• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

winter cardio sugestions

Or I could eat a meal every 5 minutes to boost my metabolism so I can do less cardio. Lol.

Yeah that and do cardio 2 hours every day, you'll lose fat in no time, hell...do 4 hours a day cardio, you'll lose it even quicker, even faster on a rower.

But outside of trying to lose weight you also want to do some cardio to build your cardio vascular system. I think that's where the rower and things like burpees come into their own because your heart has to work that bit harder on the upper and lower bodies. They used to call it a systemic response, like 20 reps Squats work you harder than 20 rep Benches.

But outside of trying to lose weight you also want to do some cardio to build your cardio vascular system. I think that's where the rower and things like burpees come into their own because your heart has to work that bit harder on the upper and lower bodies. They used to call it a systemic response, like 20 reps Squats work you harder than 20 rep Benches.

Strap a heart rate monitor on. Your heart rate can get high on any cardio machine. There is nothing special about the rower.

Strap a heart rate monitor on. Your heart rate can get high on any cardio machine. There is nothing special about the rower.

yep, but I thinks its the "systemic" nature of upper and lower body being worked at the same time which means your heart/lungs etc has to work that bit harder which produces faster results. I saw research figures that 12 minutes on a rower is equal to 15 minutes biking.

yep, but I thinks its the "systemic" nature of upper and lower body being worked at the same time which means your heart/lungs etc has to work that bit harder which produces faster results. I saw research figures that 12 minutes on a rower is equal to 15 minutes biking.

Your heart can't work any harder than its max.

Sure if you compare finger curls to the rower it isn't gonna be great obviously because you could never get to the max of the cardiovascular system.

But bike vs rower is all up to how hard you push either exercise. Both can be done hard enough to push the cardiovascular system to the max. You cant go above max so it is just up to how hard you push on either exercise.

Your heart can't work any harder than its max.

Sure if you compare finger curls to the rower it isn't gonna be great obviously because you could never get to the max of the cardiovascular system.

But bike vs rower is all up to how hard you push either exercise. Both can be done hard enough to push the cardiovascular system to the max. You cant go above max so it is just up to how hard you push on either exercise.

but if you're also doing weights on other days I'd prefer to mildly fatigue my upper and lower body on a rower to get a moderate cardio workout than to moderately fatigue my legs cycling to get a moderate cardio workout. Having to work the muscles harder to make the heart work harder is going to fatigue muscles more, thereby making your recovery in between weights sessions just that bit longer.

Yeah, this is the meat of it Stiffy, put fat loss aside, cardio is not the best means to lose it.

Cardio- for heart, lung and circulatory health i dont think ("cardio") is all that flash either at least not as beneficial as weight work.

Yeah, this is the meat of it Stiffy, put fat loss aside, cardio is not the best means to lose it.

Cardio- for heart, lung and circulatory health i dont think ("cardio") is all that flash either at least not as beneficial as weight work.

you saying weights are better for heart, lung and circulatory health?

but if you're also doing weights on other days I'd prefer to mildly fatigue my upper and lower body on a rower to get a moderate cardio workout than to moderately fatigue my legs cycling to get a moderate cardio workout. Having to work the muscles harder to make the heart work harder is going to fatigue muscles more, thereby making your recovery in between weights sessions just that bit longer.

This is an interesting subject and with cardio i feel that the term "more is better" does not apply, you only do enough to enable you to function day to day, in most cases 3 hard fullbody weight training session is plenty

For the regular gym goer the focus needs to be placed on the largest muscles of the body; legs and buttocks.
it seldom is because it hurts like hell and feels most uncomfortable.

you saying weights are better for heart, lung and circulatory health?

most def, it's muscle that make us move, moves the oxygenated blood through the body, the waste, triggers the endochrine (hormones) the nutrients and such.

Last edited:

Grasping at straws here. Unless its massive amounts of cardio If your cardio is effecting your recovery for weights you have issues.

This is an interesting subject and with cardio i feel that the term "more is better" does not apply, you only do enough to enable you to function day to day, in most cases 3 hard fullbody weight training session is plenty

For the regular gym goer the focus needs to be placed on the largest muscles of the body; legs and buttocks.
it seldom is because it hurts like hell and feels most uncomfortable.

I don't know. I hate cardio and I do weights sessions 5 days a week and without extra cardio my cardio fitness is pretty terrible.

I think if one is doing 3 workouts a week, and can still get puffed out walking a flight of stairs, mowing a lawn or sweeping a path, then I think there could be a problem with the workout.

Again

if someone does real hard labour and struggles - and also goes to gym 5 days a week and jogs and plays a sport what do you think could be the root cause?

not having a go, just a discussion, I'm no expert.

if my week involved those 4 activities I'd give up work, or jogging.
if the sport was causing injury, I'd probably ditch that too.

I assume this is one of the reasons you do a full body routine three times a week [MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION]; The very nature of full body routines gives a better cardio response as well as the "systemic response" I've read about???

I think if one is doing 3 workouts a week, and can still get puffed out walking a flight of stairs, mowing a lawn or sweeping a path, then I think there could be a problem with the workout.

Again

if someone does real hard labour and struggles - and also goes to gym 5 days a week and jogs and plays a sport what do you think could be the root cause?

not having a go, just a discussion, I'm no expert.

if my week involved those 4 activities I'd give up work, or jogging.
if the sport was causing injury, I'd probably ditch that too.

I've never been naturally fit for endurance stuff. Always been good at short burst stuff. I know at footy it's always taken me a lot more work to get fitness levels up compared to most blokes.

Playing footy my definition of fit is probably different to the average gym goer.

It depends on what sort of cardio you actually want to do.

If it is HIIT style, then something like KB complexes and body weight exercises are great.

If it is LISS/MISS, just get whatever you actually will use. For me, that would be a bike or elliptical that I can plonk in front of the tv. (And you can still do HIIT on these too I guess)

Personally when i was doing rowing, weights, spin classes and martial arts, i thought i was fit enough to either run well, row hard, or do some industrial strength landscaping or helping my olds out on the farm.

Since those days though i have done just weight lifting and it really doesn't help with manual labour too much, especially things like changing tyres on a car, moving furniture etc. I always liked the short hard bursts of strength (typical surf boat racing) rather than longer cardio sessions (like marathon rowing)

Just got to do lots of different exercises to expect to perform a lot of different work types i guess?

Last edited: