• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Young Athlete Deaths

Not really, the discussion got stupid.

But here are some actual facts and figures about athlete deaths, rather than just "STEROIDZZZZ!!!!!".

Sudden death (athletes) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

El Freako you have it wrong - Athlete + lifting weights + Dieing young = because of steroids.

No1 dies young mate that would just be silly.

On a serious note though I like how most of the guys that kick "bros" about "bro science" turn to rooooids when they hear about an athletes death - you do know you just committed your own "bro science"

Key word here....abusing...

Runnning one off 12 week cycle might have little to no negative effects...

Doing contest prep cut and being a pin cushion with a cocktail of drugs ... And then doing it over a number of years.. not good...

Key point.

yes, substantiated facts are important, but where are the studies comparing PED abuse with PED moderation? Me think they are yet to be written, although there are a few useful studies that demonstrate side effects I accordance to dose.

Of the few bbs I knew, and they were national standard (Aust champions), enough of them reported side effect for me to know that large doses are potentially dangerous,.

Last edited:
Not every sport's drug of choice is anabolic steroids. When it comes to fighting, speed is paramount, especially when you need to maintain a certain bodyweight within a particular class.

I would say the drug of choice for a MMA fighter or a martial artist in a contest would need to posses two elements, namely speed and pain masking. A caffeine tablet has the potential to serve both purposes here.

The only drug I can think of from the anabolic steroid family (and yes we're talking old school now) is the very well known drug called Oxandrolone, better known as Anavar / Lonavar. It works its wonders at the cellular level by increasing the rate/storage and replenishment of creatine phosphate/CP. All done without the addition of bloat one gets from androgen based steroids like testosterone. Only one major problem here though, ...hardening of the arteries which could lead to a heart attack if abused.

Fadi.

Not sure where your getting this from? Is it something you just deduced yourself.

El Freako you have it wrong - Athlete + lifting weights + Dieing young = because of steroids.

No1 dies young mate that would just be silly.

On a serious note though I like how most of the guys that kick "bros" about "bro science" turn to rooooids when they hear about an athletes death - you do know you just committed your own "bro science"

Did you even read the link?

It doesn't really show anything either way.

That's a pretty annoying comparison, comparing something which may be harmful with something that is harmful, so as to say 'look at least its not as bad as this'.

Funnily enough its the same argument that got marijuana legalised in a canadian province recently (comparing it with alcohol).

The question is not whether it's more healthy than smoking and drinking daily.

Either way, Im a little nervous about my ticker these days.
Starting at around 70kg, got to 110kg, that is 40 extra kgs.
At present I'm at 106kg @ 5'11", certainly not fat, but not in single digits BF either, on the the outside you could say look healthy / in good shape.
My concern is that these extra 36kgs I'm carting around equals an enormous extra distance of vessels, capillaries that carry blood.
I can't remember that exact extra distance but the Heart has to pump it around.
We all know the shorter the distance the better circulation, the longer the more strain on the heart.
Then I think about the large amounts of food I consume and the extra work my organs have to do to process this volume, I keep thinking that au much as I love being big, being big is not exactly the key to a long life, gear or no gear.
Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

Either way, Im a little nervous about my ticker these days.
Starting at around 70kg, got to 110kg, that is 40 extra kgs.
At present I'm at 106kg @ 5'11", certainly not fat, but not in single digits BF either, on the the outside you could say look healthy / in good shape.
My concern is that these extra 36kgs I'm carting around equals an enormous extra distance of vessels, capillaries that carry blood.
I can't remember that exact extra distance but the Heart has to pump it around.
We all know the shorter the distance the better circulation, the longer the more strain on the heart.
Then I think about the large amounts of food I consume and the extra work my organs have to do to process this volume, I keep thinking that au much as I love being big, being big is not exactly the key to a long life, gear or no gear.
Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

You are wrong!

Healthy weight (muscle and lean body tissue) does no harm to your body or organs, quite the opposite actually, but if you carry around an extra 30kg of ballast (fat) then it's a different story.

Your heart is also a muscle and it's not the fact that it's working that will make it die, it's all the other stuff, like hardened arteries restricted/clogged blood vessels that cause it problems.

My mother had a heart attack at 57, had a triple bypass and is now 77 and going strong, so it's the blockages/arteries that cause the problems not the heart itself. THis is a very simplistic way of explaining it of course and there are a million factors that will eventually add up to kill you, we can't live for ever unfortunately.

Steroids have a great affect on the arteries and cholesterol level, as such often causing premature heart failure among the millions of other issues they cause all of which are well documented.

Pheeewf......glad to hear that.
Think my wife has been repeating so myths to me to get me to shrink.
Not hanging up the barbell just yet.
But am pretty sure small people will outlive big people, look at dogs, the little tapper go to 20, big dogs only get to 10.
And when you see record of oldest people on news it's always a scrawny lady, never a big bloke.

I think this thread got away from the original point a bit. normal aas use done sensibly probably isn't that bad for your health. But abuse on a pro level (7gs a week and shit) IS going to be very bad for your health and I think this is shown in the number of pro deaths.

The funny part is everyone is lying about there dosages. Even on the forum we've had peeps claiming trt only doses.

About the only gun non ipf lifter that didn't bullshit about his cycles was fuzzy, that dude was straight up. The other pl guy from qld who deadlifts close to 300 can't remember his forum name he was pretty honest to. Most just lie or avoid the issue completely, which is fine but those involved in the sport should have their eyes wide enough open to realise what goes on behind the scenes.

What makes me sad is young guys fucking their fertility completely blast cruising before having kids or putting swimmers on ice. Fuck me you may not want kids now but you will one day.

In b4 someone mentions Ronnie Coleman fathering a child, we'll guess what dick heads you can't afford Rons fertility des and medical support and chances are you never will

if this thread is about UFC fighter Shane Del Rosario, he has not died yet, app off life support

The funny part is everyone is lying about there dosages. Even on the forum we've had peeps claiming trt only doses.

About the only gun non ipf lifter that didn't bullshit about his cycles was fuzzy, that dude was straight up. The other pl guy from qld who deadlifts close to 300 can't remember his forum name he was pretty honest to. Most just lie or avoid the issue completely, which is fine but those involved in the sport should have their eyes wide enough open to realise what goes on behind the scenes.

What makes me sad is young guys fucking their fertility completely blast cruising before having kids or putting swimmers on ice. Fuck me you may not want kids now but you will one day.

In b4 someone mentions Ronnie Coleman fathering a child, we'll guess what dick heads you can't afford Rons fertility des and medical support and chances are you never will

Agree with all of this, especially the fertility thing, my brother went through it (not a steroid user, does not even lift), and it cost him close to 50K to 'make a baby', with his missus, not 100% sure what was involved though.

Roids are pointless IMO for vanity and sporting sake, goes against everything why most people start sport in the first place IMO.

I'm not against steroids @bigmick; I'm just against dickheads who listen to some of the shit that gets spouted on forums and the web generally.

Fucking idiots doing dnp,never coming off t, doing gram a week cycles.

Moron actions get moron results. Plus it ruins it for everyone else.