• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
He doesn't need to google it, it's in this thread.

Please read the thread before posting. Fair enough if it's 1,000 posts, but this is around 40. Be patient, read the thread before commenting, patience is invaluable in training.

I tried goblet squatting last session and still my butt would round near the bottom.

I tried goblet squatting last session and still my butt would round near the bottom.

The goblet squat is used to teach/ re-teach how to squat, it's not an instant cure.

Think about why the hip is rounding or rotating, what's causing this, why does it happen at that point?

What muscles stabilize the hip?

What muscles are weak and have become so inflexible that are actually creating hip tuck.

How can I increase the strength of the muscle in the full ROM.

What exercises target certain muscles that need strengthening.

You might consider some unilateral work, like lunges and such.

The goblet squat is used to teach/ re-teach how to squat, it's not an instant cure.

Think about why the hip is rounding or rotating, what's causing this, why does it happen at that point?

What muscles stabilize the hip?

What muscles are weak and have become so inflexible that are actually creating hip tuck.

How can I increase the strength of the muscle in the full ROM.

What exercises target certain muscles that need strengthening.

You might consider some unilateral work, like lunges and such.

Poor flexibility.

The butt.

The butt.

Butt exercises?

Stiff legged Deadlift? Right now i do normal DL. Maybe i should swap?

I just tried squatting then. I squatted with my hands crossed over infront of me and i found it hard, i almost fell over. Then when i do it while holding onto a desk, its a lot better.

So do i do goblet squats instead of my squats now, or keep practicing squats?

Okay, quick question. With goblet squats, my elbows touched my legs, is that the depth that i use for the squat? And are you meant to squat down, or squat out?

Right.... Firstly the goblet squat is a tool to teach a person how to squat correctly.

Your elbows should contact the knee like you say, this teaches the person to squat between the knee.

So your body is suspended between the legs, not sitting on top of.

Hip-tuck is an indication of poor hamstring strength, when a muscle is injured or not strength, the protective response is to reduce the ROM of the muscle, reducing it's flexibility.

You need to improve this area, squatting or a squatty movement will not achieve this.

Your butt is not the issue.

You need to find an exercise to isolate the hamstring and work that muscle in a progressive manner through it's full ROM.

The most effective exercise is a leg curl, haven't got access? Do a GHR, haven't got access?
Do stiff legged dead-lifts or good mornings.

Until you strengthen the hamstring, just go deep enough and stop before the hip tucks.

Your hamstring is pulling your hip, your lower back is not strong enough in that range of movement to maintain the natural curvature it needs to maintain the leverages needed to squat a heavy weight.

Lower back strength and hamstring strength are not built by squatting and dead lifting.

Thanks for great advice. My gym has a leg curl so ill just add that into my routine after the squats i guess. Or is there even much point of me doing squats at the moment?

Thanks for great advice. My gym has a leg curl so ill just add that into my routine after the squats i guess. Or is there even much point of me doing squats at the moment?

Yes after.

Keep squatting, over time you will improve.

Consider keeping the reps high, in the twenty to fifty range
Use a weight you can safely and comfortably use for ten rep's.

I'll just add, after squatting, go directly to the next exercise, don't rest at all and work to fatigue in good form. And then a couple more half reps if you can, one set should be enough, when you get to twelve reps in good form increase the weight work back up to twelve and so-on.

Good luck, keep me posted.

I'll just add, after squatting, go directly to the next exercise, don't rest at all and work to fatigue in good form. And then a couple more half reps if you can, one set should be enough, when you get to twelve reps in good form increase the weight work back up to twelve and so-on.

Good luck, keep me posted.

Are you talking about squatting here, as in i do 1 set of squatting with 12 reps? And only go to good form, even if its parallel?

Thanks for taking time to help me.

Are you talking about squatting here, as in i do 1 set of squatting with 12 reps? And only go to good form, even if its parallel?

Thanks for taking time to help me.
No I'm talking, after your squatting for reps and sets...
One set of the leg curls, perfect full range form to muscular fatigue

Hey silverback, just thought id let you know how im doing. I went from hamstring curl from 20kg for 10 reps x 3 sets to now 20kg for 20 reps x 3 sets. I upped the weight 5 reps each session and ill up the weight next session. This is how my squat looks:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lDbvaZAmD8&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - CLIP1159[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89rMxL8tMvw&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - CLIP1160[/ame]

Nice LMD1234,
Your squats are looking good. Just to nitpick and someone correct me if i am wrong but your 1st squat on the 1st video was one of the best, notice on your 2nd rep you lean forward a tad with your hips and knees extending at disjointed time. Happens when you start to get fatigued but really try and concentrate.

As i said i'm nitpicking and someone correct me if i am wrong, and once again great squats.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited:
The changes i have noticed are: Stronger hamstrings:D, felt like deadlift form is better too. And best of all no lower back pain from squats anymore.

Thanks so much for your help, otherwise im sure i wouldn't have made any difference to my squatting issues.