• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What exercises/lifts do you consider to be a waste of time?

It could of been said but sureeely the tricep kickback where people stand there looking like their using ski poles?

anyone looking to buy QUEST PROTEIN bars use Code ZMP222 on iherb.com to get $10 off and cheap shipping!

I do them with cables, gives huge pump compared to most other movements I do. They can work well with db's, just go to turn the wrist at the end of the movement and hold for a second or so, which most people don't do.

It could of been said but sureeely the tricep kickback where people stand there looking like their using ski poles?

Yes, I've always thought that.

I enjoy regular tricep kick backs where you have a hand and knee on the bench. But doing them standing while using enough momentum to jerk off the guy behind you just seems pointless.

Last edited:
I prefer standing DB skullcrushers, with the arm vertical as the starting position and then bending at the elbow until the DB is well past the back of the head. If the upper arm remains vertical throughout and the triceps are flexed hard to get full ROM, I get a nice pump straight after and memorable DOMS the next day to pat myself on the back with.

Yeah, well any movement where there is only minimal resistance in a small range of the movement is useless for building flexibility and strength through the muscles complete ROM.

The question has always been; does working a muscle through a limited range of move even (as stated above) effectively biuld the whole strength of a targeted muscle?

I prefer standing DB skullcrushers, with the arm vertical as the starting position and then bending at the elbow until the DB is well past the back of the head. If the upper arm remains vertical throughout and the triceps are flexed hard to get full ROM, I get a nice pump straight after and memorable DOMS the next day to pat myself on the back with.

The french press straight away places the tricep in a stretched posistion which is the goal in any exercise.
It's tricky there's 3 heads of the tricep one that crosses over the shoulder benefits most with the french press.

the other exercise where you do a push down is a good exercise for the other two.
but problems arise, you need a machine that allows you to support the arm positioned just past the torso and supports on the shoulder to prevent movement.

when performing a push down on cables, using rope is the best as it allows for full contraction.

so, if one is serious about building tricep strength and shoulder health one one would be wise to do both now and again.

Last edited:
Definately not a waste, very good to do with a light weight for high reps after benching to stretch the pecs.
Why do you need to stretch the pecs after benching?
Do you do high rep stretching stuff for quads after squatting or high rep stretching stuff for shoulders after pressing?

Why do you need to stretch the pecs after benching?
Do you do high rep stretching stuff for quads after squatting or high rep stretching stuff for shoulders after pressing?
When I used to bench I found flys helped keep my shoulders healthy. I should rephrase as it's not really the pecs but I found it helped keep my shoulders lose as I'm tight where the pec/shoulder connects. As a pec stretch I agree it's probably useless but for where the pec/shoulder connects I find it helps heaps. I dont really do them anymore as I cant bench anymore due to busting my hand in a motorbike accident.

Just like I have very limited flexibility in my ankles/calves, ive just started doing calf raises and I'm finding it helpful for increasing my flexibility in the ankle and calf.

I use band pullaparts/face pulls to keep my shoulders healthy and try to keep the muscles where they are supposed to be.

I guess if you are healthy it wouldn't matter but between being born with mild spastic cerebral palsy and being inactive most of my life ive been left with afew problems. Although I did have alot of rehab when I was younger I was left with lots of tightness everywhere, muscle imbalances galore and a body that doesnt move 100% correctly. Ive been very lucky though as I ended up pretty normal.

I foam roll which I think does nothing but it's helpful to digging into some of the knots in my back and legs. I do some light stretching but it seems everything I try and stretch more I end up getting injured. Maybe I'm just retarded but it seems using certain exercises helps me the most for increasing my flexibility/losening over stretching and mobility stuff.

Last edited:
When I used to bench I found flys helped keep my shoulders healthy. I should rephrase as it's not really the pecs but I found it helped keep my shoulders lose as I'm tight where the pec/shoulder connects. As a pec stretch I agree it's probably useless but for where the pec/shoulder connects I find it helps heaps. I dont really do them anymore as I cant bench anymore due to busting my hand in a motorbike accident.

Just like I have very limited flexibility in my ankles/calves, ive just started doing calf raises and I'm finding it helpful for increasing my flexibility in the ankle and calf.

I use band pullaparts/face pulls to keep my shoulders healthy and try to keep the muscles where they are supposed to be.

I guess if you are healthy it wouldn't matter but between being born with mild spastic cerebral palsy and being inactive most of my life ive been left with afew problems. Although I did have alot of rehab when I was younger I was left with lots of tightness everywhere, muscle imbalances galore and a body that doesnt move 100% correctly. Ive been very lucky though as I ended up pretty normal.

I foam roll which I think does nothing but it's helpful to digging into some of the knots in my back and legs. I do some light stretching but it seems everything I try and stretch more I end up getting injured. Maybe I'm just retarded but it seems using certain exercises helps me the most for increasing my flexibility/losening over stretching and mobility stuff.

Yesterday was the first time in donkeysss i did high rep chest cable flys, gave them a real good stretch and safe to say today there quite sore, shoulders didnt seem to take as much as a beating as i thought, ive just added these back in so it will be interesting to see if i get some some of hypertrophy response from these bad boys

squat deadlift and bench are a waste of time

I know your saying this to ruffle some feathers as @bazza20 got you in yoir thread beef man

anyone looking to buy QUEST PROTEIN bars use Code ZMP222 on iherb.com to get $10 off and cheap shipping!

I know your saying this to ruffle some feathers as @bazza20 got you in yoir thread beef man

He said it before my post anyway.

Not going to ruffle my feathers. I agree in some situations they are a waste.

He said it before my post anyway.

Not going to ruffle my feathers. I agree in some situations they are a waste.

Howw can they be a waste? Its literally the compeditive markers in most sports e.g PL olympic lifting even with benching increase pressing, american football they test the bench and is a "benchmark" not to mention carry over strength to things like strongman with deadlifts and pulling movements of squatting to pick up atlas stones also having back strength e.g deadlift to extend up, How can these be a waste of time when they carry over to so many other things?

Howw can they be a waste? Its literally the compeditive markers in most sports e.g PL olympic lifting even with benching increase pressing, american football they test the bench and is a "benchmark" not to mention carry over strength to things like strongman with deadlifts and pulling movements of squatting to pick up atlas stones also having back strength e.g deadlift to extend up, How can these be a waste of time when they carry over to so many other things?

Depends on the situation.

Every situation is different.

Depends on the situation.

Every situation is different.

Please name a situation that doesnt use these one of these core lifts, and dont say walking or some gay shit like that

Please name a situation that doesnt use these one of these core lifts, and dont say walking or some gay shit like that

Someone in a sport like shooting for example.

The Aussie track cycling team said the single leg press worked much better than the squat

Most people will get greater improvements in sports if they spend more time developing the skill of the sport rather than lifting.

Injuries can make some lifts not only a waste of time but dangerous.

A footy player who can squat and dead 200+ but can't get the ball needs to work on skills and and time squatting is a fucking waste.

Even soccer. Are the best player strong at the big 3 or extremely skillful soccer players. Most look like the would fall over in a strong wind and do.

You only have limited time and recovery to train. For a lot of sports outside the strength and power sports what you squat bench and dead won't make a scrap of fucking difference.

Even my own situation. Any time spent on the powerlift a aren't going to help me play footy any better at all. I do them because I enjoy it.

Like I said every situation is different.

Someone in a sport like shooting for example.

The Aussie track cycling team said the single leg press worked much better than the squat

Most people will get greater improvements in sports if they spend more time developing the skill of the sport rather than lifting.

Injuries can make some lifts not only a waste of time but dangerous.

A footy player who can squat and dead 200+ but can't get the ball needs to work on skills and and time squatting is a fucking waste.

Even soccer. Are the best player strong at the big 3 or extremely skillful soccer players. Most look like the would fall over in a strong wind and do.

You only have limited time and recovery to train. For a lot of sports outside the strength and power sports what you squat bench and dead won't make a scrap of fucking difference.

Even my own situation. Any time spent on the powerlift a aren't going to help me play footy any better at all. I do them because I enjoy it.

Like I said every situation is different.

Sorry mate gonna have to agree to disagree is very much a minority that would not use these core lifts, and also your only talking maximal strength, you can add in speed and endurance work, where is this where the aussies said that? Maybe single leg squats too but its just another version of a sqaut, of course you have to develop your skill being a good squatter aint gonna make me catch a ball any better, but if I added in band resisted squats or speed squats maybe I just might be able to jump that little bit higher? As I said it doesnt always have to resort back to strength

I think for most sports, a reliance or focus on three basic lifts is probably a bit silly.

There are examples where top sports people have big benches or big squats, but there are also many others that care very little about such lifts.

Key for sport, be specific for strength training.

When I ran my fastest, never went near a squat for many months.

Obviously for lifters, squats are more critical. Bread and butter for Olympic lifters.

Also, as bazza suggests, if you don't have good skill levels, you can never utilise your strength fully.

Last edited:
Sorry mate gonna have to agree to disagree is very much a minority that would not use these core lifts, and also your only talking maximal strength, you can add in speed and endurance work, where is this where the aussies said that? Maybe single leg squats too but its just another version of a sqaut, of course you have to develop your skill being a good squatter aint gonna make me catch a ball any better, but if I added in band resisted squats or speed squats maybe I just might be able to jump that little bit higher? As I said it doesnt always have to resort back to strength

If you seriously believe those lifts should be used in every situation you have gotta broaden your thinking more. No one lift is appropriate for every situation.

If this was the case the coaches that prescribe s/b/d would be dominating every sport. They don't and a lot of top athletes don't do any of them.

The powerlifts while good are just lifts. They are nothing magic. There benefit depends on the situation

If you are after power and speed I would say throws, jumps and sprinting will do a lot more than any amount of speed squats and banded squats anyway.

Last edited:
I think for most sports, a reliance or focus on three basic lifts is probably a bit silly.

There are examples where top sports people have big benches or big squats, but there are also many others that care very little about such lifts.

Key for sport, be specific for strength training.

When I ran my fastest, never went near a squat for many months.

Obviously for lifters, squats are more critical.

Exactly.

Each person and situation is deferent.