• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Your opinions : best value protein

T

tomecho2

Hey guys - first timer here.

I've always purchased WPI protein and never really bothered about sticking with brands ... I just get whatever is the cheapest at the time!

I used to buy RedBak WPI when they were cheap ... I've used Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard a couple times and currently on Vital Strength Hydroxy Ripped.

I'm coming up to another restock and just wondering how you guys would rank the following in terms of value. All are around 80% protein content.

1.) Vital Strength Hydroxy Ripped (5KG) @ $150 = $30 /KG
2.) Max's Super Whey (4KG) @ $109 = $27 /KG
3.) Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard (4.5KG) @ $150 = $33 /KG
4.) Other??

I do know the Max's Super Whey and Hydroxy Ripped contains some WPC, but not a big %.

Some sponsers here sell pure wpc buying in bulk you can get as cheap as 19$ kg i have seen...

Have a look.

Thanks noobs - looking at the WPI for $29 a KG isn't bad, but is flavourless...

Thanks noobs - looking at the WPI for $29 a KG isn't bad, but is flavourless...

Exactly what you want..

You dont want to be ingesting chemicals..

Buy some stevia extract and a glass dropper bottle.. Fill half with stevia and rest with water then add 1 drop to shake.

Add raw cinnamin/maca powder and cacoa powder or unprocessed vanilla. For taste.

Bam healthy and nutritious.

Hmm, never thought of stevia ... good call on that one. Thanks for the tip!

I have never been able to stomach WPC on its own - I must be a big pussy coz whenever I have it stomach cramps and bloat is crazzzzy.

With a blend of wpc/wpi iam fine!

Any of you guys notice the difference between WPC and WPI?

I've stuck with WPI because it's supposed to be absorbed/digested by your body better so I've never actually tried pure WPC - interested to know the diff in real life.

I have never noticed a diff in recovery with any protein I use from WPI to Casein - I suppose if you want to be sure then get a WPI - all I use now though is Muscle Milk which is pretty much a blend of all.

Mate, I use the pure WPC with no flavour added and find it works great. The only real difference is the protein percent per serve with WPI at around 36 grams per 40 gram serve and WPI around 32 grams per 40 gram serve. So, if you're really hung up on that then WPI might be better. I worked up a spreadsheet and calculated the lowest cost per gram of protein and unsurprisingly it came out that WPC Natural is the cheapest option. Worked out at 2.6c per protein gram when buying in 5kg bags. Would have been cheaper if I was buying 20kg bulk bags. Brand name proteins were as high as 6.5c per gram and WPI was 3.2-3.6c per gram.

Being a tight wad, I went the WPC natural. ;) Works out about a buck a serve.

That Excel spreadsheet of mine with the suppliers and cost comparison is in the attached ZIP if you're interested. This is by no means all suppliers or options, just a subset I looked at and prices at a point in time. But the spreadsheet might be useful nonetheless.

Cheers,
Michael

Attachments

• Protein Supplements.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Thanks for that Michael - can't believe it's $52 more expensive to buy the flavoured option!

I just bought Creatine Mono and Glutamine off eBay from a certain seller, and just found they sell WPC and WPI for even less than BulkPowders. Manufactured by Fonterra in NZ too, so should be high quality. Plus they combine shipping!

I found fitness central WPC a great option and really cheap. The only thing I'd suggest is get a flavour other than vanilla (if you do go flavoured). It's not the nicest vanilla I've ever had. The other flavours are pretty good though.

Gareer.

I'm leaning towards getting plain WPI and then buying 500g cocoa powder and stevia (dunno how much I need ....)

noobs whats your measurments for the steiva and cocoa powder? e.b 250ml water, 1 scoop protein, 1 teaspoon cocoa powder, 5ml steiva..

too much dickin around for me...myofusion in banana perfection or choc mint is nice!

I have never been able to stomach WPC on its own - I must be a big pussy coz whenever I have it stomach cramps and bloat is crazzzzy.

With a blend of wpc/wpi iam fine!

Im the same, even the blends make me queezy (far less than pure WPC though).

Gonna try casein and WPI and see which goes down better.

too much dickin around for me...myofusion in banana perfection or choc mint is nice!

Less healthier, lower quality option for more $$$? your money i guess...

Hey guys - first timer here.

I've always purchased WPI protein and never really bothered about sticking with brands ... I just get whatever is the cheapest at the time!

I used to buy RedBak WPI when they were cheap ... I've used Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard a couple times and currently on Vital Strength Hydroxy Ripped.

I'm coming up to another restock and just wondering how you guys would rank the following in terms of value. All are around 80% protein content.

1.) Vital Strength Hydroxy Ripped (5KG) @ $150 = $30 /KG
2.) Max's Super Whey (4KG) @ $109 = $27 /KG
3.) Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard (4.5KG) @ $150 = $33 /KG
4.) Other??

I do know the Max's Super Whey and Hydroxy Ripped contains some WPC, but not a big %.
Other FTW :)

Haha Shrek, straight to the point ... I've always bought brand-name flavoured stuff for the same reason that Timmy says ... too much f'ing around.

My plan is to get :

5KG plain protein powder
500g cocoa powder
30-40-50g stevia powder

and mix it up in one of my empty protein buckets.

I reckon it will cost about $150 all up but I end up with a totally natural 90% WPI drink ;-)

You better make sure you mix that mofo well because you may get 10g coco, 20g protein, 5g stevia in one serve and then 2g coco, 40g protein 10g stevia in another serve etc etc

Im the same, even the blends make me queezy (far less than pure WPC though).

Gonna try casein and WPI and see which goes down better.

Less healthier, lower quality option for more $$$? your money i guess...

explain how?