• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Orders in which exercises should be done?

gents.bond

G'day All,

I have been doing Rippetoe's starting strength workout. As many of you must be knowing one of the workout involves squats, press and power cleans. Today i got one of the trainers at my gym to check my technique specially for squats and power cleans. and i do 3 sets of 5 reps for squat, followed by 3 sets of 5 reps for press and then 5 sets of 3 reps for power clean. The trainer recommended that i should do power cleans first as its an explosive exercise and after doing squats and press I have already spent much of my energy. i dont know .. whether that makes any sense or not?? Any suggestions and opinions??

It does not matter. But I would would be doing cleans then press then squats as mentioned above.
Posted via Mobile Device

Or you could do squats, cleans, then finish with press. When you're ready to train you're ready to train. I've done squats last and I've done squats first; both work.

Fadi.

I would do the press first as you can hurt your back if it is already tired form earlier exercises

then cleans, and then squats., usually i do cleans and deads, cleans make a great warmup for deads, you tend to do more reps with squats.

well good point .. i was actually about to ask that i have a bit of a concern with press. so far its alright but i m worried i wont hurt my lower back while doing press. I am trying to lift in a same plane ( over head.. moving my head back and forth while the bar is going up) May be its just a matter of time when i will get use to this exercise. My trainer suggested we need strong oblique muscles for press it protects the back, I m doing cable woodchops to get stronger obliques??

Weighted back extensions, (not hyperextensions) would be another powerful tool to use to strengthen the whole lumbar region of your back.

backextension_large.jpg

posterior-spinal-anatomy.jpg

Fadi.

Last edited:
Weighted back extensions, (not hyperextensions) would be another powerful tool to use to strengthen the whole lumbar region of your back.

backextension_large.jpg

posterior-spinal-anatomy.jpg

Fadi.
Thanks Fadi .. yeah this exercise was one of my favourites .. i was doing it with 20 kg weight 3X10 reps. but yeah ever since i m doing rippetoe i have stopped doing it. but surely i will get it back into my routine!! thanks heaps!

With starting strength there should not be so much volume in it that your back is in trouble, if you are finding that so then you obviously have a erector problem (weakness, injury).

With starting strength there should not be so much volume in it that your back is in trouble, if you are finding that so then you obviously have a erector problem (weakness, injury).

well as i mentioned above... so far there is no problems with the press but as its a new movement for me .. i have never done presses in my life before ( i started 3 weeks ago) so still getting use to the movement. And i reckon my back is perhaps my strongest body part after legs!!

Then you won't have a problem, do not worry about it and just do the program as rippetoe states it he is a better coach than me.

I am just reinforcing his points, you should read his book its pretty good at explaining the lifts and his training system.

yeah Oliver strongly recommended me his book and dvd .. i got both .. certainly i m progressing .. intially i was doing squat with 140 with 3X5 sets .. but my depth for squat was barely parallel to the floor .. now i m doing full squat (hams touching calves) so the weights have dropped but i i feel more stronger now!!! his dvd is very informative and the book .. oh thats encyclopaedia of these main lifts!!

Gents,

Squat comes first because its generally the most taxing. A press is next because it breaks up the squat and deadlift (or power clean) which use a lot of the same muscles.

As the other guys said, usually cleans come first but as the power clean isnt the most complicated exercise I wouldnt worry.

yeah Oliver strongly recommended me his book and dvd .. i got both .. certainly i m progressing .. intially i was doing squat with 140 with 3X5 sets .. but my depth for squat was barely parallel to the floor .. now i m doing full squat (hams touching calves) so the weights have dropped but i i feel more stronger now!!! his dvd is very informative and the book .. oh thats encyclopaedia of these main lifts!!

Its a great book, its really good to see people reading it. I've not heard a negative review yet.

Gents,

Squat comes first because its generally the most taxing.
Oli, as far as I am concerned, I find the cleans to be most taxing of all movements (apart from the C&J of course). Here you have the pull and the front squat in one complete explosive movement. Squats is something a weightlifter looks forward to for some relaxation (or at least I did [could be my 5'4 frame]).

Sorry if you meant something else by your answer Oli or was actually answering someone's point in particular. In that case, please disregard what I wrote.

Fadi.

Fadi,

Rip wrote the program with the focus on building the slow lifts (the squat, bench, press and deadlift) which he considered to have the most carryover to athletic activity. Of these he stressed the importance of building the squat the most central of the movements.

I'd agree that cleans and snatches are way more taxing and require as little fatigue as possible, but if the main purpose is to build the slow lifts I dont think they should come first. Also, Rip uses the power clean rather than a full clean as his main exercise which is the less technical lift.

Horses for courses. I dont think the world would end if he cleaned first, but the program has more of a slow lift focus and is designed to give a break between lower body exercises.

dont mean to call you out fadi ><

As I said it really does not matter one bit. His effort in the gym, technique, food and sleep are much more important things to worry about.
Posted via Mobile Device