• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why does everyone jackoff to the little shit?

All i was saying is that, guys trying to get big tris waste time on pushdowns, guys trying to get a big back fuck around on lat pulls, guys wanting big delts dont press overhead heavy, guys wanting a big chest fuck around on crossovers, etc etc. want big tris? dips and close grip benches, want a big back? weighted chins and heavy tbars and or bb rows, want big shoulders? behind the neck presess, yes behind the neck! oooooohh, legs, sqauts, hams? stiff legs, calves? well who the fuck would train calves unless they wanted to be a competitive bodybuilder

All i was saying is that, guys trying to get big tris waste time on pushdowns, guys trying to get a big back fuck around on lat pulls, guys wanting big delts dont press overhead heavy, guys wanting a big chest fuck around on crossovers, etc etc. want big tris? dips and close grip benches, want a big back? weighted chins and heavy tbars and or bb rows, want big shoulders? behind the neck presess, yes behind the neck! oooooohh, legs, sqauts, hams? stiff legs, calves? well who the fuck would train calves unless they wanted to be a competitive bodybuilder

It's the bodybuilding section and we train calves. Next time post elsewhere

I agree.

Fuck training calves.

10/10 bait thread, would read again. BTW Markos did a newsletter on pretty much this exact subject once. Unfortunately these days in most gyms only "powerlifters" squat and deadlift regularly. Agree in principle about the difference in aesthetics between top tier IPF to GPC / other fed lifters, depends how far you're willing to take the 'more weight on bar at any cost' mantra I guess.

If OP is sincere, I understand what you're getting at, but to post this in a BB section is trolling, therefore pic related

nrwok.jpg

I used to think like you. Then I saw my full body all at once and realised that despite all my squats and deadlifts I was walking around on pin pricks because I didn't train calves. I had become the exact thing I'd spent the previous 3 years mocking more than anything else. I learned my lesson. I'll never not train calves again.

I used to think like you. Then I saw my full body all at once and realised that despite all my squats and deadlifts I was walking around on pin pricks because I didn't train calves. I had become the exact thing I'd spent the previous 3 years mocking more than anything else. I learned my lesson. I'll never not train calves again.
Some one talking some sense.

Stiff legged deadlift for calf work...theres a new one.

The way I see it is if you want big calves you train them, if you want strong calves you train them - be it a bodybuilder or powerlifter you want to take advantage of everything you can to be better than the next person.

Yes of course stick to the basics but you aint hardcore, or whatever for not training different bodyparts...

What do people think that powerlifters shouldnt do direct ab work because they squat or deadlift.

There isnt different exercises just because there can be - each work in different ways and target muscle groups in different ways.

If squat/deadlift/bench/overhead press was all people need then they the hell did people ever do other exercises......why isnt Mr.O just simply doing those? Why arnt the best powerlifters in the world just doing those exercises....

The whole bench/squad/deadlift shit is the bro-science of the powerlifting world.

I have nothing against doing a bit of work now and again on certain muscle groups, hell, I've done some calve work throughout my time, probably will do in the future, but it think, that for most of us there needs to be a lot of time spent on the calve to make them increase in thickness just a micron, calve raises alone are not going to cut it.

SLDL's, squats, dead's, farmers, hill sprints are just some of the big guns, that you can work with day to day.

too much direct calve work can lead to problems.

as an aside, I don't see any value to a power lifter, or any athlete for that matter to do "direct" calve work, no longer than a couple of months anyway.

calves only play a very small role in athletic performance

Last edited:
Some of the top powerlifters and strongmen (and various other athletes) in the world do, and recommend doing, isolation work such as curls, calf raises, laterals, etc.

And, just for example, Dan Green started off lifting "bodybuilding style" for years, and according to him, this helped to build a solid foundation. I'd say it worked...