• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What's your favourite type of curl?

What's your favourite type of curl?

• Barbell Curl

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • EZ Bar Curl

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Dumbbell Curl (Alternating)

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Dumbbell Curl (Single Arm Non-Alternating)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Preacher Curl

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Concentration Curl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hammer Curl (Dumbbell)

• Hammer Curl (Tricep Bar)

• Incline dumbbell curl

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
Andy what's your take on incline curls. tried them before?

If you look at the barbell curl you will note that there is an 160 degree of rotation.
During the first 90 degrees of movement in a curl, for example, the direction of movement is constantly changing from horizontal to vertical, and the weight will thus seem to get heavier – but after 90 degrees of movement, the direction of movement starts changing from vertical to horizontal, and the weight will seem to grow lighter.

It's interesting to observe that the so called sticking point is where the arm is horizontal, there is very little or sometimes no resistance to the muscle in the contracted position or stretched position, which seem to be the most important areas for improved muscle strength and flexibility.

Changing the angle of the torso also changes the time that the muscle is placed under load, but because of the nature of the barbell you will always encounter changes in resistance throughout the movement.

If you look at the biceps you will note that the sole purpose of these muscles is to suppinate the hand, to prove my point; try flexing the bicep while your hand is in the "goose-neck" position, now suppinate the hand.

The other function of the bicep is to lift the arm up over the shoulder.

We know that the best exercise for muscle growth is where an exercise places the most resistance in the contracted and the stretched position of the muscle.

As far as I'm aware there is no such exercise for the bicep, for to achieve this you would need to lift the arm up over the shoulder under resistance.

To illustrate my point; clench your fist,, suppinate your fist, and flex your bicep, now lift your arm up over your head, now push down as if you are trying to scratch your back, and hold it there, flexed as long as you can.

Your biceps will cramp when you release and you will feel the effects of that for some time after, because it's rarely under load in that position.

Some believe the the preacher curl is an effective exercise, it would be more effective if the arm was positioned higher and instead of using a barbell you would use a cable.

I would say that if you where really interested in building muscular size of the bicep, then using a variety of differing exercise, would be a good start.

The biggest waste of money of all my home gym purchases has been the preacher curl attachment for my bench. Used it twice, hated it, now it collects dust.

Mainly I've done dumbbell alternating but recently started barbell curls based on Rips write-up in SS. He says to start the curl from same height as press/squat (can't remember which) and then lower it....but not all the way down, just short of full descent, to keep constant tension.

The barbell curl is an underrated exercise, purely because it maintains shoulder health, but it must be performed correctly.

I do like doing a set of barbell curls at the end of a workout whenever I can, i especially like to end the set with a few cheat rep's, where I use momentum to lift the barbell and very very slowly lower the barbell, repeat that a few times and your arms will thank you for it.

I voted barbell curls cause that's the only one I do, i'm not obsessed over bicep size so I just do a few barbell curls at the end of a normal workout.

Well i think i am in live with the preacher curl machine at my gym, it works my arms good.

Gotta try the incline curl sometime though

Pisses me off how this forum you got the bbuilders then the powerlifters. The powerlifters think the bodybuilders are all wrong, just letting everyone know bodybuilding and powerlifting are two different approaches.

No curling this n that, I do a split routine in a 5 - 8 rep range thats getting me results and I don't squat, bench and deadlift in the same session 3 times a week, you mad or you mad?

If your not mad, I do barbell and dumbell curls. Enjoy!

HaHa
Good point!

You don't hear BBers calling PLifters fat, hairy c**ts with shit calves.......................or do you?.........................I dont know.....................I get confused easily. :confused: