• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Young Athlete Deaths

ok, there is approx 140 bodybuilders on this list that have heald pro cards (im sure there is more, so lets say its 300!) 12 have died this year.

so thats 12/300(guess)

which = 4,000 per 100,000 as a demographic dieing prematurely. compared to the earlier statistic of 4 per 100,000 of ages 25-45 dieing of heart attack in australia per year.

obviously those stats arnt an exact science but it should give an idea. wake up mate!

Do I have exact figures. No. Do you have the exact figures to say its not an issue?

Personally couldn't even tell you someone I know or who I have heard of that has died at 30-40 for no real reason. Its not like its common.

Then you have well known strength athletes, bodybuilders, wwe guys who there are not that many of dropping dead all the time.

Like I said all along it seems as if it is much higher death rate. I don't know the figures, I am sure some are out there somewhere. Anecdotally it seems very high.

Personally if I had been on the roids I would be a little worried.

All the time? I can think of maybe a handfull over the last 10 years - compare that to maybe the 28,000 + people under the age of 45 dieing each year from Heart attack?

This convo is getting bigger than bella and even bigger than oni's chicken wing collection - lets all just agree to disagree

One thing is certain, those who are pro steroids and/or use them will greatly downplay the risks and affects involved.
While those who are against the use of steroids will exaggerate the risks involved

and mate its not like im on some anti-gear crusade, ive been using aas on and off for 10 years and about to get back on it. Im just choosing not to be naive about it all. No one wants to accept what they do might be bad, its the same argument you would hear if you told someone to stop smoking, or they drink to much, or eating them selves to death.. "nah mate its fine"

yzydaha9.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

and mate its not like im on some anti-gear crusade, ive been using aas on and off for 10 years and about to get back on it. Im just choosing not to be naive about it all. No one wants to accept what they do might be bad, its the same argument you would hear if you told someone to stop smoking, or they drink to much, or eating them selves to death.. "nah mate its fine"

....I do like Ice-cream....

One thing is certain, those who are pro steroids and/or use them will greatly downplay the risks and affects involved.
While those who are against the use of steroids will exaggerate the risks involved

This is the main point I think, but then again I am not pro or against steroids, personally for me I would never use them, but don't really care if anyone else does, no skin off my nose.

Simple question - who is healthier -

A. 39 yr old who has never done any consistent exercise, eats takeaway at least 6-7 times a week, smokes a pack a day and will have 6-7 beers everyday every 2nd day + spirits on weekends when he goes down the shed with the boys

B. 39 year old - Does not drink, does not smoke, does not go out on the weekends - Trains 5-6 days a week, weight training + cardio, eats a very healthy diet and may have a cheat meal on the weekends - but uses Test-E on a regular basis and has done so for many years.

Would be a hard call and definitely not a simple question, if person 'B's' heart is about to explode I would say person 'A'. Many people have no issues dealing with cigarettes and alcohol especially at 39.

Mate I like you and I like the shit you post but I have to totally disagree with you on this matter - I am talking about the general population - not just the Australian bodybuilding community and if thats the case there really hasnt been that many deaths - no more than you would see in the general population of the world out of 30-40 yr olds.

Between 4-10% of heart attacks in America are from men under the age of 45 - every year in America there are around 715,000 heart attacks - just 4% of that is potentially 28,600 people below 45 (just in America may I add) that could die "randomly" - just drop dead....

Not sure where you got these figures from, but seriously it's very un usual for someone under 40 to just drop dead. It is so un unusual that each matter becomes a coroners investigation as a matter of course as no one under 40 should realistically die.

You can look at it any way you like, but the facts remain. Personally I am 45 and have never seen or heard of anyone dying for no reason at a young age.

What's the chance of a person who's very fit and healthy having a heart attack? Ignoring the 'general population' (a large percentage of whom are high risk by virtue of BMI).

The strange thing is these people are all very strong and probably have decent aerobic endurance. They should be healthy and have a miniscule chance of dying by age 35 of heart disease .... but that doesnt seem to be the case.

yes, endurance athletes do, but maybe drug abuse can also be a factor for endurance athletes. you would be amazed at some of the stick builds of long distance runners caught on steroids.

I think rugby has a point, the low or moderate use of steroids may not be as dangerous as the poor diets and alcoholism of many ordinary people.

But, in my opinion, that is not really the issue here. We are talking about young athletes here, not ordinary people with little regard for health through smoking or drinking, so issue is the effects of PED abuse.

Last edited:
Not every sport's drug of choice is anabolic steroids. When it comes to fighting, speed is paramount, especially when you need to maintain a certain bodyweight within a particular class.

I would say the drug of choice for a MMA fighter or a martial artist in a contest would need to posses two elements, namely speed and pain masking. A caffeine tablet has the potential to serve both purposes here.

The only drug I can think of from the anabolic steroid family (and yes we're talking old school now) is the very well known drug called Oxandrolone, better known as Anavar / Lonavar. It works its wonders at the cellular level by increasing the rate/storage and replenishment of creatine phosphate/CP. All done without the addition of bloat one gets from androgen based steroids like testosterone. Only one major problem here though, ...hardening of the arteries which could lead to a heart attack if abused.

Fadi.

There are loads of steroids that benefit fighters. Halotestin probably the main one

Not every sport's drug of choice is anabolic steroids. When it comes to fighting, speed is paramount, especially when you need to maintain a certain bodyweight within a particular class.

I would say the drug of choice for a MMA fighter or a martial artist in a contest would need to posses two elements, namely speed and pain masking. A caffeine tablet has the potential to serve both purposes here.

The only drug I can think of from the anabolic steroid family (and yes we're talking old school now) is the very well known drug called Oxandrolone, better known as Anavar / Lonavar. It works its wonders at the cellular level by increasing the rate/storage and replenishment of creatine phosphate/CP. All done without the addition of bloat one gets from androgen based steroids like testosterone. Only one major problem here though, ...hardening of the arteries which could lead to a heart attack if abused.

Fadi.