• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

CAPO State Titles

He did his first PL comp in 2008 I think but not sure how long he has been training full on - he also did a bodybuilding comp in 2008 I think.

Weighed 82 on my scales this morning.
Off to the sauna tonight and Friday arvo as I may now be able to weigh in late friday arvo. Fingers crossed.
I'm aiming for a 97.5 bench, 142.5 squat, 200 deadlift. I haven't deadlifted since Easter though....

Quick question for experienced lifters, openers?
I read that PTC recomends that your 1st lift is something you can do x3.
So I was thinking
85kg, 92.5kg, 97.5kg
125kg, 135kg, 142.5kg
175kg, 185kg, 200kg

does this look ok?
I normally do ALOT of sets doing a 1rm, this 3 lifts business is all new to me.
For example, my 205 went warm ups

Sorry for all the newbness, I just don't know what to expect.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Here is something I did for my lifters yesterday. Seeing I feel partly responsible for your entering, I think its only fair I share it with you.

PTC LIFTERS COMPETING AT CAPO STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS
As most of you are novice first time lifters, I thought I’d prepare a few notes for you.

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to compete. I feel after 2 years, PTC lifters are ready to step onto the big stage and see where they stand. I take great pride in knowing that those lifting under the PTC banner have little to no experience lifting elsewhere, with a couple of exceptions. Where other gyms have elite lifters walk in, I have a sense of accomplishment knowing we did it together in my garage. I would love to have elite lifters train at PTC, but I get much more from building a lifter up from scratch.

Now I know some of you are going to be nervous, that’s to be expected. You’ll simply have to trust my judgement during warm ups and openers. I am very conservative with opening attempts. Where some class them as their first attempt, I liken them to our last warm up. We don’t miss warm ups. Having an easy opener does two things.

First, it helps eliminate nerves. Second, it gets you in the comp. I just went through the Powerlifting Australia records of the 2009 Nationals. They had 20 lifters bomb, they did not perform a successful attempt at one of the movements.

Some say that’s part of the sport. I say it’s idiotic. Only your best attempt counts, it’s not a compilation of your three attempts. So don’t fret about your openers, I’ll take care of that. For your second and third attempts, we’ll discuss them on the day.

Making contest weight. Some of you are going to be cutting it fine in regards to making weight. First of all, know the weight classes.

56kg
60kg
67.5kg
75kg
82.5kg
90kg
100kg
110kg
125kg
125+ kg

Someone wishing to compete in the 60kg class needs to weigh no more than 60.0kg, preferably 59.9kg. Now for those of you cutting it fine, here are some very simple tips. Making weight is an exact science to some. We can practice that later. For novice lifters, let’s make the whole experience fun and enjoyable.

We have a 24 hour weigh in. That means we weigh in 24 hours before the comp starts. This gives us ample time to eat and regain any weight we have lost in the lead up.

Weigh in starts at 9.30am on Saturday at Body World in Balaclava. Be there at 9.30am. On Friday morning I want you to eat a bowl of porridge for breakfast. At 10.00am I want you to drink a protein shake or meal replacement drink. At 2.00pm I want you to eat a piece of wholegrain bread with peanut butter, repeat at 5.00pm. That’s it, no more eating before weigh in. I want you to stop any fluid intake from 2.00pm. Suck ice and spit if you need to. This is very important

On Friday night I want you to spend as much time as you can in a sauna as possible. No swimming or bathing, no showers. Just sauna and sweat, for as long as you can handle it. We are ridding the body of excess fluid, this is where the most weight loss will occur. You should go to bed no more than 1kg over your required weigh in weight. If when you wake you are still over weight, back to the sauna. Remember, do not shower at all, the skin will absorb up to 2kg of water at this stage.

As soon as you step off the scales on Saturday morning, I want to have 1 litre of a 50/50 mix of Gatorade and water. I now want you to eat every 2 hours before the comp. Ideally you should be lifting at a heavier bodyweight than you were before Friday.

It is possible to manipulate weight loss of up to 15kg in this time frame, and regaining it in 24 hours, but this is extreme and not needed for novice lifters in their first comp.

I will be providing PTC T Shirts for all lifters to wear at the comp. You are required to wear a T Shirt under your lifting singlet. You will also need to provide knee high socks. If you don’t have any, I’ll have knee high Titan socks. Those of you that have squat shoes and deadlift slippers, make sure you pack them in your bag, along with a towel. I’ll bring the chalk.

You will need some heavy warm clothing to wear between lifts, a hoodie and track pants ideally. You may have to wait 20 minutes between attempts.

The lifting will be in flights. Each flight will consist of about 10 lifters. They usually start with the ladies, then teenage or junior men, then the guys up to 90kg then the heavies. Until all registrations are in, the organizers won’t know how many are in each class, so I can’t tell you when you’ll be lifting.

Paul Nay has been very kind in allowing us to join CAPO on the day of the weigh in, and also pay our competition fee on the day of the weigh in.

You will need to roll up with a membership form and a competition entry form filled in on the day.

Membership fees for CAPO are $85 per year, then $60 per year for continuous membership.

Entry fee for the comp is $60.

Weigh in is at Body World Gym, 285 Carlisle Street Balaclava, its upstairs, at 9.30am 15/5/2010

Competition is at Glenferrie Oval, Fergusson Stand, 134 Linda Crescent Hawthorn at 9.30am, doors open at 8.00am, 16/5/2010.

Here is a list of PTC entrants.

MEN OPEN SECTION
Nick 110kg class
Dave 100kg class
Alen 90kg class
Kelly 82.5kg class
Dim 75kg class

MEN JUNIOR CLASS
Jayden 125kg class
Nico 82.5kg class

MEN TEENAGE CLASS
Kaspar 100kg class
Nathan 100kg class
Max 75kg class
Daryl 67.5kg class

MEN MASTERS
James 110kg class

LADIES OPEN CLASS
Annie 75kg class
Vicki 60kg class

LADIES JUNIOR CLASS

Dimi 82.5kg class

LADIES MASTERS
Nina 60kg class

STRONG IS STRONG

Thank you very much M.

I hit the sauna yesterday, and then showered, DOH! I'll hit it again today for 3 hours and drive straight to the weigh in.
I feel weak, very weak.
As soon as I get my fluids up again and have a few meals I hope I'll feel better.
As for how much to eat and drink.... I planned on drinking water to the amount of KGs that I lost, between weigh in and comp. Then eating every 2 hours and a 10 hour sleep. I should feel awesome after that!

And M, with out that chat and the newsletters I wouldn't be entering at all. You definatly gave me the confidence I needed to get out there........ I'd say your slightly MORE than partly responsible :p, cheers!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dont start using the sauna till AFTER your last meal before weigh in, and drink no fluids till weighing after your last meal

Ok, start weight, on my scales was 84. Got down to 77.

Gym scales said 79.7.

Weigh in scales said 80.6.

Lucky I didn't trust my scales at "80"
Posted via Mobile Device

Cheers M,
Out of interest, how long has Nick been training with you?
I've been training at home for less than 12 months.

Also,
with the PPP work just as well with pause bench?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sticky I can answer the second question. What the boys do is pause the first rep then smash out the others touch and go. Except for Max who prefers to pause every rep.

Nicks been with me since March 2008, I opened in Jan 2008, I dont know why he waited so long lol.

He was soooooooooooooooooo weak when he started lol....mucho strongo now though

Here is what we've been doing in lead up to the comp.

Tonight was our last heavy deadlift session. The boys hit openers.

Dim pulled 185kg easily (185kg PB)
James pulled 185kg easier (192.5kg PB)
Max did 200kg (212.5kg PB)
Dave did 210kg ( 215kg PB)
Alen did 210kg (220kg PB)

There is a good chance all 5 will pull 200kg. That will leave only Daryl without a 200kg deadlift.........he is 17 and 67.5kg though. He feels he's a chance of getting close to 190kg.

Daryl paused 100kg for a triple on the bench, he may get 110kg.

Nina squatted 87.5kg and Annie squatted 85kg.

On Monday they will hit their squat openers, on Wednesday their bench openers, then a general full body real light session on Friday, then sauna, more sauna and sleep.

Wow!
From 77 to 84 before bed. That's NUTS. I had no idea that I could remove that much water and still be alive :p. I should see 85-86 by start time. I appreciate everybodys help in the last few days.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi guys.
For anybody that's interested, I competed today.
I squated 145kg - + 2.5 from pb
I benched 102.5kg - + 5 from pb
I deadlifted 195kg - -10 from pb

that's all 3 national records :p

comments.
Everybody was BLOWN away with how low I was getting in my squats. I was squatting ATG where most of the other lifters got a "miss" for not even breaking paralell. The 145 was EASY. I wish I had of tried 147.5 now :(

I'm very dissapointed with my deadlift. Don't know what happened. I got 205kg a few inches up and then nothing. My shoes maybe? First time I've DL heavy in my Do-wins.

My 95 bench flew up, so I thought rather than going 97.5 like I was going to, I'd go for the record, and lifted it :)

There were alot of strong guys there. I was VERY impressed. The highlight for me though was a 78yo man, who hadn't lifted in 3 years, squatting around 150 raw. Was AWESOME. I'm not sure if he got deep enough for a pass, but even getting under the bar was insperational to me. TOP work mate!

A big thanks to Mason, Dom and the massive unit spotters for an awesome day of raw lifting.

An even bigger thanks to PTC for his advice and confidence in me to allow me to grow the balls to give it a shot!!!!

Extatic!
Posted via Mobile Device

Nice work man, maybe next time try not going so low and add on some weight could have pulled out an even bigger record :eek:.

Sticky Congratz on the lifts. Some tips. With deadlifting in shoes use the flattest soled shoe you have. Do wins will raise your feet away from the bar. Also its great that you squat ATG. Most of the guys at PTC squat very low and it looks so much better to have an ATG squat than most of the guys who squat at the comps. Max had to tell the spotted that he was going to come down fast. Also if you had made the 145kg squat in your 3rd attempt you are allowed to have a fourth if it is a national record. And because there are none you should have had another attempt. You going to come down to nationals?

Well done, Sticky! The confidence you get from this competition will serve you very well.

DLing in the weightlifting shoes isn't ideal. I switched back to my flat-soled old Chucks today and lifted 10kg more than I did last week with my Risto WL shoes.

Thanks guys!
I had no choice but to use the shoes. I rode my bike out and had ZERO room in my back pack for an extra set if shoes.

If I get invited to nationals, I'll be coming down for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device