• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

About becoming a personal trainer

Thankyou. First I will try the challenge of getting them together in one spot they usually go to anyway, after that I'll try getting them to go on a field trip.

As for sexual favours, try one of my co-trainers Jack, he is much younger and better-looking than me.

Last edited:
"Kyle, my back hurts and is stiff, I'm worried we're going too fast with increasing the weights."
"Didn't your back hurt before you started training?"
"Yes."
"Does it hurt more or less now?"
"Less."
"..."
"Oh okay, cool."

Hahahahahahahaha

Female?
They're a strange bunch. Have a client that refuses to touch a 40kg barbell for deadlifts yet has done 10+ cannonballs with a 40kg KB several times when I've thrown it in a circuit

It's less than ideal when some osteopath or chiro or naturopath or TCM person offers their opinion on someone's training. I respect the advice of all medical professionals. Craniosacral osteopathy? Sensing the flow of the brain fluids by feeling the person's skull? No.

Fucking quacks. I don't tell you how to read people's Tarot cards, don't tell me how to train someone to get strong.

It's less than ideal when some osteopath or chiro or naturopath or TCM person offers their opinion on someone's training. I respect the advice of all medical professionals. Craniosacral osteopathy? Sensing the flow of the brain fluids by feeling the person's skull? No.

Fucking quacks. I don't tell you how to read people's Tarot cards, don't tell me how to train someone to get strong.

The masses flock'th to the sparkly gimmicks and fade away. The greatest merely advance.

It irritates me how people buy this bullshit pseudoscience up instead of sticking and learning the basics which will work time and time again. The whole reason why they don't get the results they want is due to 3 things...

a) their expectations are out of whack.
b) the methods/effort they're utilizing aren't working for them.
c) the garbage they put in, is garbage being put out.

What ever happened to good reliable elbow grease and adapation?

I know I'm not Kyle but.....

I was told I can make "suggestions" like don't eat ice cream, try not to drink soda.
I was told I couldn't write a diet, or suggest macro ratios.

Technically, yes. Just as anyone can call themselves a "personal trainer" or "coach" and start selling their services, so too can anyone call themselves a "nutritionist" and give as detailed advice as they like.

In practice, if you wish to avoid legal liability, it's best to stick to what you're qualified by courses or experience to do. So for a PT, the diet advice can be general only, like the sort of stuff you find on government health sites. I stick to what I call "nutritional first aid." Just as the medical first aider doesn't cure the patient, they just provide a viable body for someone more qualified, so too with nutritional first aid.

"Hmmm, I see from your food diary that you live on cigarettes and KFC. Most people find that if they quit smoking and eat some fruit and vegies they feel better." That's fine.

Or, "if you find it physically difficult to eat enough, many people find it easier to consume more if they just drink milk and eat eggs. So long as you've not some kidney problems or whatever." That's okay, too.

"You should eat 122g protein, 343g carbs and 117g fat tomorrow, then the day after fast and just drink lemon juice in water all day to detox." Not fine, too detailed and specific. Whereas for a qualified registered dietician, they can do that stuff.

The key thing to remember is what the Americans call "scope of practice." That means you only talk about shit you've studied formally or had experience in. For most PTs, that's just exercise.

You can give whatever advice you like about whatever you like, but if someone gets hurt or sick and sues you, well... It's like your house burning down, it probably won't happen but if it does you're fucked. So try to minimise the chances of its happening.

In the end most clients won't need detailed advice anyway. Most people simply need to eat less junk food, drink less booze, and eat more actual food, fresh fruit and vegies, stuff they prepared themselves from raw ingredients at home. Because most people's diets are fairly shit, they live on stuff out of colourful packets. It's like Dan John puts it in Mass Made Simple:-

Before we get too specific: Eat like an adult!
... Honestly, seriously, you don't know what to do about food? Here is an idea: Eat like an adult. Stop eating fast food, stop eating kid's cereal, knock it off with all the sweets and comfort foods whenever your favorite show is not on when you want it on, ease up on the snacking and - don't act like you don't know this - eat vegetables and fruits more. Really, how difficult is this? Stop with the whining. Stop with the excuses. Act like an adult and stop eating like a television commercial. Grow up."​

And we can give that sort of advice without worrying about anyone getting sick or our being sued.

Even if you give detailed dietary advice people won't follow it anyway. Most people don't know how to eat like a grown-up, and become quite stressed at the thought of it. As a professional, for my reputation I'll stick to the stuff I can control: their exercise in the gym. I can't do a thing about the other 165 hours a week if they choose to fuck it all up. All I can do is make sure they do a deep knee-bend, pick something heavy up off the ground and put something heavy overhead, and do more in each session than they did before. Rest is up to them and their common sense.

Last edited:
Technically, yes. Just as anyone can call themselves a "personal trainer" or "coach" and start selling their services, so too can anyone call themselves a "nutritionist" and give as detailed advice as they like.

In practice, if you wish to avoid legal liability, it's best to stick to what you're qualified by courses or experience to do. So for a PT, the diet advice can be general only, like the sort of stuff you find on government health sites. I stick to what I call "nutritional first aid." Just as the medical first aider doesn't cure the patient, they just provide a viable body for someone more qualified, so too with nutritional first aid.

"Hmmm, I see from your food diary that you live on cigarettes and KFC. Most people find that if they quit smoking and eat some fruit and vegies they feel better." That's fine.

Or, "if you find it physically difficult to eat enough, many people find it easier to consume more if they just drink milk and eat eggs. So long as you've not some kidney problems or whatever." That's okay, too.

"You should eat 122g protein, 343g carbs and 117g fat tomorrow, then the day after fast and just drink lemon juice in water all day to detox." Not fine, too detailed and specific. Whereas for a qualified registered dietician, they can do that stuff.

The key thing to remember is what the Americans call "scope of practice." That means you only talk about shit you've studied formally or had experience in. For most PTs, that's just exercise.

You can give whatever advice you like about whatever you like, but if someone gets hurt or sick and sues you, well... It's like your house burning down, it probably won't happen but if it does you're fucked. So try to minimise the chances of its happening.

In the end most clients won't need detailed advice anyway. Most people simply need to eat less junk food, drink less booze, and eat more actual food, fresh fruit and vegies, stuff they prepared themselves from raw ingredients at home. Because most people's diets are fairly shit, they live on stuff out of colourful packets. It's like Dan John puts it in Mass Made Simple:-
Before we get too specific: Eat like an adult!
... Honestly, seriously, you don't know what to do about food? Here is an idea: Eat like an adult. Stop eating fast food, stop eating kid's cereal, knock it off with all the sweets and comfort foods whenever your favorite show is not on when you want it on, ease up on the snacking and - don't act like you don't know this - eat vegetables and fruits more. Really, how difficult is this? Stop with the whining. Stop with the excuses. Act like an adult and stop eating like a television commercial. Grow up."
And we can give that sort of advice without worrying about anyone getting sick or our being sued.

Even if you give detailed dietary advice people won't follow it anyway. Most people don't know how to eat like a grown-up, and become quite stressed at the thought of it. As a professional, for my reputation I'll stick to the stuff I can control: their exercise in the gym. I can't do a thing about the other 165 hours a week if they choose to fuck it all up. All I can do is make sure they do a deep knee-bend, pick something heavy up off the ground and put something heavy overhead, and do more in each session than they did before. Rest is up to them and their common sense.

Bold frustrates the fuck out of me.. It is the one thing people should be doing they are quick to go inject vitamins and look for magic water and special pills and tea from overseas but when you look at their diet diary and they are having pizza for dinner and subway for lunch you want to bang your head on the fucking wall...

It doesn't frustrate me. I just put it back on them. Paraphrase of a real conversation.

"Kyle, I haven't lost any weight since we started."
"It's been three sessions."
"Yeah but we had some sessions last year."
"Do you remember we talked about diet?"
"Yes."
"Have you changed what you eat?"
"No."
"Well there you go. I told you, you will not lose weight in the gym, that happens at the dinner table. You come to me to make you stronger, fitter and more flexible. How big you are is up to you. Now let's start with a squat."

I'm fine with it. I'm there to improve the quality of people's lives. If they're going to be obese or scrawny, they can at least be strong, fit, flexible and obese or scrawny.

Occasionally their dietary or rest choices affect their lifting. That's okay, too. Let's say they fail a lift they could usually make. This is another paraphrased actual conversation.
"What was your sleep like last night?"
"Went to bed at 4am, got up at 10am."
"And what did you eat last night for dinner?"
"Um, pizza."
"And breakfast this morning?"
"I had some cocoa pops."
"Can you guess why you failed the lift and feel so shit today?"
"Yeah."
"Okay, that's enough rest, try again. I have no clients after you, we'll stay here until you get the lift. The bin is over there if you need to chunder."

First session, I lay it all out. "Exercise, nutrition and rest are a tripod, just get one of them right and the thing will still fall over. They don't have to be perfect but they do have to be better than they are now. I can only do so much for you in these sessions, rest is up to you." I tell them, "two hours of workout, 500kcal, one large fries from Macca's - maybe just easier not to eat the fries." I give them all the "strength is built in the gym, size at the dinner table" and all that stuff.

So I give them the info in a blunt way that most won't, then leave it up to them. I support their good choices, don't crap on about their bad choices. It's their life, their choice. Sure it's disappointing, but I'd rather be the disappointed trainer than the disappointing trainee, it's shitter to be them than me.

And these ones usually don't last as clients. They miss sessions more and more often and eventually drift off. That's okay, I did my best. There are enough sensible and dedicated ones to keep me cheerful.

It doesn't frustrate me. I just put it back on them. Paraphrase of a real conversation.

"Kyle, I haven't lost any weight since we started."
"It's been three sessions."
"Yeah but we had some sessions last year."
"Do you remember we talked about diet?"
"Yes."
"Have you changed what you eat?"
"No."
"Well there you go. I told you, you will not lose weight in the gym, that happens at the dinner table. You come to me to make you stronger, fitter and more flexible. How big you are is up to you. Now let's start with a squat."

I'm fine with it. I'm there to improve the quality of people's lives. If they're going to be obese or scrawny, they can at least be strong, fit, flexible and obese or scrawny.

Occasionally their dietary or rest choices affect their lifting. That's okay, too. Let's say they fail a lift they could usually make. This is another paraphrased actual conversation.
"What was your sleep like last night?"
"Went to bed at 4am, got up at 10am."
"And what did you eat last night for dinner?"
"Um, pizza."
"And breakfast this morning?"
"I had some cocoa pops."
"Can you guess why you failed the lift and feel so shit today?"
"Yeah."
"Okay, that's enough rest, try again. I have no clients after you, we'll stay here until you get the lift. The bin is over there if you need to chunder."

First session, I lay it all out. "Exercise, nutrition and rest are a tripod, just get one of them right and the thing will still fall over. They don't have to be perfect but they do have to be better than they are now. I can only do so much for you in these sessions, rest is up to you." I tell them, "two hours of workout, 500kcal, one large fries from Macca's - maybe just easier not to eat the fries." I give them all the "strength is built in the gym, size at the dinner table" and all that stuff.

So I give them the info in a blunt way that most won't, then leave it up to them. I support their good choices, don't crap on about their bad choices. It's their life, their choice. Sure it's disappointing, but I'd rather be the disappointed trainer than the disappointing trainee, it's shitter to be them than me.

And these ones usually don't last as clients. They miss sessions more and more often and eventually drift off. That's okay, I did my best. There are enough sensible and dedicated ones to keep me cheerful.

I know what your saying..

Still bothers me.. Not so much that they dont listen that some people so greatly want help and look everywhere but where they should...
Cant see the forest for the trees...

Well, there are three things here.

First is that the advice you're giving at the moment is free. Who do you give free advice to? The people you care about. When people you care about fuck themselves up it's upsetting. It's different when the people are paying you. Sure you care a bit, but there's that professional barrier, it means there's less drama for you.

Second is that if it broke my heart every time someone ignored my advice I'd have a very short and painful career as a trainer. Because the vast majority of people will ignore my advice - yep, even the exercise advice. "I'll ignore your advice and do my own thing... oh look, I got injured and didn't achieve my goals, all PTs are idiots, man."

Third is if you quote my entire post again, I'll have to put you on ignore. We already read it, we don't need to have the entire thing quoted again, that's tedious. Just quote the bits you're responding to.

I always tell them that I'm here to improve their quality of living by making day to day activities easier like carrying the shopping or picking up the kids (no male clients as yet lol). If their goal is to lose weight then it's up to them and what they do outside of the session

My friend wants to lose weight so I told her to start keeping a food diary. Don't think she has yet. Her friend says it's cos she's afraid I'll yell at her :p

Woman came in recently wanting a new and shortened routine. Her old programme had pushups with one hand on the bosu ball. I had her demonstrate ordinary pushups - she couldn't do even one to depth. So I had her do knee pushups, instead.

She also had "walking lunge with medicine ball twist." She'd never before done a full bodyweight squat, I put those in there, too.

The idea of "basics first" seems to be a radical one. If you are a healthy bodyweight, then do a bodyweight squat, do a pushup, do an inverted row. At least say 10 of each in a row. Then we'll see about adding weight or twists or walking or yodelling or whatever.

Woman came in recently wanting a new and shortened routine. Her old programme had pushups with one hand on the bosu ball. I had her demonstrate ordinary pushups - she couldn't do even one to depth. So I had her do knee pushups, instead.

She also had "walking lunge with medicine ball twist." She'd never before done a full bodyweight squat, I put those in there, too.

The idea of "basics first" seems to be a radical one. If you are a healthy bodyweight, then do a bodyweight squat, do a pushup, do an inverted row. At least say 10 of each in a row. Then we'll see about adding weight or twists or walking or yodelling or whatever.

Do you know how hard that would be on an ifail...

I have to ask - does anyone else find inverted rows difficult? I can barely do 1 if my legs are fully extended and I'm starting with my back brushing the ground

Yes, inverted rows are hard. But so is trap bar deadlifting 170kg and powercleaning 72.5kg and you did those things. You get what you train for. You don't get what you don't train for.

If you can't do inverted rows, you won't be able to do a chinup. I would say that if you can pull more than twice your bodyweight off the ground or bring your bodyweight off the ground and to your shoulders but can't do a single chinup then you know what you need to work on.

But it's up to you. All about what you want to achieve, not me or anyone else. I just say, basics first. First a pushup, maybe later a pushup on a bosu ball. First a squat, maybe later a walking lunge with medicine ball twist. More likely later will be something a lot more useful than that stuff - but in any case, basics first.

I have to do basics first because most of the people who come to me begin as quite weak and deconditioned. I don't have people walk in and squat 80kg deep straight off the bat.

I can do 15 chins in a set. For some reason just find inverted rows difficult, particularly if I take a wider grip (pronated on bar, wrists kinda twist if I use TRX or gym rings)
Must have weak rear delts and traps I guess!

I've had 2 people manage full BB squats so far - my mum and my uncle (both pretty much hit their ass on the ground too)
Rest having been doing bench squats for starters, now progressing onto box squats since I got my box
As theyre not achieving full flexion of the knee with the bench squats, I have often have them do lunges or Bulgarian split squats as well (if they're capable) to make sure theyre working those muscles through full ROM

They'll get there, they always do in the end if they stick with it.

Today Monica pulled 60kg from the floor for the first time. Recall that my gym doesn't have bumper plates, so if you can't pull 60kg from the floor you need to do rack pulls. My guideline was that if they can do 70-75kg for something like 3x5 from the rack, they'll be able to pull 60kg from the ground.

At 50kg, 60kg and now 70kg, Monica faced a mental block. She'd say to herself, "this is heavy, must slam it up!" and of course that doesn't work with deadlifts and rack pulls, you have to have a steady determined pull. She'd previously pulled 65kg 3x5 from the rack, so it was time to try for 70kg. We went through 40kg, 50kg, 60kg, and then 65kg x2, then up to 70kg. Clunk, didn't move.

Second and third attempts also failed. I told her if she didn't make the lift we'd have to do Tabata. She laughed it off, then she focused, did a steady pull, and up it came. She walked away happy. "Okay, another 4 reps."

2 came with ease, the other 2 had to be done as singles. But there were no more stalls.

"So how much do I have to lift before I can lift from the floor?"
"You could physically pull 60kg from the floor now, it might be rough though. But I'd be more comfortable if you could do 5 reps in a row of 70-75kg from the rack, then I'd be sure that you could do multiple reps with the 60kg with ease."
"I want to try." I was dreading it a bit, all the failed attempts on the rack pulls had taken ages, I didn't want to go through that again, and I didn't want her to walk away having failed a lift. But it's up to the person what they want to try, so long as they won't get injured by it.

Deadlift 60kg, 1x5. Went up and down easy.

"It's easier from the floor."
"I guess we'll just do that from now on."
"Cool."

First women's team day on Sunday, I invited 5, looks like we'll get 2-3, which is what I expected.

Last edited: