• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What is this machine?

Undercover

Kunce in training
Has anybody come across this machine?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352250340.925724.jpg

Saw one similar in a gym recently and asked around, people say it's a shrug mach, dead lift mach, saw people facing both ways and one guy loaded up 150kg and did some weird sudo stiff legged dead lift things ;-( looked rather painful.....

Can they be used for deads? Only considered trying coz of late all the 2-4 week summer crowds have returned and using the bars as fence posts ATM

Think it's called a Hammer Strength.

I tried it this morning, facing forward, loaded 140kg and did 5-6 reps (3 sets)
Was quite good, just didn't like the forced ROM but got the job done.

Im still a newbie with using the bar for deads so I don't really qualify to judge anyway.

Think it's called a Hammer Strength.

I tried it this morning, facing forward, loaded 140kg and did 5-6 reps (3 sets)
Was quite good, just didn't like the forced ROM but got the job done.

Im still a newbie with using the bar for deads so I don't really qualify to judge anyway.

Hammer strength is the brand im pretty sure. l dont really see too much use for it though... Im assuming you could shift more weight on that then with a 'conventional deadlift' using a bar/plates.

Hammer strength equipment was designed by Gary Jones.

They are leverage machines, the Placement of the resistance is designed to apply constant rotary resistance through the full range of movement.

Some pieces are excellent and the biomechanics of certain machines are really good.

Most of the hammer strength equipment was made specifically for the larger athlete, with a lot of input from Kim Wood.

The one pictured above is an extremely efficiant machine that works the larger muscles of the hip and thigh very nicely.

What most don't understand is that you need to stand facing out and when lifting one needs to move in a forward motion (picture a frog leaping) rather than directly up.
Which is evident by the angle of the lower handles.

The machine also enables one to complete the negative portion of the movement quite safely compared to the barbell.

But at the end of the day, it's an exercise in its own right.

It's also a great way to do lunges safely.

Also nice to finish off using the higher handles to shrug.

It's also critical to have hand placement correct.

When standing, your hands must be in line with the mid-line of the foot.
You should be able to put your hands in your pocket so to speak.

Can you please go into a bit more detail on this mate?

Safer than walking lunges with a barbell?

Do you just lunge using the top handles with some weight added on?

You place one leg resting on the bar at rear of the machine.

You use the lower handles as you would with doing the dead-lift movement.

Doing lunges with a barbell loaded heavily is outright silly, while your body fatigues, you begin to rely on the smaller deeper stabilizing muscles, instead of stabilizing they start moving, creating all sorts of complications.

Moving or squatting one leg at a time enables you to move deeper without adding stress to the lower back and knees.

Deep ATG where the back of the leg presses against the calve can create tremendous pressure on the knee.

I could go into more detail.

Thanks Goosey, for somebody starting out on Deads for the first time I found it quite good (in terms of being able to lift heavy quite safely and with control) I know it's still not ideal but will continue trying it till I get some proper training on the bar.

Thanks Goosey, for somebody starting out on Deads for the first time I found it quite good (in terms of being able to lift heavy quite safely and with control) I know it's still not ideal but will continue trying it till I get some proper training on the bar.

Don't confuse it with the dead-lift using a barbell.

These are two different exercises.

The difference is, and in terms of building lower body strength, the hammer version enables you to really allow the larger muscles to fatigue safely.

In other words don't use the two together, don't treat them the same.

You'll notice with most trainees that injury is mainly caused by the larger outer muscles expiring, the larger outer muscles do the work, work over the longer distance, the moment arms are longer, it's the job of the smaller flatter muscles close to the joints to maintain stability, as the larger muscles fatigue, the smaller muscles need to work harder, it then becomes there turn to start moving rather than to stabilize thus causing injury.

You got to be careful.

No point taken :) thanks.

It's quite difficult and hard to adjust to the correct grip and feet position like you said. Tried YouTube but that's a bit hit n miss. Also getting the right amount of knee bend is tough. To much bend and the legs do all the work I found. Tried to remain as stiff legged as safely could but got quite tough once over 130-140kg

I can really feel the lower back after using it (in a good way).

You'll notice with most trainees that injury is mainly caused by the larger outer muscles expiring, the larger outer muscles do the work, work over the longer distance, the moment arms are longer, it's the job of the smaller flatter muscles close to the joints to maintain stability, as the larger muscles fatigue, the smaller muscles need to work harder, it then becomes there turn to start moving rather than to stabilize thus causing injury.

This is also the reason why a 1RM is safer than a 10RM