• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
That is right, but do you think ASADA wont care anymore now that Wilks has gone to one of the main radio jockeys in Australia and current affairs shows.

I would assume it is almost certain that ASADA will address such complaints now greater attention has been given to it. This is just logical.

You may be right, I have no idea. It comes down to political will. The Coalition don't seem to put much stock into the Australian Crime Commission report, so it might go nowhere.

There are lots of policy difficulties with any attempt to bring all sporting activity under ASADA's umbrella. The main one is that you can't force someone to submit to a drug test: a blood test is a medical procedure which you can't force someone to undertake without consent, and a urine test is quite embarrassing and humiliating and to force someone to do it would arguably breach human rights obligations. Trying to sanction non-WADA compliant sporting bodies is futile IMO - it is tantamount to trying to ban an organisation. As we have seen with anti-bikies laws, there are constitutional and human rights problems with this path. Freedom of association is also a political right under Australia's international treaty obligations.

Doping might be criminalised and prosecuted based on investigations, ie no analytical testing, which is the way anti-doping is trending worldwide (since it is actually more effective than testing anyway), eg Balco and Lance Armstrong.

i am only making assumptions based on what i know, and of Wilks's personality.

Like i said before, players use a given context to make their case. Wilks used the context, much greater interest in drugs in sport, to show what ASADA did not do when it could have.

Now it may be that ASADA will still do nothing, which i doubt very much. Govt depts do indeed lift their game when greater attention goes on them.

If ASADA still does nothing, and knowing the tenacity of Wilks and what the law and WADC says (since 2005), the matter will go to the press again.

I dont think it is hard to conclude that powerlifting is going to come under greater scrutiny.

As the Boy Scouts say, 'Be Prepared'. Or stick your head in the sand.

As for the Coaliton, it will merely react to more important players in regard to sports debate, again depending on how much controversy is generated. Following AFL events, i expect it willbe quite a lot.

Remember, it is AFL and NRL which is involved. This provides a momentum for change which is similar to what the cycling drama caused in France and Italy where pro cyclers are revered.

It is a new era, so past history means little.

Last edited:
This is the Coalition's position; hardly soft.

Call for ASADA to take over drugs probe
  • April 28, 20131:53PM
THE Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority would be the main investigator of drugs in sport under a coalition government, justice spokesman Michael Keenan says.

Mr Keenan says the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) is the body that deals specifically with anti-doping and its powers should be beefed up.
"They need to be given the resources and the powers to do that job properly," Mr Keenan told ABC TV on Sunday.
This would allow the most powerful law enforcement agency, the Australian Crime Commission (ACC), to focus on criminals such as bikie gangs and crime kingpins, Mr Keenan said.
"The Crime Commission has those extensive powers means they should be focusing on the most serious criminals that we do have," he said.
"That what's we will direct them to do if we do get a chance to govern in September."
The ACC released a year-long investigation into drugs in sport in February.

Among its findings were it identified criminal networks were involved in the distribution of doping products and the links could have led to fixed matches and manipulation of betting markets.
Mr Keenan said the ACC had investigated this area extensively but ASADA assume control.
"It is time for ASADA to take the running on it," he said.

Maybe it's just me but I think this will have little impact apart from Wilks
fanning the PA vs CAPO flames. Will powerlifitng be on the Radar because of Wilk's comments? Na.
I think because we are so passionate about our sport we forget how marginalized it is. As it has been said before bocce gets more attention

Perhaps.

However, there are several reasons why I think it will get a focus. First, Wilks is persistent and he probably will ensure that ASADA and public attention will be given to the sport.

Two, and linked to point one, powerlifting is a sport that receives public funding via drug testing. Not sure what cost would be, but would be probably be about $50,000-$100,000 gven high costs of tests and travel required by ASADA officials. May be even much higher.

Three, in my opinion, looks like wada code extends to all sporting federations in terms of what is expected of govt since 2005 What strong enough says about lifters (caught on drugs) being allowed to move from PA to other feds is a point that will be argued by PA.

I dont think other powerlifting feds will go away; they just may have much greater pressure placed on them to change.

As a tax payer I say scrap public funding for drug testing in powerlifting anyway. What a waste of money.

I have always been surprised that PA got public funded drug testing.

I think it is because of a historical association with drugs and strength sports; and some good lobbying.

USAPL funds all of its own testing.

Nevertheless, i think govt funding for tests in powerlifting is here to stay for many years yet.

Last edited:
Drug tested powerlifting involves a couple hundred people at most Australia wide. Why is it getting public money.

*Deleted quote*

Lol. You have no idea what you are talking about. If I powerlift one day PA is as good a place as any for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
*Deleted quote*

Tax payer funding for drug testing in a sport involving minimal number of people. Waste of money. If it was an Olympic sport fair enough but its not. Tax payers shouldn't have to pay for it.

Tax payer funding for drug testing in a sport involving minimal number of people. Waste of money. If it was an Olympic sport fair enough but its not. Tax payers shouldn't have to pay for it.

Id rather pay for centrelink recipients to be asada tested. That would do much better for the country as a whole.

PL testing is good but its such a small population that it affects.

*Deleted quote*

I am an IPF fan too. It has better judging and I like raw being raw rather than knee wraps.

*Deleted Post*

I am just saying I don't agree with tax payer funded testing in powerlifting. Not going into the rest of it.

Is that right SP?

Does not the USAPL pays for its own testing and have IPF affiliation.

I am not sure if ASADA actually provides info about total cost per test and sport. If it did, I hope it includes administration and travel costs of officials.

I can tell you that in 2011-2012, it got around $13 million from govt sources and carred out '3,996 government-funded tests across 45 sports and 3,200 user-pays tests for Australian sporting bodies and other organisations'. Not allowing for revenue from user-pay, you can calculate that total public cost versus no.of tests is quite high.

In 2012, IPF data reveals PA got around 59 tests, including 29 out of comp tests.

From memory that is its lowest level of tests in years. Previous year 98 tests, 24 out of comp.

Last edited:
*Deleted Post*

Where did I say I have no issue of testing with ten pin bowling???

I have as much of an issue with it as powerlifting. Tax payer funded drug testing of these minor sports is a waste.

Perhaps, but until you or someone else does the maths, your comments are just guess work.

What would need to be calculated would be revenue and cost of drug tests and how many tests per lifters in terms of ratio.

For example, USAPL 2010, revenue just $168,000 but drug expenses of around $55,000 with not one cent of public money.

Perhaps, but until you or someone else does the maths, your comments are just guess work.

What would need to be calculated would be revenue and cost of drug tests and how many tests per lifters in terms of ratio.

For example, USAPL 2010, revenue just $168,000 but drug expenses of around $55,000 with not one cent of public money.

So by that its possible then.