• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why did you start lifting?

Started lifting like 4 years ago when i was 17 but didnt know shit all and being in the country the only gym membership available was $1100. I didnt have a job at 17 so that was out of the question.

Moved to Adelaide about 3 years ago and did fek all except eat sleep and work, with more eating and sleeping than working. Put on like 20kgs in about 1 and a half years (was already about 10kg over weight) and decided enough is enough. Somehow during this time i managed to keep my girlfriend of now 5 years, dont ask me how, i would have left my fat ass.

Got a new Job, more pay, better hours. Got a gym membership. Read PTC newsletter. Lost 15kg in 11 weeks.

Still got a long way to go, looking at dropping another 10-15kgs and continue adding muscle and strength. I will get there and still as determined as ever.

Big Jim, can I ask how you heard about my newsletters?

Well done as well, I noticed your pulling 150kg, great job

Cheers Markos, Im on ns.com as Stupified. Names James. Heard you and some others talking about this place so thought i would check it out.

I dont run my own training center or comps but i think you need to reduce your rest periods between lifting :p

To impress the opposite sex and to get aerobically fit (mainly cardio when I started). However I now enjoy lifting weights as the extra strength helps me to complete more physical tasks in my life. My goal is not to be as strong as possible, but to have good cardio and a athletic muscular body. I also had a goal to equal the girls at PTC of a deadlift of 140kg which I have now achieved. I aim to go higher to a double body weight deadlift of around 150-155kg.

lots of reasons... i want to be bigger and stronger than most people, i want to be healthy, i want to be someone my wife and future kids respect, i want to be a better soccer player and maybe most of all i know its really hard and most people fail so i want to test myself.

My main goal was body imagine when i first started. Then i got addicted to deadlifts and squats thanks to markos info.

Otherwise i would still be on the pecdec and running on a treadmill.

Well we all had to start somewhere.

pseudonym: it has the 1st 3 on your list :)

Bluey: havnt really noticed any wankers and I sometimes have the place to myself, must be the time of day I go but ill definitly come along and check out Powersports; im moving to queanbeyan soon so driving to Fyshwick will be definitly better then Phillip

Soz for thread derail ;)

Hey mate - your very welcome to come down, check it out and have a session to see how you find it!

As bluey and some of the other guys said - we have everything you need and then some and we are already planning on getting more equipment - Mid jan will see us getting Strongman - Yoke, Farmers walk, log and also a Rev hyper - to come after that will be another power rack, supported row, 45 degree hyper and a few other little bits.

Also as the guys said the price will be fairly diff i.e 12 months at PowerSports $350 and Elite prob close to $1,000.

Very welcome here mate - also seeing as though your moving to qbyn we will be sponsoring some of the local union/league teams so you will prob see our name around town also.

Ok sorry back on topic! - i'll stop being a salesman! lol

The reason I started training was because I was in alot of A.C.T development squads for Union as a junior and they pretty much made us go to the gym - I then discovered I liked training more than I liked playing union lol - that mixed with back injuries from scrums I stopped playing rugby and started training to compete in bodybuilding and then moving onto powerlifting and strength and conditioning - now im working with union teams to prepare their juniors for senior level - so its nearly been full circle lol

Hey mate - your very welcome to come down, check it out and have a session to see how you find it!

As bluey and some of the other guys said - we have everything you need and then some and we are already planning on getting more equipment - Mid jan will see us getting Strongman - Yoke, Farmers walk, log and also a Rev hyper - to come after that will be another power rack, supported row, 45 degree hyper and a few other little bits.

Also as the guys said the price will be fairly diff i.e 12 months at PowerSports $350 and Elite prob close to $1,000.

Very welcome here mate - also seeing as though your moving to qbyn we will be sponsoring some of the local union/league teams so you will prob see our name around town also.

Ok sorry back on topic! - i'll stop being a salesman! lol

The reason I started training was because I was in alot of A.C.T development squads for Union as a junior and they pretty much made us go to the gym - I then discovered I liked training more than I liked playing union lol - that mixed with back injuries from scrums I stopped playing rugby and started training to compete in bodybuilding and then moving onto powerlifting and strength and conditioning - now im working with union teams to prepare their juniors for senior level - so its nearly been full circle lol

$350 A YEAR!!!!

I pay $650 a year and all i use is:
Bench
Barbell
Squat Cage
Incline Bench
Dumbbells

I play squash but they charge me $14 each time lol

$650 was one of the cheapest i found also, i am in Adelaide.

Yeh Elite was $18 a visit 2/3 times a week and all I used was a powercage and platform. I didnt want to sign on for a membership knowing PS was opening soon. So much cheaper/easier.

self esteem issues for me.

Although I was smart, being a skinny fat dude all my life haunted me. In university things got worse as I turned to alcohol, junk food and drugs for recreation. The ugly fat image, the lack of strength, lack of fitness and the feeling of lethargy had a spillover effect on all aspects of my life. Matters only really got worse when my ex and I broke up. That was a major turning point... but instead of going into self destruction mode like many people, i decided to get smart and go into life transformation mode.

I guess I should tell you a little about myself.

My name is Andy Mitchell, I'm 48.
I enjoyed playing footy, most of which was with Old hailebury, I wasn't flash, mainly backline, wasn't too fast or mobile, I was 16 and playing with much older people, in hindsight not a good idea, I worked in Moorabbin, met a bodybuilder, he signed me up to a gym in cheltenham, that's when my passion for the pig iron started, I became quite large, bigger than most on my team.
Training with weight's was unheard of, you where considered gay.

In 1983? I joined Bodytalk in Mitcham I was introduced to Nautilus equipment, this was a revelation's, I was able to train very quickly, I was a signle parent with limited time.
I discovered "intensity".
Someone at that gym gave me a book "nautilus training" by Ellington Darden, this intrigued me so much - went to his web site, which led me to Garage gym.com (now gone) to Cyberpump.com, then to Dave Drapers site (whom are my very good friends, Laree and Dave), the internet was new and so were forums, I have been lucky to have met and talked to the most amazing people in that time.
I stay in touch with many off them.

In that time I have done many cert's, trained footy clubs, the best most rewarding workout I have done was squatting 5x5-125kg 20 x 80kg, pullover; 120x12, , high-pull; 100kgx11 dip; 30kgx12 plus 4neg's...chin-ups.
I still regularly train, I still perform a 3x3 workout, once a week, which is the essence of H.I.T.
I have spoken to many people who were close to Arthur Jones, Jim Bryan one of them.

I considered a PT career, but my job was too well paid, it's something I will do when I retire.

That's it really- I consider myself a lifting hobbyist and a minimalist in terms of my training.

No real reason although getting fitter and slimmer was always in the back of my mind during my teen years, I wouldn't stick to anything and was horribly misinformed.

Last year, a mate bought me into the gym and the bug bit.