• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Which Would You Choose?

Thankyou oc so many lol's. I didn't even know a fruitarian was a thing. Oh fuck thats gold.

You should check out this skeleton of a guy on YouTube Brick, praising the virtues of a fruitarian diet, they're bigger crackpots than vegans.

If I was lifting for looks, I could probably do worse than to end up like these guys:

image002b.jpg

johngrimek5.jpg

Yeah I like the look of the pro bodybuilders. They have trained damned hard to get to be the best in there sport and if we're easy there would be a shit tin more of these big guys getting around.

Last edited:
here it is again for you... both look unnatural
img0633dj8.jpg
image_gallery

Dont get it. unnatural pants?
why does it matter if the pic is me or not?
not relevant to the thread, I only asked what every one preferred(so, I can learn learn and grow), and said what I thought about things. pretty general and not personal at all.

I think that the majority of men and women would universally agree that steeve reeves was damn near the perfect physique

I would like to see a little lower bodyfat and bigger legs on him though

I think that the majority of men and women would universally agree that steeve reeves was damn near the perfect physique

I would like to see a little lower bodyfat and bigger legs on him though

Not much differnce then arnold tho. and Arnold was taller and bigger.

Reeves
Thighs: 27
210lbs

Arnold
thighs 28½"
competition weight was 235 lbs
I would say Grecian seems more "ideal"...but I guess it's relative. if you want good proportion then, it is, ideal size depends on your size and height.

I do like the look of Arnold's era they still adhered to the classical proportions which is why people will always look at the black & white photos of them & aspire to it(more so,Frank Zane.)
what do you guys think the 'perfect' body proportions are? Do you like steeve reeves or the grecian ideal, or do you think something else is more ideal?

I think guys that are too huge don't look good. Arnold kept classical proportions--and that's why he looked awesome, and that's why people aspire to look like him. The Bodybuilders in our day simply look freaky--it's not attractive. My question I guess is, what looks 'good'. Do 20" arms look good on a 5'8" guy? How about 22" arms on a 5'6" guy? I guess more than proportions I wonder what people think is 'ideal'.

kai with Reeves level of fat?
img0633dj8.jpg

regardles of your personal preference in men :p he's still a f#cking big unit! and deserves respect for that

why has Steve now become a "classic physique builder" rather than a "Natural body builder"??

Yeah, many say classic physiques died after the 40's or 50's.

Here's a whole blog on just classic physiques vs. modern day bodybuilding: Classic Physique Builder: Classic Physique Ideal

The general idea is that bodybuilders no longer look healthy or attractive; so people say that's why the golden age is over...

This is pretty interesting too:
Old time bodybuilder Statues - Sideshow Freaks

It shows about 20 guys (including arnold) saying they looked up to steve reeves growing up. The article says that a lot of the physiques we see in comic books were based on steve reeves as well. Although steeve reeves had greek proportions, if you look at his measurements, he's probably a little bigger than what we might consider typical greek proportions. The irony of all that is he looks tiny compared to modern day muscle freaks.

There are many ways of definig classical, but if you think in historical terms, the classical male body would be that of the greek ideal and the aureal proportion. Just look at classical greek statues and you will see what I mean. For those who have Convict Conditioning, Wade talks about this and even shows two photos of greek statues in the book. It´s very deifferent from today bodybuilding standards. No small waist, no huge pecs and a very balanced torso. If you think in that way, Eugene Sandow have the most perfect physique, the guy looks like a greek statue. And of course, what´s considered beautiful varies with time and culture.

I was reading somewhere how guys like Sandow trained, they used lots of bodyweight exercises (just like Wade says ), and they didn´t do Squats nor Bench Press. Instead, they did lots of overhead presses, like the Bent press and the military press. Pavel Tsatsouline talks about this in his books, but there´s lots of thing on the internet on how oldtime strongman trained. There´s even a book only about this subject.

Roid use became common in the 60's, so the classic look would have become less common after that.
However in momern times the early Steve Davis had that look ,Zane,Mawakky,perhaps Samir Bannot.
Vince Gironda was a coach of this look and spoke about things like lower thigh (above knee) to upper thigh proportion and lateral delt development.

I love you Steve Reeves.

Steve Reeves
Michelangelo’s concept of the perfectly formed man!

Reeves is the Greek ideal, and the western ideal, he is also a template and base design for the superhero look in comics, and used by animation studios, (such as Japanese manga, and animation)

Dr. Avard Fairbanks, a Guggenheim Fellow and one of the world's leading art figures (known as the world's greatest sculptor of President Lincoln as well as the Pony Express Monument) said:

"Steve Reeves is the epitome of a man bringing his physique into harmony with the universe he is a part of. He's the grandest example I have ever seen of Michelangelo's dream come true. It is unfortunate Steve Reeves was not living during the Renaissance period, for the masters would have worn their hands to the bone making statues from him."

In bodybuilding competition, the greatest champions not only know of his greatness, but speak his name in hallowed tones:

"Steve Reeves' physique is perfect."
- Serigo Oliva, Mr. Olympia

"A few days before the [Mr. America] contest we heard rumors about a man who had throngs of people following him along the Lake Michigan Beach front, and we couldn't imagine who could draw crowds by merely walking along the beach!"
-- George Eiferman, Mr. America

"'Immortal' is the least word used to describe Steve Reeves. His photographs are just fantastic. He symbolized the perfect physique, and he was a legend in his own time. He has been a great inspiration to many of us in the field of bodybuilding."
-- Lou Ferrigno, Mr. Universe

"'Beautiful' was not a word you usually use in describing a man, but in his case it applies."
- Bill Pearl, Mr. Universe

"The physique of the century."
- Reg Park, Mr. Universe

"The best looking, best built man God has ever created."
- Larry Scott, Mr. Olympia

"It was the Reeves movies more than anything else that inspired my training in the late 50's and early 60's" - Frank Zane, Mr. Olympia

"Michelangelo's concept of the perfectly formed man!"
- Vince Gironda

"He is a great man and has contributed much to the sport of bodybuilding … One of the best builds throughout the history of bodybuilding … Steve was a great inspiration to me."
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, Mr. Olympia

"I became interested in bodybuilding when I saw a muscle magazine with Steve Reeves' picture on the cover. I knew right then that was what I wanted to be."
-- Mike Mentzer, Mr. Universe.

The muscle magazines have likewise sung his praises over the decades to this day:

"The most admired, most looked up to, and most idolized bodybuilder of all."
-- Muscle Builder magazine

"The World's Best Built man"
- Ironman magazine

"Steve Reeves' phenomenal physique set new standards for bodybuilding … women still go bananas over him."
- Joe Weider, Muscle and Fitness magazine

"Mr. Everything…[he remains a] priceless inspiration to train and succeed in the wonderful world of bodybuilding."
- Muscle Mag International

Not much differnce then arnold tho. and Arnold was taller and bigger.

Reeves
Thighs: 27
210lbs

Arnold
thighs 28½"
competition weight was 235 lbs
I would say Grecian seems more "ideal"...but I guess it's relative. if you want good proportion then, it is, ideal size depends on your size and height.

I do like the look of Arnold's era they still adhered to the classical proportions which is why people will always look at the black & white photos of them & aspire to it(more so,Frank Zane.)
what do you guys think the 'perfect' body proportions are? Do you like steeve reeves or the grecian ideal, or do you think something else is more ideal?

I think guys that are too huge don't look good. Arnold kept classical proportions--and that's why he looked awesome, and that's why people aspire to look like him. The Bodybuilders in our day simply look freaky--it's not attractive. My question I guess is, what looks 'good'. Do 20" arms look good on a 5'8" guy? How about 22" arms on a 5'6" guy? I guess more than proportions I wonder what people think is 'ideal'.

That's pretty odd that they measure up about the same, I would say that arnold was too big. Although arnolds stage weight was 235 absolutely shredded and reeves stage weight would be like 195

That's pretty odd that they measure up about the same, I would say that arnold was too big. Although arnolds stage weight was 235 absolutely shredded and reeves stage weight would be like 195

Reeves stage weight was 210 -218.

Ive read that he didnt believe in bulking or cuting.
I dont think being cut was the look he went for and he was mostly the same leanness year round

Ive heard he only worked out for 3 months of the year tho. And maintained the same body measurements into his 70s.

When he made movies it was 195 - 185(directors back then didnt want him too big)

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/Reeves/Steve Reeves - He Knew What He Wanted.pdf

gallery_1_4_125375.jpg

1957 Steve Reeves Bulked Up

There is much homo in this thread. Stop admiring men and go to the "NSFW Hot Or Not" thread in order to detox.

Reeves stage weight was 210 -218.

Ive read that he didnt believe in bulking or cuting.
I dont think being cut was the look he went for and he was mostly the same leanness year round

Ive heard he only worked out for 3 months of the year tho. And maintained the same body measurements into his 70s.

When he made movies it was 195 - 185(directors back then didnt want him too big)

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/Reeves/Steve Reeves - He Knew What He Wanted.pdf

gallery_1_4_125375.jpg

1957 Steve Reeves Bulked Up

Yeah I know that was his stage weight, but he was not shredded for competition, always like 13% bodyfat. I'm talking if he was like 7% bodyfat like arnold was he would be 190

I'm going to revise my decision on perfection and say this pic of Wendler is pretty much ideal for me. No homo, naturally

LeanJimWEndler-450x600.jpg

Steve Reeves
Michelangelo’s concept of the perfectly formed man!

Reeves is the Greek ideal, and the western ideal, he is also a template and base design for the superhero look in comics, and used by animation studios, (such as Japanese manga, and animation)

Dr. Avard Fairbanks, a Guggenheim Fellow and one of the world's leading art figures (known as the world's greatest sculptor of President Lincoln as well as the Pony Express Monument) said:

"Steve Reeves is the epitome of a man bringing his physique into harmony with the universe he is a part of. He's the grandest example I have ever seen of Michelangelo's dream come true. It is unfortunate Steve Reeves was not living during the Renaissance period, for the masters would have worn their hands to the bone making statues from him."

In bodybuilding competition, the greatest champions not only know of his greatness, but speak his name in hallowed tones:

"Steve Reeves' physique is perfect."
- Serigo Oliva, Mr. Olympia

"A few days before the [Mr. America] contest we heard rumors about a man who had throngs of people following him along the Lake Michigan Beach front, and we couldn't imagine who could draw crowds by merely walking along the beach!"
-- George Eiferman, Mr. America

"'Immortal' is the least word used to describe Steve Reeves. His photographs are just fantastic. He symbolized the perfect physique, and he was a legend in his own time. He has been a great inspiration to many of us in the field of bodybuilding."
-- Lou Ferrigno, Mr. Universe

"'Beautiful' was not a word you usually use in describing a man, but in his case it applies."
- Bill Pearl, Mr. Universe

"The physique of the century."
- Reg Park, Mr. Universe

"The best looking, best built man God has ever created."
- Larry Scott, Mr. Olympia

"It was the Reeves movies more than anything else that inspired my training in the late 50's and early 60's" - Frank Zane, Mr. Olympia

"Michelangelo's concept of the perfectly formed man!"
- Vince Gironda

"He is a great man and has contributed much to the sport of bodybuilding … One of the best builds throughout the history of bodybuilding … Steve was a great inspiration to me."
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, Mr. Olympia

"I became interested in bodybuilding when I saw a muscle magazine with Steve Reeves' picture on the cover. I knew right then that was what I wanted to be."
-- Mike Mentzer, Mr. Universe.

The muscle magazines have likewise sung his praises over the decades to this day:

"The most admired, most looked up to, and most idolized bodybuilder of all."
-- Muscle Builder magazine

"The World's Best Built man"
- Ironman magazine

"Steve Reeves' phenomenal physique set new standards for bodybuilding … women still go bananas over him."
- Joe Weider, Muscle and Fitness magazine

"Mr. Everything…[he remains a] priceless inspiration to train and succeed in the wonderful world of bodybuilding."
- Muscle Mag International

Are you masturbating as you post in this thread?