• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

why i converted from BB to PL?

I think until u have stepped on stage your only a lifter.

Would a guy who trains only upper body be considered a body builder?
Re:The definition of a BB is symmetry/balance/conditioning.

Would a guy who constantly bulks year round and never diets also be considered a bodybuilder? Because dieting is to hard

See this is where everyone has their own ideas...

Its like me for example....I have followed bbing for years, I have trained it, I have eaten like one etc etc, but never really had a huge drive to step on stage (I did diet down for a show when I was a teen) and now I am having the urge to compete...

But what would you call me for example? I train like a bodybuilder, I eat like a bodybuilder and I look better and bigger than alot of ppl that compete from my gym....

Would you put me in the same category as your avg joe gym goer who goes in does some weights n cardio, leaves and looks the same all year round?

I was having a chat with someone about this the other day. We came to the conclusion that it's almost like a religion - I don't understand bodybuilding in the same way I don't understand Christianity. Both seem pointless and nonsensical, but for those that participate (in either), it's their whole life.

I respect what other people wish to do with their time and what goals they may have, but I don't ever see it being for me.

I was having a chat with someone about this the other day. We came to the conclusion that it's almost like a religion - I don't understand bodybuilding in the same way I don't understand Christianity. Both seem pointless and nonsensical, but for those that participate (in either), it's their whole life.

I respect what other people wish to do with their time and what goals they may have, but I don't ever see it being for me.

What do you train for mate? More strength?

I didn't even consciously make the transition from BB'ing training to PL. I followed Arnold style routines and had always started all my sessions working up to heavy low reps of a compound exercise before doing volume. One day I decided to do a program to bring my deads and bench up (Smolov Jr) then backed that up with squats (Smolov). I ran some GVT after this but kept reseaching strength programs until I found WSB... and the rest was history. My old BB'ing training has a place in PL, its assistance work and prehab work now.

But I haven't done a calf raise in nearly 2 years, and haven't curled for months.

And Buddy, saying PL training isn't functional is just retarded. If it wasn't functional then why is it so heavily used in training for contact sports?

Try and not make this thread a BB/PL thread.. lol

Its but a POV. As long as your lifting i think its better than none at all.

I see pros/cons to both on the extremes. Trying to find a medium ground at the moment. Which seems hard as bat shit.

BB - Diet down to an unhealthy state and really watch what u eat and calorie expenditure for a contest. Basically becoming a hermit.

PL - The really huge guys at EFS for example would not be able to run 10m without having a heart attack or walk kup a flight of steps.
Drop weight to meet weight classes by using different tricks such as sitting in a sauna for 7 hours to get there.

We need to make this clear that Powerlifting/strength training has alot more crossover with functional strength than bodybuilding training does...

I think Hamish's lack of tan let him down....
Up and coming bodybuilder with potential.

500411-hamish-bodybuilding.jpg

Last edited:
I think Hamish's lack of tan let him down....
Up and coming bodybuilder with potential.

500411-hamish-bodybuilding.jpg

As much as I love Hamish and Andy and as funny as it looks...this shows disrespect to the guys competing who have worked their ass off to get on stage...

I think trentzor has had an epiphany; that you cannot make chicken soup out of chicken shit.

Functional training, what is it?

There seems to be an emphases on "functional strength" and performance in the weight training world, even for those that don't play a sport.
I think this may be because many of the people writing articles and publishing books these days work with athletes, not bodybuilders.

To look better physically, more than any single factor, is the primary reason people exercise. I’m all for bodybuilding for bodybuilding’s sake alone.

But back to functional strength.
Most athletes and coaches have completely missed the mark when it comes to functional or sport-specific strength.
The whole idea centers on transfer.
What you do in practice must transfer productively to a game, or it shouldn’t be included, right?

Lastly no one is wrong and no one is right.
As I've stated before; bodybiulders will benefit training like power lifters from time to time and visa-versa.

And finally, you show me a team that were they all benche 200 and I'll show you a team that spends too much time in the gym and not enough time on the track, practicing their skills.

These are my thoughts, looking at Trent's self actulization reminds me of me at that point in time.

Last edited:
I think trentzor has had an epiphany; that you cannot make chicken soup out of chicken shit.

Functional training, what is it?

There seems to be an emphases on "functional strength" and performance in the weight training world, even for those that don't play a sport.
I think this may be because many of the people writing articles and publishing books these days work with athletes, not bodybuilders.

To look better physically, more than any single factor, is the primary reason people exercise. I’m all for bodybuilding for bodybuilding’s sake alone.

But back to functional strength.
Most athletes and coaches have completely missed the mark when it comes to functional or sport-specific strength.
The whole idea centers on transfer.
What you do in practice must transfer productively to a game, or it shouldn’t be included, right?

Lastly no one is correct and no one is right.
As I've stated before; bodybiulders will benefit training like power lifters from time to time and visa-versa.

And finally, you show me a team that were they all benche 200 and I'll show you a team that spends too much time in the gym and not enough time on the track, practicing their skills.

These are my thoughts, looking at Trent's self actulization reminds me of me at that point in time.

At the end of the day if you can develop a naturally good athlete and make them bigger, faster, stronger etc etc they will be a better athlete...

I agree with the rest of what you said....surprise surprise lol