• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Which diet should I do?

DanW

Hi Guys

My goal is to lose my body fat first, through strength training, then put on more muscle later. Love-handles suck!

I'm 100kg, 6"1. I think I could lose 15kg fat and be in a good position to build muscle after that.

I haven't trained for 3 years.

My program is the Mark Rippetoe starting strength:
3x5 squat
3x5 bench
1x5 dead
REST DAY
3x5 squat
3x5 mil press
3x5 row
Fall on the ground half dead..

I'm fine with the training and the sleep, but I REALLY struggle with diet. I am lazy as hell when it comes to preparing food and cooking, plus I have a busy job with travel. I also enjoy beer and burgers lol

So I'd like something fairly easy for the daytime meals in business hours that I can pack with little prep in work hours, like sandwiches...

Would any of Fadis meal plans suit my goal of losing fat while gaining strength?

Thanks in advance.

work out your rmr, work out the deficit you need to drop the amount of weight you want each week eg 0.5 to 1kg

log what you eat - app or website (doesn't take more than 5 min a day)
and keep to your target and with the exercise good weightloss should happen

I've found a target keto diet quite easy to stay on.
Helped me drop 9kg in jan.

I'm similar 102kg now and need to drop another 10kg

Bodybuilding.com - The TKD Diet: What Is It And Who Benefits?

I have been eating at about 10-20% below what I require and I've dropped 5kg since 1st Jan 2013. I try to keep the protein above 200g/day and I don't eat calorie dense shit to make it easier. I've maintained my strength too.

Thanks guys

Keto diet looks interesting too.

Can you point me to reliable info on RMR? I don't know what that is at this stage

Cheers

Hey Dan

Resting metabolic rate probably - eat the same for 2 weeks, if your weight doesn't change, you've found your maintenance level of calories, then adjust as per the advice above.

See how you go on Starting Strength, maybe do it for a while (see how it goes after say 3-4 months) and then build up to something a little more high volume (e.g. the beginner's program or search for "GCB Special" or posts by El Freako which will mention it).

Having seen a number of bigger guys lose weight, it's always good to see just how much base muscle they have underneath to carry the big frame. Lean up and then get huge (the right way) haha :D Good luck mate

Try any diet.

I have run:

Keto - Pretty rough for first week or so, also carb cravings like crazy! Will help you drop water mass, really fast though. Wouldn't recommend it long term IMO

Paleo - Pretty simple and I have been running a modified version for the past 3months, so I can have millk and protein powders, just following the same principals.

IIFYM - Probably the best if you want to lose weight. Just work out your macros (Carbs, Proteins, Fats) and then eat whatever you like as long as you fit your numbers with deficit. Super easy to track with MyFitnessPal on any smart phone and is really flexible.

Really? I'm scared of these kind of diets tried a fast before and had a really bad depressive mood... But if it works 14 days is not that long

I'm just fucking with you. Read about IIFYM its the only diet worth doing nothing extreme suit any kind of lifestyle.

I'm just fucking with you. Read about IIFYM its the only diet worth doing nothing extreme suit any kind of lifestyle.

Exactly, IIFYM is perfect especially for someone who's lazy about prepping meals(I'm with you there brother) If I'm feeling lazy/run out of meals I'll just take a few Peanut butter sambos on wholemeal for lunch and have a cup of tea with them.

Either that or a good habit to get into is on sunday night when you cook your dinner or with it just cook up lunch for the next 5 days, I normally either do a Chicken+whatever salad one week and a tuna, rice, vegie, cashew the next.

None of the above mentioned diets will work if you exceed your intake...

Step 1 - understand iifym
Step 2 - choose an eating approach that suits you (Keto,paleo,IF, or just make one up)
Step 3 - set your macros
Step 4 - aim to lose half kilo a week

A calorie deficit of 3500 cals a week will roughly equate to a half a kilo of fat loss...

Thanks I've just installed myfitnesspal on my phone and logged yesterday's gym, cardio and meals.

It estimated I should net 1700cals per day to achieve 2lbs lost per week.

I was able to achieve that yesterday by walking the dogs for an hour, doing my gym session and eating only 2 rice cakes and tuna for dinner (to make up for the crap I ate in the day)

So this will allow me to track my macros.

Now I think I like IIFYM due to flexibility, and the fact that I've started recording everything now means I'm less likely to eat crap because I am forced to actually acknowledge how bad it is when I record it.

I was hoping to track protein carbs and fat too but many of the foods don't have those figures, maybe I should just estimate them for each food that doesn't or enter them myself.

Thanks I've just installed myfitnesspal on my phone and logged yesterday's gym, cardio and meals.

It estimated I should net 1700cals per day to achieve 2lbs lost per week.

I was able to achieve that yesterday by walking the dogs for an hour, doing my gym session and eating only 2 rice cakes and tuna for dinner (to make up for the crap I ate in the day)

So this will allow me to track my macros.

Now I think I like IIFYM due to flexibility, and the fact that I've started recording everything now means I'm less likely to eat crap because I am forced to actually acknowledge how bad it is when I record it.

I was hoping to track protein carbs and fat too but many of the foods don't have those figures, maybe I should just estimate them for each food that doesn't or enter them myself.

Yep sounds like your on the right track...

The most important thing is to choose a sustainable approach...

It's all about eating in a slight calorie deficit for a couple of months...

A couple of additional pointers are...

1. Don't under eat... Running a large deficit will likely sacrifice lean mass... So aim for a slight cal deficit of around 500 cals a day...

2. You can bank cals during the week... Save 150 cals a day during the week allows you an extra 750 cals on the weekend...

3. Use Sunday as your balance day ... Count your total cals for the week... If you over eat Mon to Sat you will have to cut Sunday cals back to maintain your deficit.... If you under eat Mon to Sat you will need to eat more on Sunday...

4. Having a high protein intake is lean mass sparing while dieting... So consider this when you set your macros...

5. No real need to track fat and carbs... Accurate calorie counting is more important...

Good luck!!!

Thanks good tips

I'm leaning towards high protein and tend to have a scoop or two of whey isolate when I can.

Try any diet.

I have run:

Keto - Pretty rough for first week or so, also carb cravings like crazy! Will help you drop water mass, really fast though. Wouldn't recommend it long term IMO

Paleo - Pretty simple and I have been running a modified version for the past 3months, so I can have millk and protein powders, just following the same principals.

IIFYM - Probably the best if you want to lose weight. Just work out your macros (Carbs, Proteins, Fats) and then eat whatever you like as long as you fit your numbers with deficit. Super easy to track with MyFitnessPal on any smart phone and is really flexible.

keto can make you tired until your body adapts. and needs to be run for a longer period of time because it becomes most effective once glycogen stores are depleted. approx 2kg of weight will be lost from glycogen and water stores

IIFYM is probably the easiest to stick to if you like to snack

I personally like a very low fat diet as i need the enrgy from carbs for sport. I find it quite easy to stick to. I lost 5kg in 9 days on it. mind you i was on clen as well. strength went up as well

IIFYM and myfitnesspal is working well, I'm getting the hang of it slowly, reducing my trips to the pub as a result.

I find with lower calories it is harder to lift, so I'm not increasing weights much but at least the lifting will help me retain muscle. I hope I get used to the lower energy levels.