• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why are box squats harder

Out of interest, why are peoples box squat numbers lower than their squats?... i ask because this might give me a key as to whats wrong with my squat, as i feel like what i'm doing is about the same as i'd do to sit on a box and get back up again when i do my squats....

Some people just use the box to "touch and go", in which case it would depend how low down the box is, compared to how deep they usually go.

But I guess you mean the powerlifting type move, where you sit down completely, then get back up. That's closer to a paused squat, which is always going to be harder (like a paused bench). Coming from a dead stop just is, as per proper deadlifts.

Er, that's as far as I understand them. I don't do box squats, if you couldn't tell. ;)

Mark Rippetoe said:
They remove the stretch reflex from the bottom of the squat, and thereby make the squat about twice as hard - so you have to use about 40% less weight on the bar, depending on where the depth is set.

theres no bounce or momentum carry through down to up motion. .. its a pause which is harder to move from stand still.

My box is a good 20kg higher than my free squat to same depth. It's probably, like everything, an individual thing. Most of the research I've seen on pro athletes (ie not lifters) have their box squat significantly higher than their squat (5-10%) example using rugby player means

Locks n=121 Box= 157 Free= 141
Inside backs n=212 Box= 155 Free= 141
Centres n=58 Box= 163 Free= 151
Outside backs n=172 Box= 157 Free= 145

If you box squat more than you free squat it's because your box is set too high, your free squat sucks anus or your name is Chuck Vogelpohl

My box is a good 20kg higher than my free squat to same depth. It's probably, like everything, an individual thing. Most of the research I've seen on pro athletes (ie not lifters) have their box squat significantly higher than their squat (5-10%) example using rugby player means

Locks n=121 Box= 157 Free= 141
Inside backs n=212 Box= 155 Free= 141
Centres n=58 Box= 163 Free= 151
Outside backs n=172 Box= 157 Free= 145

This would almost definitely be because of high box squats. If your box squat is above your free squat there is a very high chance your doing something wrong.

hmm... so maybe my 70KG's feels heavier because i'm stopping at the bottom trying to get depth...

How high is your box? For all we know you're squatting to a shoe box lol. Ideallya box is around parallel squat depth with the abiltity to go 5cm higher or lower so you can work multiple stances for full range of motion.

If you're able to, go to a strength based gym and get your form checked. There are gyms available in every state so hopefully its an option.

=)

If it wasn't miles away and presumably booked up till 2020 PTC frankston would be my pick based on what i've seen around these forums :).

I know my flexibility is crap, giving myself a month to work on that, then i'll get some hands on help if i can't progress with 'internet help' :)

I don't actually have a box, I'm just pausing a lot at the bottom while i try to find my depth and stretch....

If it wasn't miles away and presumably booked up till 2020 PTC frankston would be my pick based on what i've seen around these forums :).

I know my flexibility is crap, giving myself a month to work on that, then i'll get some hands on help if i can't progress with 'internet help' :)

I don't actually have a box, I'm just pausing a lot at the bottom while i try to find my depth and stretch....
' :)

Without a box your not doing box squats.

Didn't you say in another post you had a squat of 180??? or something around that but it halved when you tried to go to depth. Maybe you've just got too much weight on the bar. Go light enough so you can get arse to ground and then start gradually adding weight continuing with arse to ground form.

It can be pretty humbling when you start doing lifts with strict form.

I want to try these now to see how much I can box squat.
How would these help in powerlifting?