• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Back today, I've been avoiding deadlifts cos I'm weak, and all the time setting up....but phuck it, going to get em up there.... So 5 sets of 5, 100kg for 2, 120kg for 3. I'm happy with that [emoji4]
Setting up?
Surely the easiest one?

Quads/tris. Tried some front squats today; what I learned was that my wrists aren't as flexible as I thought. Today was just a grind in general, just felt tired and CBF. I should just have picked a couple of exercises for each group and had a short and sharp one, but managed to push through. Weights and volume were actually good but took much longer than it should have. Hopefully tomorrow's a bit better. Haven't had a week off for at least four months so if things don't pick up I think I might.

Quads/tris. Tried some front squats today; what I learned was that my wrists aren't as flexible as I thought. Today was just a grind in general, just felt tired and CBF. I should just have picked a couple of exercises for each group and had a short and sharp one, but managed to push through. Weights and volume were actually good but took much longer than it should have. Hopefully tomorrow's a bit better. Haven't had a week off for at least four months so if things don't pick up I think I might.
You dont have a set program?
In 4 months youve had no deload or anything?

You dont have a set program?
In 4 months youve had no deload or anything?

I do have a program I follow, but not in the traditional PL sense because I'm not concerned with peaking strength at a particular time. I would normally have a deload week (which is usually a week off totally) every 12 odd weeks and start a new split, but I didn't have a break between changes last time and have felt fine. I did drop weights on several exercises by 10-15% after the 'grind' day above but overall volume actually increased. Felt fine though. I think because my current routine is less taxing than the previous one it just feels easier. Volume is actually higher, but the duration of the workouts is reduced because I'm doing an extra day and tweaked a couple of things. My bench has stagnated over the past couple of weeks so I'll drop the weight increase reps and work back up. This seems to work for me, but if I'm not feeling it or start to feel too tired etc I will have a week off as and when required.

I am quite interested in the theory behind PL programming, I think it could be quite useful in avoiding plateaus and increasing strength in general. I have suggested before that someone should start a 'programming for dummies' thread, but explain the theory behind it don't just be purely prescriptive. I do have a couple of books on the subject but have only perused them at this stage.

I do have a program I follow, but not in the traditional PL sense because I'm not concerned with peaking strength at a particular time. I would normally have a deload week (which is usually a week off totally) every 12 odd weeks and start a new split, but I didn't have a break between changes last time and have felt fine. I did drop weights on several exercises by 10-15% after the 'grind' day above but overall volume actually increased. Felt fine though. I think because my current routine is less taxing than the previous one it just feels easier. Volume is actually higher, but the duration of the workouts is reduced because I'm doing an extra day and tweaked a couple of things. My bench has stagnated over the past couple of weeks so I'll drop the weight increase reps and work back up. This seems to work for me, but if I'm not feeling it or start to feel too tired etc I will have a week off as and when required.

I am quite interested in the theory behind PL programming, I think it could be quite useful in avoiding plateaus and increasing strength in general. I have suggested before that someone should start a 'programming for dummies' thread, but explain the theory behind it don't just be purely prescriptive. I do have a couple of books on the subject but have only perused them at this stage.
Yeah cool. I knew you more bb focusses etc just wondered.
Even for BB a program is a great tool. Infact the handful of natty bb competitors i know all use a very structured and periodized program.

Ill start a thread eventually. Its a thread thats needed for anyone new coming to ausbb looking for stuff. Providing it doesnt get trolled to shit. Perhaps the forums gods will allow me to moderate it. [emoji14]

Yeah cool. I knew you more bb focusses etc just wondered.
Even for BB a program is a great tool. Infact the handful of natty bb competitors i know all use a very structured and periodized program.

Ill start a thread eventually. Its a thread thats needed for anyone new coming to ausbb looking for stuff. Providing it doesnt get trolled to shit. Perhaps the forums gods will allow me to moderate it. [emoji14]

I think there is a lot of crossover between the two and therefore a lot of value in the methods PL uses from my perspective. TBH I probably use some similar methods but have ended up there myself through trial and error. I am interested in the periodisation methods you use and the relationship between weight and reps and how they are scheduled to increase weight on a specific lift. I've got Zatsiorsky's book but haven't got stuck into it as yet.

I think that would be a valuable thread and should be stickied if created. I'm sure mods would ensure that irrelevant banter is removed and questions asked in the thread could be put into a more user friendly Q and A format for those looking for information, rather than having to read through 20 pages of posts...hey [MENTION=895]Shrek[/MENTION]; or give the thread to someone who will... ^