• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Yet another squatting thread

Z

Zarkov

Got sick of my own excuses so started squatting again.In fact my knee has been good lately but it is always going to be less than perfect so if it is going to give me trouble anyway I amy as well be squatting.I know now the back was just an excuse full stop after reading Markos` post about the 60 y.o. dude.

Don`t laugh at my shameful stats.I started off 2 weeks ago with just the bar (only 15 kg) and did a set of 8 and concentrated on form only.I then went to 45 kg and did 2 more sets and left it at that for the day.The next day I had that nice burning feeling in my legs.
The next week I went straight to 55kg and did 2 sets of 8 before my time ran out (public gym,1 benh press,1 ancient squat rack and ONE bar!).
Yesterday I was telling my ex rugby playing bodybuilding sports scientist mate and he helped me out.I did 3 sets of 8 at 70kg and have only a bit of burning today.He watched my form and talked me through it all.I only bump into him sometimes on Saturdays so I will be on my own mostly.
Is anyone else in the same boat just starting out or just starting again?

If anyone else wants to chip in with advice it will be much appreciated.I basically want to know, given my recent history (or lack of) in squats how should I attack this?I am hoping to hit 100kg before the end of the year.Is this a reasonable target or is it aiming too low?

My legs are basically strong but lack that explosive power but my core,while not bad, is relatively weak in this respect.

I am making slow but steady gains everywhere else and want to catch up ASAP.
Thanks.

Of course a few stats.I don`t keep track of many.
Currently sitting at 86-87kg around 20% BF.174 cms.
Yesterday hit 100 kg on the bench 5 x 5.1RM I don`t know at the mo
but one year ago it was 104.5kg.
I want to start deadlifting too.

Yes, I am in the same boat as you, only started squatting several weeks ago. So I don't know much about technique beyond the basics, but with your mate checking your form you already know that stuff.

Never be ashamed of the weight you lift. It doesn't matter what you lift today, only that you lift more or lift it more times than you did yesterday. What's important is not where you are but that you're going forward. That's progressive resistance training ;)

I can't say if 100kg is a reasonable end-year goal for you personally, but it seems that most people can squat 1.5x bodyweight in their first year of squatting, so it doesn't seem crazily difficult or unambitious.

Just lift and add weight when you can, add reps when you can't add weight, and see what happens.

And try not to puke on anybody, that's really embarrassing when that happens.

Oh, and get going with a training journal, helps keep you accountable. I mean, do you think I want to go lift today? But People Would Notice if I didn't :p

if your doing 3x8 of 70kg your probably not far off a 100kg squat now, best way to get good at them is to just do them and do them often.

Time spent under the bar will be invaluable. The more time you spend squatting, the stronger you'll become.

You will find your weights will increase rapidly, especially if you squat on a regular basis.

well done on taking the plunge.

Time spent under the bar will be invaluable. The more time you spend squatting, the stronger you'll become.

You will find your weights will increase rapidly, especially if you squat on a regular basis.

well done on taking the plunge.

Thanks Markos.What`s you opinion about frequency?I have read once a week is recommended but what do the experts generally think?

i squat at least 3 times a week sometimes 4, i dont think i'd progress all that well if i only did it once a week

ive been doing squats using a standing calves machine you can't go all the way down and you cant go all the way up it kills

Zarkov I squat heavy 3-4 times a week. Eat plenty of food and you will recover.

Oh and Gavin get off the calf machine and go find a squat rack.

My stronger clients squat 3-4 times a week. Normally different rep ranges.

Sometimes singles, other times 20 reppers.

Doing 5 x 5 or 3 x 8 every session is not the best way in my opinion. If your going to squat frequently, vary the reps and sets.

Thanks again everybody,will take it all on board.
I usually vary the reps and sets Markos but varying the weights would be
plain pointless would`t it?A lot of guys do that and I always wondered about it.

Well, when Max does singles, he uses 150kg +

With 5 reps, he uses around 135kg

For 10 reps, he trains with 115kg

When doing 20 rep squats, he is up to 105kg.

So depending on the rep/set scheme, he varies the weight to suit. Regardless of the weight or reps, the effort stays the same this way.

Aaron i was doing free weights then i got shown a different way to do squats which is much harder then free weights, because you can't take a rest. you should try it has to be a calve machine that you put free weights on

Last edited:
Gavin you're kidding yourself. A calf machine is for calves, a squat rack is for squats. The name gives a hint to the use on both occasions.

Aaron i was doing free weights then i got showed a different way to squats which is much harder then free weights because you cant have a rest you should try it i would not nock it before you try it it has to be a calve machine that you put the free weights on

squats harder on a calf machine than regular barbell squats? i dont think your doing it right....

Well, when Max does singles, he uses 150kg +

With 5 reps, he uses around 135kg

For 10 reps, he trains with 115kg

When doing 20 rep squats, he is up to 105kg.

So depending on the rep/set scheme, he varies the weight to suit. Regardless of the weight or reps, the effort stays the same this way.

Thanks a ton Markos.;)
And everyone else.I`m getting a lot of inspiration just reading all this.

Zarkov I squat heavy 3-4 times a week. Eat plenty of food and you will recover.

I can only get to a squat rack twice a week but I`ll do my best.Going to check out a new gym that opened up on one of my regular routes sometime this week so here`s hoping it`s a decent one.
Eat!Damn I am eating these days!I feel because of this I need to ramp up my training to another level.I`ve put on 3-4kgs in the last couple of weeks but a bit of that is fat.Those extra calories will go into my legs!

A b it of an update on my squats (haven`t gotten round to starting a journal yet).
I really decided to start squatting and deadlifting after reading about James at PTC and his back condition.I have been going below what I know i can do in order to get my form right and start slowly.I quickly discovered,not that I ever disbelieved Markos,that using the right technique will not hurt your back.

On Saturday i was convinced way beyond any doubt.My back had been pretty painful since Thursday morning.I had a spongy thingy that you put on the bars (what are they?) under the small of my back on the bench and it helped when benching but sitting up and laying down on the bench was very,very, uncomfortable - just to let you know how much pain i was in.

Come the squats and there wasn`t even a twinge on the up or down.I got through 3 sets of 8 at 60kg and went onto dead lifts.I did 3 sets of 12 at only 60kg but I forgot all about the pain.In fact when I finished and took a hot shower the pain was completely gone.

It returned this morning but about 60% better.
Of course I`m not going to tell anyone with a back problem to start squatting and deadlifting but I will tell them to see someone who knows what they are on about and not to write those exercises off just because of a bad back.
I will be moving up next week in both weight and intensity.

Apart from that,after a squat/deadlift session I come home famished and come night i am so sleepy.
Just wanted to share that with ya`ll.