• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
But they are sticking to AAS.

Don't know, but I do know a lot of IPF lifters still like taking gear given the high number of lifters being caught.

The IPF also has a high rate of positive tests,a reality that led the IPF president to state that thisis ‘surely not good for our sport’ given the IPF’s quest for Olympic Gamesinclusion (IPF 2013). During 2012, the IPF had a positive test result of 4.6% for the total 2218 tests itconducted (IPF2013). This included a 7.2% rate for elite lifters, involving 275 ICT and 57OCT, and 4.1% from the 1886 tests conducted by national IPF affiliates (IPF2013).

Any way, GPC is he biggest Aussie fed now in terms of membership.

You can't state this as fact Spartacus given that you (and anyone else outside of PA) has no idea of the membership numbers. I've been told its around 1000, as there are many members who do not compete.

You can't state this as fact Spartacus given that you (and anyone else outside of PA) has no idea of the membership numbers. I've been told its around 1000, as there are many members who do not compete.

hey, why not ask wilks. This is what he wrote to IPF,

with Wilks himself providing an estimate of 500lifters to the IPF’s annual report in line with the number of drug tests taken (IPF2013).

me think GPC is biggest and fact.

Get over it.

fact is numbers should be transparent, but they are not, are they?

In contrast, GPC always updates its membership list.

hey bozo, I actually counted number of lifters in 2012, and sticky did it in 2013, and no where near 1000.

let us keep debate to lifters, not member spectators.

I can't believe that after 20 years of govt assistance and recognition, PA is not the biggest fed in Australia.

maybe in 2014, PA numbers increased, but who knows given it is not disclosed.

But, PA probably still only has barely half of all Aussie lifters.

GPC would have closer to 1000 members if we counted non-lifters and officials too lol.

Fact is, you could have 7000 members, but if only 200 compete, it's not really a real indication of your federation, is it.

All we can go off is competitor numbers, that's what is relevant to lifters.

GPC is now up to almost 650 financial and competitive lifters.

I'm holding a comp at my gym next week, 166 lifters have registered.
Lots of competition in each weight class.

Its too bad there are not as many people showing up to the nsw state champs as qld. :(
Doing a great job up that way Scotty. There are alot of 100kg class lifter in NSW. Only 5 showed up for NSW states. Hell, i got 3rd with 545. Is it a marketing issue?

GPC is growing nation wide, but I live and breathe Australian powerlifting - and it reflects in my shows.

Next year in Sydney will be much bigger, we just need a little more liaison with the local lifters down there :)

What I like about GPC is that they make it easy for people to just give it a go. The most popular sports in Australia all do this. You have social soccer teams and so on. When you're just starting in a sport, you don't know if you want to dedicate years of your life to it. PA requires you be a member, wear the official gear which you have to buy from the USA, make yourself available for drug testing, and so on. That's a big investment just to do your first ever competition squat of 100kg. The people who organise GPC also organise novice meets, just show up in shirt and shorts and lift.

Imagine if you had to join the IAAF just to run in a high school meet, or sign up with the VFL just to play kick-to-kick.

This is the reason GPC has grown a lot. It also has a lot of churn, a lot of people join for a year, lift once or twice and then are never seen again. But that's okay - they were able to give it a go.

Similar issues apply with weightlifting, which is why last year we had 462 people compete even though there are 842 accredited coaches.

Last edited:
Don't know, but I do know a lot of IPF lifters still like taking gear given the high number of lifters being caught.

Yes. Compared to other feds in Australia, PA has 100% more lifters suspended or banned than any other.

hqdefault.jpg

What I like about GPC is that they make it easy for people to just give it a go. The most popular sports in Australia all do this. You have social soccer teams and so on. When you're just starting in a sport, you don't know if you want to dedicate years of your life to it. PA requires you be a member, wear the official gear which you have to buy from the USA, make yourself available for drug testing, and so on. That's a big investment just to do your first ever competition squat of 100kg. The people who organise GPC also organise novice meets, just show up in shirt and shorts and lift.

Imagine if you had to join the IAAF just to run in a high school meet, or sign up with the VFL just to play kick-to-kick.

This is the reason GPC has grown a lot. It also has a lot of churn, a lot of people join for a year, lift once or twice and then are never seen again. But that's okay - they were able to give it a go.

Similar issues apply with weightlifting, which is why last year we had 462 people compete even though there are 842 accredited coaches.

Good points.

I do agree with this statement - I'd still rather lift in a drug tested fed (and the 'official' one), but it is painful to have to get the right gear, become a member of PA etc to compete even once. IMO it's the singular reason we don't have more lifters, apart from the fragmentation of having several federations for an already small sport.

How does it compare to soccer or football? Don't they have to buy gear to compete? Same with other sports, from water volleyball to basketball. Pretty sure you would have to join any team in order to compete. Not just rock up in your grungies and hope for the best.

While beginners comps may get people to turn up, it's not like other sports where you have to practice with others in a team in order to perform. So beginner comps are just ice breakers. I'm pretty sure that if a few gyms got together for an informal comp, that would not prevent the same people from competing in an "official" PA comp.

Some of the young guys from my gym have competed in beginners comps and, frankly, they would have done just as well in a real comp, plus their results would have counted towards qualifying for Nats.

So I guess that what I'm trying to say is that I don't see the PA system as being any less valid. It's different, but there are pros and cons for both systems.

I do agree with this statement - I'd still rather lift in a drug tested fed (and the 'official' one), but it is painful to have to get the right gear, become a member of PA etc to compete even once
Not only that, but the drug-testing. Those who have never taken nor would ever contemplate taking drugs, and who are newbies to the sport, will think it's all a bullshit waste of their time. I have to let some guy from ASADA interrupt my Sunday night dinner, go to the toilet with me and watch my penis while I urinate so I can prove my 100kg bench was not tainted by drugs? Seriously? That's how the newbie thinks.

WoodyAllen said:
How does it compare to soccer or football? Don't they have to buy gear to compete? Same with other sports, from water volleyball to basketball. Pretty sure you would have to join any team in order to compete. Not just rock up in your grungies and hope for the best.

It depends on the level. You can join social leagues and the cost is fairly minimal, and you don't have to buy gear from a few selected US or EU companies. As you go up levels it becomes more formal, but people understand that. They just don't understand why a newbie lifter has to act like they're at the fucking AIS or something.

Of course they don't realise that with just a few hundred active lifters, there simply aren't enough people to make it worthwhile to have lots of different levels.

WoodyAllen said:
I'm pretty sure that if a few gyms got together for an informal comp, that would not prevent the same people from competing in an "official" PA comp.

I think it would. From the PA regulations,

"any person who is a Member of P.A. and,to the satisfaction of the Board, is found to have taken out a membership or participated as alifter, coach or official in the activities of any powerlifting organisation which does notadhere to an Anti-Doping Policy substantially similar to the Anti-Doping Policy of P.A. maybe deemed by ruling of the Board to have forfeited their membership and that membershipmay be cancelled."​

People from GPC and CAPO run novice meets. At these meets there is no winner declared, nor can records be set. When my wife went, her bench press, had it been in a GPC meet, would have been a submasters record. It didn't count, it was a novice meet. She joined GPC, went to States and set the record.

Recently my lifters asked about going to PA - they don't like knee wraps and the ubiquity of drug use, they understand "drug-tested" does not mean "drug-free", but hope that testing would at least make it less blatant. So I talked to Wilks, President of PA. He said that any PA member may not participate in a novice meet, whether lifting, coaching, spotting, scoring or whatever. If my lifters go to PA, I can't go backstage to coach them unless I'm also a member of PA. So if my lifters join, I have to join.

He further explained that if I'm a member, then if they go to a non-PA meet, if I go and coach them on the day I'd be binned from PA - even if they themselves are not (yet?) members of PA. And if I'm binned from PA, my lifters who are members of PA will then come under investigation until they stop training with me. If they're kicked out for some reason, I can't have them in my gym. In an email after the conversation he said, "[...] if you were a good & loyal PA member & say a lifter you were coaching went off the rails & got themselves suspended or booted you would have to disown them for the period of their suspension."

He also looked at my website, and said that I would have to remove all mentions and photographs of people lifting in other federations' meets, establishing records in them and so on. He said, "the sins of the past can be forgotten."

PA is like a jealous girlfriend who wants to pretend you're a virgin and will never even look at another woman. I laid it all out for my current lifters, and asked some past lifters too for balance. One of them said, "It's all rather a big hassle just to come last." That's the newbie perspective. Of course, we all know that if they keep coming then eventually they won't come last. But you have to get them started before they can keep going.

All this is to do with ASADA and government recognition. I don't believe there's malice on Wilks' part, though of course anyone in charge of an organisation for a long time will have it go to their head to an extent. This is the price you pay for dealing with government. Nonetheless, the result is that PA does not make it easy for newbies to just give it all a go.

Which is why I say that GPC, and to a lesser extent CAPO, have the good aspect that they make it as easy as possible for new lifters to give it a go, and PA does not. There are aspects I don't like, but welcoming new lifters is something they do well. And since the people who walk into my gym are not people with 10 years of serious lifting behind them, how newbies are treated is most important to me.

Last edited:
[MENTION=13432]WoodyAllen[/MENTION]; I believe it's a bit of a grey area; the question of running informal comps had been asked of our coach who seemed to think that you couldn't run anything unless it was an official, sanctioned event.

On the other hand, I'll compete in several other comps this year, since I've already forked out for the PA membership and singlet, hopefully there'll be a bit more of a regional Vic powerlifting scene, since apart from us, it's mostly centered in Melbourne.