• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Wingman vs Oni Bench Challenge

Smolov is not advanced programming
All you're doing is giving your body enough volume in 3 weeks and then realising these gains with heavy low reps. You work on "hardware", and then "software".

I honestly do not believe in novice, intermediate or advanced programming. You pick a rep range and RPE that is suitable for the training effect you want, decide on frequency and then do as many sets as you can at those reps and RPE that allows you to recover adequately from session to session and also rack up enough stress over time to build a training effect. It sounds complicated but it's simple. It doesn't matter if you do one set or 50, you just do what you're capable of on that day

5x5 is well known as a beginner program but it's also a shock loading protocol for elite athletes. A novice can stay on Starting Strength and the intermediate can use it as their volume block before doing something more intense. I like using the 5% rule. When I have a 5% drop in strength then I stop training. Depending on the day the volume here can vary massively. If you work up to a heavy triple at a 9RPE then you can either take 5% off and do more triples until you get to a 9/10 again or you can go down to doubles at the same weight and wait until you get to a 9RPE again. Both will result in that 5% dropoff.
When you do 5x5, you will notice that the first set of 5 will be at an 9RPE (1 reps in the tank). The last set will be pretty hard and a 10RPE. That's your 5% dropoff right there! Smolov also gives you that 5% dropoff each session so it works great. A novice and advanced lifter would just change the loading depending on their level. Basically the end 10x3 weight will be your new 5RM. So you will alter the loading depending on what you want that end 5RM weight to be. An advanced lifter will start light and maybe not add much weight. I can add 5kg to the work sets each week because I can take it as a novice lifter

I hope I explained that well it's friday night

Don't read that as you shouldn't train a novice and an advanced lifter differently, that's not what I meant.
Just that one piece of programming isn't necessarily "novice" or "advanced"

EDIT:
Training SYSTEMS and PHILOSOPHIES can be categorized as novice/intermediate/advanced/elite
Starting Strength as a SYSTEM is novice. The programming involved is just a one week block
Texas Method is an intermediate SYSTEM. It's also just a 3-8 week block
Smolov is simply a 3 week block. It's not a system at all. You can place it inside a SYSTEM to get a training effect suitable for any level

Last edited:
Back on topic, ive been prescribed some upper back work to help my deadlift. I think this will carry over to my bench too.

I would post my secret ultra tech for improving bench beyond belief, but it's secret so I won't.

I will however post what I think my weight [still] is: 85kg. Will check ASAP.

Hopefully, I can bench at least 90kg (for 3 reps? :confused:) within the time limit. That would be neat. Doable?

Pendlay Rows
Pullups
Band Pullaparts
Face Pulls
Inverted Rows
DB Rows

Ive prescribed Dave almost exactly this... spot on.

Daves weak area at the moment is his back and really needs to focus on it. The strength will cross over for all the lifts.

You can never do too much back work.

Youre doing well Dave... its like building a house mate, one brick at a time.

Ive prescribed Dave almost exactly this... spot on.

Daves weak area at the moment is his back and really needs to focus on it. The strength will cross over for all the lifts.

You can never do too much back work.

Youre doing well Dave... its like building a house mate, one brick at a time.

The human body is like a Volkswagen

The engines in the back