• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Btw when you guys say deep do you mean when the back of your legs are almost parallel with the knees? cause I go a little higher...

i can see what jon is saying, i use the 'rebound' technique to my advantage too. when i force myself to stop higher (cutting depth) i don't seem to be as explosive from the bottom.

i think this is more applicable to high bar olympic squats.

I'm taught this in low bar squatting. Smooth descent, then punch/drop fast into the hole and bounce out of it.

Oliver: deep for me means the crease of the hips is at least a good inch or more below the top of the knees. Back of legs parallel with knees is shallow squatting, that'd be 2 inches above parallel with my body/leverage.

Btw when you guys say deep do you mean when the back of your legs are almost parallel with the knees? cause I go a little higher...

Its when the carpet tickles your ball sack!

if you want to do squats and focus on your quads, do front squats, do them deep.

Oli just quater squat and you will be fine. You have to start working out in a commercial gym though.

If you want to target your quads Oli, do high bar full squats AFTER your regular squats, 3 sets of 10.

Use them as an assistance exercise.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN-Oh_8bP4I]YouTube - Max 172.5kg squat.MP4[/ame]

1283265262586.png

watch max's video for definition of deep

i think im one of the deeper squatters at my gym, i use the depth to bounce out of the hole, kinda what big mac is going on about

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi5F-ZeysBg[/ame]

How did no one notice Oli trolling?

P.S - some sweet squatting JDizzle, though you don't find your spotter physically touching/being that close annoying?

Last edited:
You werent wearing a belt under there hay JDizzle?

Guess i'll keep on going without one then, but is the bounce out of the bottom a sort of cheat or just part and parcel of deep squats?

If it's cheating, you should probably tell all Oly lifters that their squats don't count.

And I think Oliver likes to call them standing leg extensions, JDizzle.

What i meant is in comps do you have to pause at the bottom most point in squats? Same with bench do you have to pause when the bar touches yr chest for the lift to count?

Happy days if it doesn't as I can lift far more without a pause and using the bounce so to speak.

Last edited:
I think if I bounced at the bottom of a heavy squat I'd tear the shit out of my glutes.

Like you did that time you went too heavy with the deadlifts? Is this where the name "El Freako" comes from?

Last edited by a moderator:
What can i do if my butt tucks in slightly near the end of the squat. Stretches? how long ect? what stretch? Sorry if someone has posted this before, i must have missed it.