• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Now you are getting it.

People take this stuff because the glossy label tells them they need it.

Wonder how much creatine, protein powder and other $100 per tub supplements these guys use in the African wilderness, or if they just eat some eggs and meat and train??

FYI Micky, some of these kunce and their mates are competitors. You look at some of their insta pics etc, even with black fella genetics they're pushing the envelope of natty gains. By pushing it I mean well past it...

They're not some native Kalahari bushman Mick, one of these dudes has his own website for lifting gear etc. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that they're no stranger to supplements.

I am guessing it works for those who are short of creatine in their diet, those that consume enough creatine through food would yield no benefits, just like there is no benefit in putting 25 litres of unleaded into a 20 litre jerry can.

Pure pharmaceutical grade creatine sells for $19/kilo retail, if you are paying any more than that you can join the guys who pay $40 for a 2kg tub of sugar with a shiny label containing $2.50 worth of sugar.

- Getting enough creatine in your diet (are you eating 1kg of steak a day?).
- Jerry can analogy again (does the food spill out of your mouth?).
- "Glossy labels".
- Still not understanding sugar.

Sorry, but I've got to call troll.

captain-picard-facepalm.jpg

So I guess that 99.9% of the population is deficient??

Did you just learn a new word, "deficient"?

I don't think you understand the difference between deficiencies and supplementation. Supplementation is optional (not everyone lifts and would benefit for more ATP production). Deficiencies means you have holes in your diet and your body is not running optimally for day to day living.

Please do some research.

Wonder how much creatine, protein powder and other $100 per tub supplements these guys use in the African wilderness, or if they just eat some eggs and meat and train??

Do you know for a fact what they do or don't take? Or just making uncalculated guesses again?

In a country known for drug trafficking, wide spread government corruption and piracy, do you not think it would be hard to get anabolic steroids there?

You can usually get creatine pretty cheap if you look for no-name brands on eBay, it's the same thing. I had decent results mixing creatine and dextrose together and dextrose is cheap and you can get some at your local supermarket. This article explains the theory behind dextrose + creatine: http://www.livestrong.com/article/4...se-do-you-mix-with-creatine-for-bodybuilding/

I must be the odd one out here in comparison with what everyone recommends taking creatine with on the internet. I'm very much aware that one needs to have a high insulin level to help accompany creatine into our muscles. Based on this information alone, I've decided to take a different approach to the way I use creatine, i.e. I do not mix it with a sugar laden product, irrespective of what that product/ingredient is. I'll get back to that point in a sec. However I'm also aware that we need something with a high glycemic index to achieve that desired spike in insulin, be that table sugar with its 68 score (out of 100) or dextrose/glucose with its 100/100 score.

Back to my earlier point and the approach I've chosen for myself. Now since dairy has a high insulinogenic effect on our system, and the amino acid Leucine can raise and do a good job in spiking insulin all by itself (with zero carbohydrates), I have chosen to use WPI mixed with full cream milk to elicit a significant insulin response. The WPI (by itself mixed with water) will do a tremendous job in spiking insulin, however it will not sustain it (say) as much as a carbohydrate based macro would. Hence, to garner that effect (or one as close to it as possible), I've chosen full cream milk, which comes ready with its (80%) of casein, fatty acids, and simple sugars. All these ingredients combined, would insure an insulin response that is as high if not higher than what pure glucose would elicit, with the added sustainability factor (of that insulinogenic product) that is full cream dairy milk.

a.jpg

Why go through all of the above, than simply ingesting some pure sugar or grape juice or the like? Because the diet I have written for myself does not allow for a great amount of carbohydrates to begin with, hence I have to scrutinise each and every gram of carbohydrate that enters my body, and insure that I'm getting the best return (for my health and desired effects) from them.

So in a nutshell, what I have written above is for me, for the reasons I have outlined. For you? Table sugar, grape juice, or dextrose/glucose might be just what your body needs, since the way you distribute your macronutrients may just fit that criteria. Thank you for taking the time to read, I appreciate it.

http://suppversity.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/whey-more-insulinogenic-than-white.html

Last edited:
- "Glossy labels".

Sorry, but I've got to call troll.

captain-picard-facepalm.jpg

Micky isn't a troll. Just battles with facts at times.

If they eat liver and organ meats etc they probably don't need any.

I doubt they would take any supplements at all.
If not you could hook them up with your guy.

You don't know that at all. Id have a guess and say it's a safe bet they are taking supplements.

- "Glossy labels".

How do you know that you need 1kg of steak?? All meats contain creatine roughly in equal amounts, eggs contain creatine, fish contains creatine.

I would easily consume enough protein based foods in a day to obtain enough creatine.

1kg of steak is not a lot for a full grown man, I know people that will eat that in one sitting. I will easily have 400-500 grams of some sort of meat for dinner, thats not counting 200-300 grams of chicken or Salmon for lunch and the odd can of tuna as a snack, as well as 2-3 eggs and/or some bacon and/or minute steak for breakfast on a normal day.

-Glossy labels is what you pay the big $$ for. ie Glossy label tub of dextrose for body builders $40, dextrose in plain plastic bag from Coles $3, and really I don't even consider dextrose a supplement as such it's just highly processed food, that can/may have some benefits if eaten at the right time in the right combination with other foods.

Pretty sure I understand sugar a lot better than someone paying $40 for a tub of it:p I was the one explaining the use/benefits to you a while back when you argued against it, now you go and buy a $40 tub of it for what ever reason.

Re the jerry can analogy, it's pretty basic what happens to the excess crap you consume, it has to be processed by your body and eliminated from your body by either pissing it out (that bright yellow strongly smelling pee you would have) or coming out when you take a dump in the process causing damage to your body and putting strain on your organs. Supplement manufacturers have little to no regulation, and you don't even know what you are taking and what it will do to your body.

QUOTE :
One should also be aware that excess consumption of creatine can cause damage to vital organs, particularly the pancreas. A single overdose of manufactured creatine can damage the pancreas, and the damage is irreversible. This type of damage to the pancreas usually results in digestive problems, diabetes and death. Even taking recommended doses of manufactured creatine over long periods of time can lead to inflammation of the pancreas, also known as pancreatitis, and pancreatitis can cause permanent damage to the pancreas. In addition, taking creatine supplements for a long time can prevent the body from synthesizing its own creatine. For these reasons, creatine supplements should only be taken for long periods of time under the supervision of a health care provider.

Last edited:
How do you know that you need 1kg of steak?? All meats contain creatine roughly in equal amounts, eggs contain creatine, fish contains creatine.

I would easily consume enough protein based foods in a day to obtain enough creatine.

1kg of steak is not a lot for a full grown man, I know people that will eat that in one sitting. I will easily have 400-500 grams of some sort of meat for dinner, thats not counting 200-300 grams of chicken or Salmon for lunch and the odd can of tuna as a snack, as well as 2-3 eggs and/or some bacon and/or minute steak for breakfast on a normal day.

-Glossy labels is what you pay the big $$ for. ie Glossy label tub of dextrose for body builders $40, dextrose in plain plastic bag from Coles $3

Pretty sure I understand sugar a lot better than someone paying $40 for a tub of it:p I was the one explaining the use/benefits to you a while back when you argued against it, now you go and buy a $40 tub of it for what ever reason.

Re the jerry can analogy, it's pretty basic what happens to the excess crap you consume, it has to be processed by your body and eliminated from your body by either pissing it out (that bright yellow strongly smelling pee you would have) or coming out when you take a dump in the process causing damage to your body and putting strain on your organs. Supplement manufacturers have little to no regulation, and you don't even know what you are taking and what it will do to your body.

QUOTE :
One should also be aware that excess consumption of creatine can cause damage to vital organs, particularly the pancreas. A single overdose of manufactured creatine can damage the pancreas, and the damage is irreversible. This type of damage to the pancreas usually results in digestive problems, diabetes and death. Even taking recommended doses of manufactured creatine over long periods of time can lead to inflammation of the pancreas, also known as pancreatitis, and pancreatitis can cause permanent damage to the pancreas. In addition, taking creatine supplements for a long time can prevent the body from synthesizing its own creatine. For these reasons, creatine supplements should only be taken for long periods of time under the supervision of a health care provider.

If you want to talk $. Whey protein is one of the cheapest sources of protein per gram.

If you want to talk $. Whey protein is one of the cheapest sources of protein per gram.

So how does that justify a $40 tub of dextrose??

Re protein powder I rather eat a minute steak or ¼ chicken or slice of smoked salmon or can of tuna or egg etc as a snack than have protein powder regardless of the cost, I am happy to pay for food I enjoy eating.

I still have a few kilos of protein powder here, that I am struggling to use up, as I use it to fill in any gaps and when looking at my protein powder and then looking at the smoked salmon in the fridge I go for the salmon every time even though it's $40 per kilo, I was using a shake straight after training for a while and I might get back to it just to get rid of the stuff before it goes out of date.

Then again I may not and just turf it into the bin, if any old supplements are still left here by the end of the year they will all go into the bin before I move house.

-Glossy labels is what you pay the big $$ for. ie Glossy label tub of dextrose for body builders $40, dextrose in plain plastic bag from Coles $3, and really I don't even consider dextrose a supplement as such it's just highly processed food, that can/may have some benefits if eaten at the right time in the right combination with other foods.

QUOTE :

So how does that justify a $40 tub of dextrose??

Re protein powder I rather eat a minute steak or ¼ chicken or slice of smoked salmon or can of tuna or egg etc as a snack than have protein powder regardless of the cost, I am happy to pay for food I enjoy eating.

I still have a few kilos of protein powder here, that I am struggling to use up, as I use it to fill in any gaps and when looking at my protein powder and then looking at the smoked salmon in the fridge I go for the salmon every time even though it's $40 per kilo, I was using a shake straight after training for a while and I might get back to it just to get rid of the stuff before it goes out of date.

Then again I may not and just turf it into the bin, if any old supplements are still left here by the end of the year they will all go into the bin before I move house.

Now you are talking about something else with both things.

I never used that to justify buying dextrose. I personally wouldn't do it. Plenty of nice tasting foods I could find with sugar in them if that's what I wanted. That's my preference.

You are now talking personal taste in regards to meat vs whey. What if someone prefers the taste and convenience of protein powder to a snack of chicken breast or steak. What's wrong with that. Not everyone has to like the taste of Mick approved foods.

Mick in another thread you said eat what your body needs, now you're saying eat what you enjoy. Make up your mind.

Where did you get that snippet that creatine is bad? A naturopath website who also tell you to avoid chemicals? Creatine is widely studied and is remarkably safe. Spend 2 minutes on the following link.
https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/

1kg of LEAN steak is just over 1700 calories and 300g of protein. And it would cost approx $20 if using cheaper cuts. Does that sound like an efficient way to consume protein and consequently get $0.02 of creatine? One factor you always ignore which is probably the most important factor in diet and exercise are macros. Eating stupid amounts of food is going to throw your diet out and just isn't a smart or healthy way to eat. Yes you could get 100% of your protein needs from whole meats, but you'll never be able to cut on that. If you lower your calories, you'll be lowering your protein intake a lot.

Hopefully this resonates with you.

I've been taking it for years. The only input you had was to consume it over whole foods when I was adjusting my diet during my comp prep. A bit of a contradictory statement compared to what you usually say, so I didn't take it seriously.

So if you eat too much steak your body is going to shit out undigested protein? Come on, we've all done basic biology in high school. Your body will adjust its metabolism to consume and either use or store all energy/food we give it. I think you can put that analogy to bed.

Last edited: