• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

with summer coming up.......

awol

Hey guys,
I need a bit of useful advice.
With summer coming up its most peoples goals to shred away the unwanted bodyfat they would have accumulated from the winter bulk. I'm in a bit of a mild dilemma here, ive been bulking for about 3 months now, making good steady progress but ive been left with a bloated looking gut that i want to rid for summer, but feel im not ready to start a cut. Is there anyway to shed the bodyfat through a cut and still progress in mild muscle gains (through noob gains)??? i dont know if i should bulk through to summer or take my chances on a cut. calorie cycling? etc
any advice would help
cheers guys

Last edited:
What's a small bloated gut in the whole scheme of things. Without seeing a pic or knowing how heavy you are the fact that you said your anewb means you should take advantage of the newbie gains ang bulk, than after bulking, bulk again then repeat.

I mean a gut doesnt seem like much, but this is really a short term goal, i have what 2 months or so till summer (few music festivals and what not) im just looking for a way to look as good as possible. Can muscle gains be made eating at a slight caloric defecit with the time frame i have been lifting? will try to get pics up

height 5'6
weight 69kg

A calorie deficit will result in fat and muscle loss. are you willing to loose muscle?
If yes, just do it.

Just try to avois too many calories from junk and proccessed food. You could possibly add 2-3 sessions on HIIT per week to reduce some fat mass.

yeah. nah my diet now is fine no junk at all havent had a piece of junk food since i started (literally). i eat 500 cals above mainainance, all macros are in order, i was just hoping i could spend two months on a slight deficit, and while taking advantage of noob gains, and in other terms build muscle and lose some fat. but seems it doesnt work that way

i dont see the point of cardio on a bulk other than cardiovascular reasons (keep the heart healthy) because a bulk implies we are putting more calories than burning, so whats the use of too much cardio?

Last edited:
Eat too maintenance and you'll see a slight bodyfat drop. Otherwise I can't offer much advice, I'm just lucky with how my body burns fat. Maybe throw in some more volume to burn a few extra cals.

yeah im going to eat bout 200-300 cals above mainatainance. no junk. at the end of the day your right theres not much advice to be given i realised. i can either be a skinny prick with with a flat stomach or gain as much as i can from a bulk.

Of course you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. For experienced lifters this is a 'body recomp' done over a long time but for novices its very possible to do. Try this:

- Pick a beginners program - I'd go with Markos' because its the most straight forward. DON'T **** WITH IT and make sure you add 2.5kg to each lift after every session.
- The day after your third workout do sprint backs (sprint one way up a soccer field and jog back). Start with 3, try to get to 8-12 and then start cutting back your time.
- Eat clean. Try to get one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight from lean meats, whey or dairy. Don't eat junk more than once a week and dont drink a lot of milk. if you're having difficulty with dieting read Lyle McDonald's 'A Guide to Flexible Dieting'.

Do this to the T and after 6 months you will be 70~ and lean (10-12%). In a year 80~ and lean. Lifting weights doesnt require you to be a 100kg fatass who tells us all his quad measurements but not his waist size.

hey cheers for that. i have a short term goal for summer. just going to bulk through it. i have a high metabolism, so i can avoid excess fat gains. My diet is to a T. all macros and calories in order. i get 1-1.5 gram per pound of bodyweight a day.
do a few stomach vacuums (just because i hear they work cant hurt) everyother day just to tighten up the stomach muscles. and yeah should be fine thanks for the help guys.

I'm currently 5'6 and +90kg but I can remember being 69kgs. I thought I was built, however looking back at photos I find myself a bit scrawny.

I'm 5'8 and look anorexic at 71kg.

But, each to their own :)

Im 5'8 78kg's and have bigger muscle bellies than guys who are 6 foot 100kgs at my gym. Ive seen some stand and stare :)

whats the point here with taller/heavier guys saying shorter guys are midgets? :D:D

Last edited:
When I was 95kg at 6' all the bogans on the train were telling me about how much their brother used to bench (cause we're all in story mode).

90kg, 5'7 and 10-12% would be pretty impressive imo.