• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why do so many people train on the same stupid split routine?

Show me an example day's work and the time taken please?

A typical days workout you mean?

For example, a typical back/biceps routine, all up under an hour.
Currently I'm doing 3 different exercises for back and 2 for biceps

10 min. general warmup
Deadlifts
- 1x8 warmup
- 1x8 warmup
- 1x6 work set

Seated Row
- 1x10 warmup
- 1x8 work set
- 1x8 work set

Lat Pulldown
- 1x8 warmup
- 1x8 work set
- 1x7 work set

Barbell Curl
- 1x10 warm up
- 1x8 work set
- 1x8 work set

Incline Dumbell Curl
- 1x8 warm up
- 1x8 work set
- 1x6 work set

I wouldn't be surprised by what your friends and aquaintenances do, remember, you are teenagers!

Every one learns about training from different sources so you should expect that people have differing ways of training and that you will have disagreements.

Azz is spot on, who cares what other people are doing :)

Of course, i respect what they are doing, respect that they are making an effort at all. just don't like the way they bag me out while they know barely anything about the sport after training for a month off a beginners bb.com program. Just gets annoying .

But your definately right :)

A typical days workout you mean?

For example, a typical back/biceps routine, all up under an hour.
Currently I'm doing 3 different exercises for back and 2 for biceps

10 min. general warmup
Deadlifts
- 1x8 warmup
- 1x8 warmup
- 1x6 work set

Seated Row
- 1x10 warmup
- 1x8 work set
- 1x8 work set

Lat Pulldown
- 1x8 warmup
- 1x8 work set
- 1x7 work set

Barbell Curl
- 1x10 warm up
- 1x8 work set
- 1x8 work set

Incline Dumbell Curl
- 1x8 warm up
- 1x8 work set
- 1x6 work set

So about 15 sets in total for an hour?

A typical day for me is:

Military Press
8 x warmup
5 x workset
5 x workset
failure x workset

Weight chins
8 x workset
6 x workset

Squat
10 x warmup
5 x work set
5 x work set
failure x work set

10 sets for about 45 mins. (Though some days I'll follow with 15 minutes of HIIT, sprint intervals and / or plyometrics)

Last edited:
Split routines will have their place and work. If your training for looks/size. They will need to bring up lagging bodyparts with a split routine this is made easier. Something a full body cannot as your overtaxed.

But your an athlete playing footy and your training should be centred around strength/power/speed. Which a full body routine with good assistance thrown in can deliver.

Different goals.

IF your friends tell u your routine is stupid. Maybe a years down the track and your say in the NRL. They might not be saying the same thing. ;)

Last edited:
Very true TrentZor
I guess this thread being in the bodybuilding section I would assume that is what the goal is here.

i personally know there is a distinct difference between pure bodybuilding and strength.

They are the same in respects when your a "beginner" to weights (compound+compound will get u results faster as a beginner there is no doubt) but it changes as u move towards the more intermediate/advanced stages and there is a very clear and distinct line between the two by this stage in training methods.

P.s dark yeah i didnt look at where it was posted lol.. I just click on new posts and answer hahaha

Split routines will have their place and work. If your training for looks/size. They will need to bring up lagging bodyparts with a split routine this is made easier. Something a full body cannot as your overtaxed.

But your an athlete playing footy and your training should be centred around strength/power/speed. Which a full body routine with good assistance thrown in can deliver.

Different goals.

IF your friends tell u your routine is stupid. Maybe a years down the track and your say in the NRL. They might not be saying the same thing. ;)

Yep. Dw i'll prove them wrong when i'm playing toyota cup in a few years :)

In my view, any beginner should really get the benefits of a guided program at a gym to ensure correct & safe technique as well as understanding of volume and effort needs.

Depending on previous athletic activity, a beginner should start with full body workouts, maybe 2-3 times p/week. After a while as weights lifted and intensity increases, just out of time efficiency and drain on energy levels, body part splitting becomes necessary.

'Old school' would see a 'push/pull' split first- which does pre-exhaust smaller supporting muscles but this in itself is not a bad thing.

Hopefully by this stage the beginner has begun to understand what works best for their body, can access forum like this, and so can change split (which I reckon should happen anyway over time to mix it up and shock the muscles.

Maybe then try antagonistic splitting eg Chest/biceps or Back/triceps etc. If you have the time and inclination, single muscle group sessions could be done eg day 1 chest, day 2 back etc.

It's an individual thing, if it works, then it's right for you I guess.

I honestly don't even take notice of the splits that anybody else does. Also i don't understand how it could annoy you, I love it that people do different splits to me as it means they are less likely to use the same equipment.

+1:)

I like the fact that everybody does chest and biceps at my gym every single day, so they take up all the dumbell's and cables and leave all the barbells for me.

I like the fact that everybody does chest and biceps at my gym every single day, so they take up all the dumbell's and cables and leave all the barbells for me.

I've got a friend who pretty much just trains chest unless he works out with me. And when he does work out with me, it usually by chance happens to be chest day.

maybe im missing the point you guys are making here didnt read all comments,

i work on a split routine but i probably have a different goal from you guys its more of a physique thing aswell as maintining heavy lifts with my main 3 so bench squats and deads, but the rest i guess the rest of my routine could be classified as hypertrophy

this is the only reason i dont make a training log on here cause there are people who are one sided who will tell you to do something instead of just constructive criticism.

You probably shouldn't have made a thread bashing split routines in the bodybuilding forum. I've been doing a 5 day split for 7 weeks and have had the best gains i've ever had.

Just re read your OP and l think you have a problem with chest / tris instead of having a day purely dedicated to chest? Not too sure now....

Just to clarify, I don't believe Sam was bashing split routines in general, which by the way I think are superior for bodybuilding and muscle growth purposes, rather he was questioning why do some combine chest/tri, back/bi in their split routine.
This was answered early on in the thread but it then got side tracked.

I don't think beginners should be on split routines. Splits have their place but not for a beginner. It doesnt matter if your goal is physique or strength.

Beginners need to build a foundation strength and also learn how their bodies actually work.

Compound movements should be staple in any beginner program. The program should be appropriate for their skill and age. For example I wouldnt give a 15yo whos never picked up a weight back squats. You need to progress to back squats but Id start them on goblet squats, then dumbell squats and then back squats for example.

I argree with Trent that splits are great for bringing up under developed areas but only once in the intermediate+ level.

Alright i've always wondered, why do i always see every idiot doing the same split routine which always consists of back and bi's and chest and shoulders or chest and tri's.

What person could honestly think you will get the full benefits of a split if your going to train the main muscle which uses a secondary muscle that your going to train next up. Everybody knows that shoulders are used while working chest so usually on a split routine shoulders would be just as fatigued as chest, why do people always train shoulders after chest why don't they put it in a different day? I know its probably a stupid question but FUCK its annoying me that its so widely advertised as a split routine, all the noobs some how get onto this.

Is there any reason why people do this or is everyone just fucking idiots lol

I understand your thinking but your missing the point completely. The reason they train the secondary muscles such as triceps on chest day is because they are pre-fatigued already. This makes it common sense to train these muscles because they have already been hit. If you change and do them on another day than you are training that muscle twice as often as the rest of your body parts. This is fine if you are trying to bring up lagging body parts but often it would just lead to an unbalanced physique. Traditional splits such as push/pull/legs are traditional because they have stood the test of time and work quite well.
If you hit the secondary muscles on the same day, they will get more time to heal, thus growth will be maximized.

IMO, splits work well, but if you split the muscles up to much than you get the point of diminishing returns and thus reduce the effectiveness of any routine because you would only get around to training each body part/muscle every 2 weeks or so maybe more depending on how far you go splitting up muscles.......think about it, there are many muscles on the body.....should you train each one individually? or a couple at a time or in groups? and if you are already hitting shoulders or triceps on chest day, you might as well finish off breaking them down so they can than heal and grow. Super low frequency would be pointless, to separate every muscle of the body to individually train it would simply take you to many days to do.
Even the most advanced body builders still do at least 2 muscles on a training day. It makes sense to hit the muscles that are getting used in a particular movement.......if your hitting quads, your secondary muscles would be hamstrings/gluts and calves, efficiency would tell you to finish them off on the same day as they are from the same muscle group anyway.

That's my take on it, I think I have understood your question.

At the end of the day....its just advice fellas, do whatever the FUCK you wanna do :D:D:D (hodge twins LOL)