• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

why i converted from BB to PL?

TrentZor

Some have questioned in the past why i just picked up strength training as a whole.

When i was in my 20's. It was about chasing the girls and looking good.
But mostly i trained it seemed for everybody else NOT for myself.
After 10 years i was getting sick of this lifestyle.

looking in the mirror/trying to please everybody but yourself through looks.
Such is bodybuilding. TBH if there was nobody else around i wouldnt bother training. Dont kid yourself here.

I visited a small garage gym in frankston 2 years ago and had a chat to the owner. Through him i realized that u can still obtain size and mass yet u lift FOR YOURSELF to make u happy. I now feel stronger in everything i do and all that muscle actually has a function.

Not just blown up balloons. Alot of u younger guys on here will not agree as your still going through the motions of being young but when your older your insight will change.

Ever since then i have been more motivated then ever to keep lifting chasing those numbers. I still care what i look like to a degree.
But i dont look at myself as much anymore like i do nor do i care what other people think about how i look like as much. If i want to shred i just change my diet - simple.

The most important part is im still lifting and LOVING it. Because without it lifting becomes a chore.

Last edited:
I disagree with a lot of what you've said, particularly the stuff below about not lifting for yourself just cos you want to be a bodybuilder.

Such is bodybuilding. TBH if there was nobody else around i wouldnt bother training. Dont kid yourself here.

Maybe we have different definitions of bodybuilding.

For example, while I train for bodybuilding, I don't really use bodybuilder training techniques. And all my strength pretty much IS functional.

So I'm probably closer to training powerlifting style anyway, but unlike you (claim), I do care about how I look.

But it is not about chasing girls, or training for anyone else. I do it for me. And you'd better believe I'd still do it if nobody else was around.

Last edited:
You may be an exception pistachio but the majority who understands the differences.
how many bro's do u see at your gym wear the smallest singlets or zyzz lookalikes?
Every chance gets to look in a mirror?
Size up to the next guy at a party?

What is the point of getting to sub 7% bodyfat and putting yourself in a unhealthy state walking around brain fogged/forgetting your pin code. To make yourself happy or others giving u praise to make u happy?

Beauty is worshiped in humans and even at a cost of fad diets to look good at the cost of ones health.

What is the point of getting to sub 7% bodyfat and putting yourself in a unhealthy state walking around brain fogged/forgetting your pin code. To make yourself happy or others giving u praise to make u happy?

Do you really need to put yourself in an unhealthy state to get there?? I'm going to try to get absolutely shredded later this year and I"m fairly sure it'll be the healthiest I'll have ever been, because I will be doing some cardio (for the first time in years) and my diet will have to be even more strict.

Won't be doing keto or anything tho, as that stuff seems too extreme.

Is that what you are talking about?

Surely having 6-8% bodyfat is not unhealthy if it is achieved through hard work and good diet.

Every chance gets to look in a mirror?
Size up to the next guy at a party?

I'll admit i still do this lol. But it isn't why i train. I just like validation for my efforts.

Beauty is worshiped in humans and even at a cost of fad diets to look good at the cost of ones health.

I still don't think the two are mutually exclusive.... But I think in peoples' quest to get there quickly and at any cost, they do it in an unhealthy way (think fat girls that starve themselves or young guys that go on juice and clen and shit).

But if you put in the time and effort, you can definitely have both an admirable physique and be in top health.

Do you really need to put yourself in an unhealthy state to get there?? I'm going to try to get absolutely shredded later this year and I"m fairly sure it'll be the healthiest I'll have ever been, because I will be doing some cardio (for the first time in years) and my diet will have to be even more strict.

Won't be doing keto or anything tho, as that stuff seems too extreme.

Is that what you are talking about?

Surely having 6-8% bodyfat is not unhealthy if it is achieved through hard work and good diet.

I'll reply more when I have time...but this comment caught my eye....no it will not be the healthiest you'll ever be...being overly "shredded" for a human natrual or not is very UNhealthy thing to do for long periods of time......

Some have questioned in the past why i just picked up strength training as a whole.

I visited a small garage gym in frankston 2 years ago and had a chat to the owner. Through him i realized that u can still obtain size and mass yet u lift FOR YOURSELF to make u happy. I now feel stronger in everything i do and all that muscle actually has a function.

Not just blown up balloons. Alot of u younger guys on here will not agree as your still going through the motions of being young but when your older your insight will change.

Ever since then i have been more motivated then ever to keep lifting chasing those numbers. I still care what i look like to a degree.
But i dont look at myself as much anymore like i do nor do i care what other people think about how i look like as much. If i want to shred i just change my diet - simple.

The most important part is im still lifting and LOVING it. Because without it lifting becomes a chore.

Haha You have certainly come a long way from when I first crossed your path on other boards. I remember having a go at you a few times about half assed training and music festivals and other such crap. Much respect to you dude, you have found something to make it meaningful and you didn't get lost and fall back into mediocrity.

Each person is different from a motivational point of view. You found your groove in power, some will find it in bodybuilding but you are right that it has to be about you and not for others.

Pistachio, you are basically talking about doing a proper contest prep to get as lean as you intend to and I say go for it but it won't be the healthiest that you have been. Joel is right about that. Bodyfat has functions in health and maintaining low levels for extended periods is not good for you. Short periods won't hurt you though so get lean and see what you have built and then come back up to 10 or 12 percent and you can be the healthiest you have ever been there.

I have sort of done it the other way round to Trent - I fluffed around for about a year when I 1st started doing a mix of bbing style stuff and powerlifting style training...then for 3 years it was purely bbing training...always trained heavy and I put on a fuck load of size...then I turned to powerlifting...I dont know why I did, or what made me fall inlove with it but I did...I knew it was going to be a struggle due to the injuries I had but I gave it my everything for 3 years and then the injuries got the best of me and I got abit smarter....now I train to look better and feel better...train injure free and get the most out of my physique as I can....

I still train fucking heavy and always to failure and I give it everything I have when I do train...I put my training focus down to my powerlifting days and the people I trained around then...the intensity was crazy....

Everyone has their journey in training and its never to be judged....aslong as that person is giving it their all then if your training for bbin, pling, or a hybrid of both then everyone deserve respect....

I have known Trent on the boards for a number of years now and I have seen his journey much like he has mine and its great to see when a lifter finds a method of training that makes them truely happy, they are getting great results and most of all they are enjoying the training they are doing and its fun...

how is powerlifting functional? Since when do you need to lift 300kgs from the ground?

The term "bodybuilding" is thrown around quite loosely though.

Would you consider all the blokes in "Men's health" bodybuilders?

Would you consider all the zyzz idiots with their fluro shorts, stove pipe legs and shredded upper torso's "bodybuilders"??

yes and i sure don't need to powerlift to do that.. lol

You don't think gaining extra strength in those muscles help you.

Just like 100m sprinters do a lot of squats in training but they don't squat in competition. They are gaining general strength in the muscles they use for sprinting.

Using your deadlift example. The deadlift is probably the most basic and functional exercise there is.

Would you consider all the zyzz idiots with their fluro shorts, stove pipe legs and shredded upper torso's "bodybuilders"??

This is a topic we touched on acouple weeks ago and its a topic I have seen on many forums before and it turns into a shit fight coz everyone has their own idea of what a "bodybuilder" is....

For me its someone who is looking to build their body to become more muscular and pleasing to the eye. You have 2 types of bodybuilders a
non-competitive bodybuilder and also a competitive bodybuilder.

This is a topic we touched on acouple weeks ago and its a topic I have seen on many forums before and it turns into a shit fight coz everyone has their own idea of what a "bodybuilder" is....

For me its someone who is looking to build their body to become more muscular and pleasing to the eye. You have 2 types of bodybuilders a
non-competitive bodybuilder and also a competitive bodybuilder.

I think the definition is extremely clear. Do you compete in the sport. If not you are just doing exercise.

no, and hell no to the second one.

You don't think gaining extra strength in those muscles help you.

Just like 100m sprinters do a lot of squats in training but they don't squat in competition. They are gaining general strength in the muscles they use for sprinting.

Using your deadlift example. The deadlift is probably the most basic and functional exercise there is.

i could easily pick up a pen off the ground before training, nothings changed.