a girl.

Today, Michael Hibbered got picked up by Essendon with pick 4 in the pre-season draft

Michael was overlooked during the initial draft, so he continued to train hard. Last seasons assistant coach commented to me how much Michaels shape had changed. Hibbo had bought into the program, one Saturday night he bumped into me at the pics and asked if he could train on Sunday.

I said no.

Last week Essendon had expressed interest in rookie listing him today, so they invited him to train with them. He completed running, skills and weight sessions with them.

I guess he must have impressed them as they didnt even wait for the rookie draft, he has been added to their list.

I'm rapt for Hibbo but disappointed he wont be at the club next year.

I hate Essendon just a little bit less now

Today, Michael Hibbered got picked up by Essendon with pick 4 in the pre-season draft

Michael was overlooked during the initial draft, so he continued to train hard. Last seasons assistant coach commented to me how much Michaels shape had changed. Hibbo had bought into the program, one Saturday night he bumped into me at the pics and asked if he could train on Sunday.

I said no.

Last week Essendon had expressed interest in rookie listing him today, so they invited him to train with them. He completed running, skills and weight sessions with them.

I guess he must have impressed them as they didnt even wait for the rookie draft, he has been added to their list.

I'm rapt for Hibbo but disappointed he wont be at the club next year.

I hate Essendon just a little bit less now

Very good, go bombers.
What position does he normally play M?

What was your reason for turning him down?

He runs off half back, kicks well, is a left footer. Averaged 30 possesions last year.

I coach basketball on Sundays lol

Did he mention what training with Essendon actually involved?

I'd be interested to know how they train.

I've seen the weights programs of a couple of AFL clubs, boring.

Another boy from Frankston spent a week with the Bulldogs. Last night he told me they used less weight than we did and did less work.

I explained we did more work because we were starting from further back.

I've seen the weights programs of a couple of AFL clubs, boring.

Another boy from Frankston spent a week with the Bulldogs. Last night he told me they used less weight than we did and did less work.

I explained we did more work because we were starting from further back.

Yeah I hear they do mostly isolation stuff or leg presses and if they squat at all it's at the end of a session and with tiny weights.

Was wondering on the specifics though.

I assume that at least Collingwood train better since they're trained by a powerlifter.

I assume that at least Collingwood train better since they're trained by a powerlifter.

Indeed. Some of the Pie boys lift some good weights. Goldsack deads 230kgs and Pendles does 220kgs. Swan benches 145kgs etc.

Collingwood are trained by an excellent powerlifter, as has been stated before.

Some of the stuff I read yesterday made me laugh out loud.

I wont mention the club or the exercises, best not to burn bridges.

No chance you can just mention the exercises? No need to attach them to a club name, we all know most of them train like shit anyway.

You'd think they'd have a closer look at how NFL teams train.

Professional athletes in Australian are pretty far behind with their training imo (the ones that actually train here anyway).

I was having a discussion with one of my PT teachers last night (who used to work at the AIS) and despite him agreeing that a deadlift would be more beneficial to a sprinter (due to it being a hip dominant exercise) than a squat, their sprinters still trained in squats and squat jumps because, according to him anyway, it was hard to for them do a 'deadlift jump'.

He also didn't know what post activation potentiation was which didn't fill me with confidence

*edit*
TGM, I've seen Ben Cousins doing concentration curls (no surprises there) and Nick Riewoldt doing alternating shoulder presses on a machine.
A kid who got rookied by NM lives not far from me so if I bump into him I'll ask him what he's doing (and probably tell him what he should be doing :p)

Last edited:
^ Thanks for the info, that's what I thought.

You'd think an elite athlete would think "how is doing a curl going to help my game."

Sprint cycling coach I know tells me it's a bit arse backwards as well, he gets his athletes to squat, clean, and deadlift. The deadlift especially helps in the start as the motion is similar.

No chance you can just mention the exercises? No need to attach them to a club name, we all know most of them train like shit anyway.

You'd think they'd have a closer look at how NFL teams train.

Off leg conditioning

on leg conditioning

Well that wasn't so bad, I expected all of it to be like program five.

Seems like as the number of the program goes up so does the silliness.

One would be ok if they weren't squatting what they bench. (and using respectable weights, my girlfriend deadlifted 60kg on her first go and there's a 14 year old girl at my gym who squats 105kg...) Oh shit I just noticed smith machine squats...

Why the core exercises if they are squatting and deadlifting? Guess they aren't going heavy enough though. And no mention of progression. Oh ok they increase sets and reps. Cool, you'd have to be a great athlete to squat 50kg for 4x8...

Lack of powercleans, lack of squatting after the first program, wtf is going on in number 5.

Is there something that I'm not getting here?

Seriously, the guys who wrote this shit have 6 degrees between them. One is a Phd. They should know better.

EDIT:

Off leg conditioning

on leg conditioning

Wow.