• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Which muscle groups do you train together

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
As above what's muscles do you train together? And do you change mix it about about..
And why..is it something you read or does it just work for you...

Right now.
Chest / tricep
Back / traps
Shoulders / biceps
Quads/ hammie's

Works for me.

My 4 sessions a week go like this:

Bench/Lat Pull/Curls

Squat/Row/Calves

Bench/Face Pull/Curls

Deadlift/Row/Calves

Pretty weird split, I hit back in some form every single session, but I only press twice a week, and I only hit the lower body twice a week.

Each of my sessions are based around either Deads, Bench, Squat and OHP and have at least one full body or lower body movement each session:

Back/Bi's/Hamstrings/Glutes
Chest/Shoulder/Tri's/Quads
Quads/Hamstrings/Glutes/Back/Bis
Shoulders/Chest/Tri's/Quads

Plus some Calves and Abs/core thrown in here and there.

My actual program is similar to Neddy's: Chest+Calves / Back / Legs / Shoulders / Arms+abs.

However, I often can't make it 5 days so if I only have 4 days, it goes to chest/tri, back/bi, legs, shoulders and 3 days it would go to chest/shoulders/tri, back/bi, legs.

As for why.. well generally I do chest/tri and back/bi together because the arms are already warmed up and I find it easier on the joints (as less actual weight is required to hit failure - query whether this means less growth). The only thing I will switch up is whether to switch to chest/bi, back/tri.

That's what my first PT told me years ago and I've generally stuck with that program.

I generally don't do shoulders/bi's together because I've read that fatigued shoulders can lead to injury when you train biceps immediately afterwards.

Assuming you drop front raises from your shoulder work, I don't see why you can't do both separately in the one week.

I'll be changing to a full body routine for a while soon, something like this...

Monday - 10-15 rep working sets depending on the exercise
Wednesday - heavier day 6-8 rep working sets
Friday - 10-15 rep working sets

May also add an extra day for certain body parts as needed

Last edited:
Doing a modified starting strength currently, anywhere from 3-5 days, depending on how much skiing I do..

But my favourite routine is upper/lower, 2x each a week, 1 lower rep, 1 higher rep