• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Just to clear a few things up..

unibum

Hi all great forum you have here.

I have been reading articles upon articles and threads upon threads..

Now, it seems to me allot of this is about free weights and the whole
idea of:

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

just using that as an example. So in theory if I continue with a program
like that I should be right? Aiming for three days on and four days off

Also I am aiming to eat 2000 calories a day based on my
weight and height. Do you think I am eating too little?

As for these supplement/protein shakes they have some what confused me
now if I was to go and jump in my car to buy one am I buying one from
a proper supplement store or the local chemist?

Where do I go? And what is a good one for building muscle?

In addition is there any tips or secrets to getting the muscle on?

Thanks for your help and sorry for being such a noob
Cheers

You need to search and read this forum about nutrition and lifting. I want to spoon feed you but Rather empower you. You can do it! Search on my friend :)

idea of:

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

Yes, that's correct. Make sure your adding 2.5kg a session though. Always want to move forward.

Well that all depends on your weight, height and goals. All I which I have no idea about.

No need to leave your house at all. I recommend BioFlex or bulk nutrients, sponsors of this site.
Just get WPC, and super fine oats for carbs.

The secret is, there is no secret. You will be best off learning that now, rather than spending your first 12 months trying to find out what this "secret" is.
Consistency and dedication in reguards to training and nutrition is all you need.

Cheers

Answers in bold big fella.
Hope it helps.

Who are you.
What do you want?

yeah ok ill continue looking and digging deeper into the forum

as for:
Who are you.
What do you want?

I am nobody and I am your typical skinny male

Well my aim was that I could build myself up to enter
a power lifting competition some six months down the
track and then work on wards from that.

I hope that answers the question, basically I want muscle?

here are some stats: 10% body fat and I weigh 60kg I have put
about 4kg on in the past three weeks.

thanks

idea of:

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

Cheers

Just start. Your focus need not be on supplements just yet. If you must, I'd say a protein and fish oil supplement would be fine. I use ON whey, but the forum sponsors also supply some good stuff too.

I'd focus on getting the diet right (2000 calories is too little, i'd probably eat more than this).

Focus on compound movements. Are you just starting out or have you been training a while?

Cheers,
Sam

You are NOT a 'nobody'.

You are a guy, xxx tall, xxx weight (exact please), aiming to do xxx in xxx time period because of xxx (again, exact as you can). You currently eat xxx calories/kilojoules per day (track and see, or name your diet) and you have put on/ not put on xxx weight since training started xxx months/years ago. You have been training xxx days/months/years with weights (in your life). You train at home/in a gym/ by yourself/with a partner xxx times a week. You perform some type of cardio exercise (even just walking for 30 mins+ with no break) xxx times a week.

More info from you will equal plenty of advice from us. Otherwise, we're just guessing.

Last edited:
Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

I have been using that routine for several weeks now and it's working great, you just got to keep adding weight as soon as you can, but do not push too hard or you will hurt yourself, learn good form and be patient.

I have tried many many commercial protein shakes, and have worked out that most are inferior mixes of ingredients designed to make the seller rich. I now buy all my protein from Bulk Nutrients, order on line you can pay with pay pal and it gets delivered fast. Just buy the WPC or WPI, I have both and actually prefer the WPC taste.

You get more purer protein form a lot less money without all the fillers designed to maxemise profits.

All the info is in this forum, just keep reading mate:)

I would recommend BN Protein Powder, a general multi vitamin and fish oil supplement. That should really do you nicely.

I use these:

AM:
Super Nutrients Mens | Nature's Way

PM
Rest & Restore Night Multivitamin for Men | Nature's Way

And just get some bulk fish oil, Priceline Pharmacy have 400 capsules for $9.99 at the moment.

Protein:
WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE (WPC) - 1KG

WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE (WPI) - 1KG

Creatine is another supplement that is actually cheap and one of the few that actually works:

http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/amino-acids/creatine-monohydrate

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
You are a guy, 172 tall,60kg weight (exact please), aiming to do xxx in xxx time period because of xxx (again, exact as you can). You currently eat 1800 I have seen a dietitian to work out eating stuff calories/kilojoules per day (track and see, or name your diet) and you have put on/ not put on 3/4Kg weight since training started 3 months/years ago. You have been training for 3 months (although I went to a gym for 6 months last year had a 4 month break and am now back into it again days/months/years with weights (in your life). You train at home/in a gym/ by yourself/with a partner 3 times a week. You perform some type of cardio exercise (even just walking for 30 mins+ with no break) 3 times a week.

With the cardio I tend to do 5 minutes on a bike, then lift weights and finish with a 5minute rowing session. I also walk 1.5km 4 times a week.

I have not really set aims as i do not know what I am capable of achieving in say 6 months time. I saw a PT yesterday and he said the most I could bicep curl for example in that time is 15kg.

Do I need to sit down and work out exactly what I want? I guess I am aiming in the dark a little but I guess if the torso part of my body and my arms looked like they had muscle that would be ok. I can leg press my current weight. So i am not leaving the legs behind, I have seen guys that do and it doesnt look right,

I am doing 3 sets of 10 increasing intensity in each set, but only by little amounts. I can only bench press max 20kg, bicep curls 5kg, dead lift 20kg,
I hope that gives some idea. Seated row (machine) I can do 45-50kg those are the only things I can think off on the top of my head

I am taking Thompson Salmon Oil as per subscribed by the diet person. I was using musashi bulk as protein. last year i used 2 raw eggs, milk and honey

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
I have not really set aims as i do not know what I am capable of achieving in say 6 months time. I saw a PT yesterday and he said the most I could bicep curl for examplein thattime is15kg.

Don't go back to that PT no coach in any profession sets or tells you a maximum amount you will be able to lift in any time frame. That is just terrible coaching and extremely negative. Set a minimum and aim for the stars. Secondly it is a biceps curl and what you can lift is unimportant compared to your deadlift, squat, press and row.

With the cardio I tend to do 5 minutes on a bike, then lift weights and finish with a 5minute rowing session. I also walk 1.5km 4 times a week.

I have not really set aims as i do not know what I am capable of achieving in say 6 months time. I saw a PT yesterday and he said the most I could bicep curl for example in that time is 15kg.

Do I need to sit down and work out exactly what I want? I guess I am aiming in the dark a little but I guess if the torso part of my body and my arms looked like they had muscle that would be ok. I can leg press my current weight. So i am not leaving the legs behind, I have seen guys that do and it doesnt look right,

I am doing 3 sets of 10 increasing intensity in each set, but only by little amounts. I can only bench press max 20kg, bicep curls 5kg, dead lift 20kg,
I hope that gives some idea. Seated row (machine) I can do 45-50kg those are the only things I can think off on the top of my head

I am taking Thompson Salmon Oil as per subscribed by the diet person. I was using musashi bulk as protein. last year i used 2 raw eggs, milk and honey

Thanks for the help

Mate that PT sounds like a dick, don't waste your money.

So you are saying you can squat 60kg but only bicep curl 5kg?? You either got that wrong or you have never really tried or been shown correctly.....5kg bicep curl can not be right, my 8 year old daughter can do that, and so can my 74 year old mother (seriously she can) how do you lift the shopping from the trolley into your car, how did you carry your school bag when you are/were at school or uni??

I am sure you can curl a LOT more than 5kg, or you would have trouble dressing yourself, going shopping, going to un or doing any sort of job for work.

On the other hand a 60kg squat would be a great starting point for your 60kg frame IMO.

Mick, I guessed he was talking about the weight he could do 3x10 for bicep curls, not a single lift. If so 3x10 @15 would be pretty good in 6 months.

I think a lot of PT's ask people what they want, but clients don't really know or won't say, or aren't specific enough. "I want to be strong" is still a pretty subjective and vague statement.

How many people new to lifting would walk in and say "I want to Deadlift 2xBW, squat 2xBW and Bench 1xBW in 6 months time, and I don't give a flying fark about how I look or if I can't run 50 metres.

Not that I have much faith in PT's (especially the ones at my gym) but clients don't give them much direction a lot of the time.

Also, a lot of people seem kind of reluctant and in there first session with a PT are all like "oh this is hard, Im tired, do I have to do more?!". After all that whinging doing just a general conditioning session they aren't going to expect someone to be super motivated and stick to a gruelling, heavy program and stick to a strict nutritional plan.

Then the person comes on here and we all laugh at their program and tell them their PT is a dick. Im guilty of it myself...

Anyway unibum good luck with it all, just get stuck in and you'll notice some results in a couple of weeks and you'll realise what you like and what you hate and what is possible and what is required and whether you still want it or not.

And 3x10 for deadlifts is a lot. I do 1x5 (albeit after a fair few warm up sets). Id be surprised if you couldn't do 1x5 @ 60kg in a couple of weeks.

15kg isn't even an empty Olympic bar lol.

Rachel and Leah both curled ~18kg on the training bar for 15 reps when they were training with me and both are mothers in their 30s

If he can only curl a 5kg bar (unless he's talking about DBs) then he would struggle to pick up a jar of coffee lol

As far as deadlifting, if it's stiff leg or romanian deadlifts then 3x10 is good. He'd probably still get away with powerlifting style for a while as well. sets of 10 the weight is much lighter than for 5s so the body takes less of a beating.
Otherwise he can be slightly crazy and program deadlifts as 12 doubles as I plan on doing lol

15kg isn't even an empty Olympic bar lol.

Rachel and Leah both curled ~18kg on the training bar for 15 reps when they were training with me and both are mothers in their 30s

If he can only curl a 5kg bar (unless he's talking about DBs) then he would struggle to pick up a jar of coffee lol

As far as deadlifting, if it's stiff leg or romanian deadlifts then 3x10 is good. He'd probably still get away with powerlifting style for a while as well. sets of 10 the weight is much lighter than for 5s so the body takes less of a beating.
Otherwise he can be slightly crazy and program deadlifts as 12 doubles as I plan on doing lol

I definitely thought he was talking dumbells and I would struggle to do 3x10 at 15kg each. Then again I don't do bicep curls, and Im not very strong.

I envy you - you're in the prime growing time for a newbie trainee (witness your current gains already) and you can reasonably expect to add 10 kgs of muscle/bloat weight in the next 2 years with just about any decent program of pushing iron and diet. Wish I was back there and had that chance again... sigh.

No, 2000 calories is not enough for what you are currently doing. I'd add in one extra shake a day as I outline below, or/and up your meals to get at least 500 calories+ extra into you daily. That might be as simple as pencilling in a 4pm snack, every day including weekends, of just about anything. If you're out and about, grab a hamburger, some sushi or gyoza, a souvlaki or maybe a Nando's 'little hotties'. But make it a MEAL, and make sure you get it in everyday.

Your shake could be (and this is just a suggestion, but it tastes amazing and is a complete meal of nearly 1000 calories):

500mls of organic milk, or regular full fat if you can't afford that
3 scoops of your protein powder
2 tbsp of chia seeds (health food section of any super)
2 tbsp almond butter (health food section of any super)
good sprinkle of cinnamon (or Cassia as it is known - Dutch Cinnamon)
Mix and drink this just before bed - delish. And then enjoy feeling your body grow as you sleep.. its very anabolic. A week of these, along with your training, and you'll begin to understand what taking your body composition into your own hands is all about. :)

My god - in 6 months you could REALLY have something here. So envious...

Go for it.

Hey thanks guys for the support, I am as such a blank canvas
and when I say 5kg I mean those little dumbbells one in each
hand.

I do know that I can do 7.5kg at a 3x10 if not tired

the reason with the ten was that the PT said its better to
do a set of 10 with as much weight as you can kinda thing

Before I saw him was doing 3x15..

call me naive if you must, but there was a reason to joining
here and I am learning allot so thank you

as for the diet, I do an average of 2 shakes a day

1kg of protein powder lasted me about three weeks

dead lift that I was shown was you keep your back straight
and squat and move your hips to pick the bar up with your
legs shoulder width apart.

I have not attempted a squat... ill have to add that to the list.
he basically wasnt interested in helping me make a program
I like a program to track what I am doing...but ill make one

I was worked pretty hard when i went to him cause as gross
as it sounds i went home and puked :/

I cant have nuts due to allergy can I just leave the almond butter out?

who cares if he can curl 5kg or 50kg, as long as progression is there you are all good.

oh btw do the beginner routine and you will grow. Maybe even add chins or dips instead of curls some days if you have time.