• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Using anabolic steroids harms your health and social image

Head an explanation of this today. The danger of the drugs were determined by how close the recreational dosage is to the lethal dose.

Nothing to do with how addictive or damage to yourself while using. It's not really fair though because it is much harder to drink a few liters of vodka to kill yourself than it is to inject a bit to much heroin and kill yourself. Even though the lethal dose of alcohol is closer.
What do you mean by the lethal dose of alcohol is closer Barry? Just not sure about the word "closer", after what you've mentioned re the vodka. Thanks.

What do you mean by the lethal dose of alcohol is closer Barry? Just not sure about the word "closer", after what you've mentioned re the vodka. Thanks.

The average recreational dosage is closer, percentage wise to the lethal dosage.

Eg 1g recreational dosage, 2g is lethal for drug A is worse than drug B that is 100g recreational dose and 1000g is the lethal dosage.

But this doesn't taken into account many of other factors that make a drug dangerous.

My point regarding vodka is while alcohol may be more harmful according to this study is it harder to overdose on this compared to some other drugs due to the way you take it.

Last edited:
The average recreational dosage is closer, percentage wise to the lethal dosage.

Eg 1g recreational dosage, 2g is lethal for drug A is worse than drug B that is 100g recreational dose and 1000g is the lethal dosage.

But this doesn't taken into account many of other factors that make a drug dangerous.

My point regarding vodka is while alcohol may be more harmful according to this study is it harder to overdose on this compared to some other drugs due to the way you take it.
Great, thank you for the clarification mate.

Please note that I'm not interested in "hey I'm right and you're wrong" type of a discussion. I'm always happy to be persuaded to a point of view that differs from my own, granted some sort of evidence is provided. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the subject FR.

The only evidence I have is anecdotal. In certain (growing) circles. Drug use is normal.

Fair enough "cultural norm" is probably a stretch but if anywhere is accepting of recreational drug use, it's Australia.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...orld-drug-report/story-fni0cx12-1226979809971

I think the main difference between AAS and alcohol and the reason that alcohol is more dangerous than AAS use is where the harm is caused.

In steroid users, if there is serious harm, something that isn't shown by the evidence, its harm to the user only. In alcohol use the harm is usually to both the user, other people and the community. Another very important difference is there is no evidence to suggest that steroids are addictive, and stopping steroids have no serious permanent withdrawal symptoms. Alcohol has been legitimately shown to be extremely addictive to some individuals and even after cessation of use the person often needs to fight the urge to go back, months, years or decades later.

I think the main difference between AAS and alcohol and the reason that alcohol is more dangerous than AAS use is where the harm is caused.

In steroid users, if there is serious harm, something that isn't shown by the evidence, its harm to the user only. In alcohol use the harm is usually to both the user, other people and the community. Another very important difference is there is no evidence to suggest that steroids are addictive, and stopping steroids have no serious permanent withdrawal symptoms. Alcohol has been legitimately shown to be extremely addictive to some individuals and even after cessation of use the person often needs to fight the urge to go back, months, years or decades later.

My experience tells me otherwise on certain points you've raised above. Some wives and girlfriend (and other members of the public) do suffer the consequences of a roid rage due to some users. Dependency with some is more of a psychological nature as they crave that easily pumped muscle feel and the quick strength acquired due to holding a larger volume of water within their muscle cells.

Driving is another problem with some. The alcohol blinded person may cross over your lane and kill you, but the steroid user may simply flip and give chase, because of the way you've looked at him or for crossing over into his lane without signaling. Some people would do that without the use of anabolic steroids, but these are usually young with plenty of DHT running through their veins.,...which they obviously can not handle too well and end up losing control of their actions.

Last edited:
Roid rage is a weird one
I wouldn't call it rage, implies psychosis
But I do get pissed off easier or rather bite back harder

I have never been angry or annoyed at a girl though. I had one girl afraid to speak her mind around me though due to fear because I took steroids and it kinda fucked with me a lot knowing I had that affect on someone

Roid rage is a weird one
I wouldn't call it rage, implies psychosis
But I do get pissed off easier or rather bite back harder

I have never been angry or annoyed at a girl though. I had one girl afraid to speak her mind around me though due to fear because I took steroids and it kinda fucked with me a lot knowing I had that affect on someone
Okay it's not roid rage, what would you call it then: steroid derived irritability (short fuse), which would easily lead to anger, which moves us back to square one? That girl was scared for a good reason Oni.., it's called steroid derived violence, or uncontrolled (or irrational) behaviour!

That's when the wrong deed is done and is quickly followed by: "oh oh I'm so sorry forgive me, I don't know what came over me, I just don't feel myself"! Which according to doctors is exactly 100% correct. Because once you take this most powerful hormones, their influence on your cells is felt throughout your body, your mind/thought process/behaviour/action included. There's no escaping that fact. Some are affected more than others, and some can consciously control themselves (based on their experience and full awareness of the situation) than others can.

Last edited:
My experience tells me otherwise on certain points you've raised above. Some wives and girlfriend (and other members of the public) do suffer the consequences of a roid rage due to some users. Dependency with some is more of a psychological nature as they crave that easily pumped muscle feel and the quick strength acquired due to holding a larger volume of water within their muscle cells.

Driving is another problem with some. The alcohol blinded person may cross over your lane and kill you, but the steroid user may simply flip and give chase, because of the way you've looked at him or for crossing over into his lane without signaling. Some people would do that without the use of anabolic steroids, but these are usually young with plenty of DHT running through their veins.,...which they obviously can not handle too well and end up losing control of their actions.
I believe the stats are like 60% of women and 40% of men have been physically assaulted by a partner. There is no evidence to suggest that people using steroids are more likely to assault their partners. The issue of violence against others due to steroids IMO stems from the unfortunate and undeserved reputation that has been propagated by the media when someone using steroids assaults somebody seriously. Its a bias that excites the media because the headline "ROID RAGE MURDER" is much better at selling news than "Husband kills partner".

Another factor that comes into play is law and the responsibility of the offender and the obligation of his lawyer. Any decent lawyer when finding out a person seriously assaulted or killed their partner while using steroids will jump on the "it was the steroids!" argument. Having steroids in your system while committing a violent crime can cause a judge or jury to consider the "rage" aspect. If "rage" or psychosis is involved it can significantly reduce or even excuse violent crime, its a mitigating circumstance.

That lawyer might deliberately try to get the jury or judge to focus on the steroid use ignoring the history of violent abuse that was occurring prior to AAS. So rather than steroids being the key here, they're really just the scapegoat for the persons ongoing violent behavior, an excuse, that works because the public is uneducated on the effects of steroids and so called "rage".

As for addiction to steroids there isn't any evidence they can be addictive. I believe its more likely the person who is psychologically addicted to them has an underlying mental condition. There are people who are psychologically addicted to exercise to the point they damage their health and safety yet I don't think anyone could suggest exercise is addictive in a harmful way. Its the underlying issues the person has that makes them abuse exercise.

Posted this a while ago - Harms: there is little recorded evidence that steroids are a significant public health concern in Australia.
Overall reported levels of side effects and harms are considered low, especially given the high doses of steroids typically consumed.2

Also posted a bunch of scientific studies which clearly show "aggressive response to increases with AAS use" but "no evidence of the inability to distinguish between right or wrong or pyschosis".

It was under AAS/PED Misconceptions topic.

Okay it's not roid rage, what would you call it then: steroid derived irritability (short fuse), which would easily lead to anger, which moves us back to square one? That girl was scared for a good reason Oni.., it's called steroid derived violence, or uncontrolled (or irrational) behaviour!

That's when the wrong deed is done and is quickly followed by: "oh oh I'm so sorry forgive me, I don't know what came over me, I just don't feel myself"! Which according to doctors is exactly 100% correct. Because once you take this most powerful hormones, their influence on your cells is felt throughout your body, your mind/thought process/behaviour/action included. There's no escaping that fact. Some are affected more than others, and some can consciously control themselves (based on their experience and full awareness of the situation) than others can.

That doesn't happen with steroid use though. It's either there or it isn't
Blaming something on hormones is a cop out, it's always 100% you

Zero evidence that androgens cause psychosis
Zero evidence to support the hypothesis of roid rage
Didn't mention anything about psychosis, but after 35 years in the game, I've seen my fare share of roid rage, and that type of evidence is convincing enough for me. Granted others may be waiting for some scientific study to scrutinise (and that's fair enough), however for me, I'm convinced based on empirical evidence (which obviously some don't believe in). I accept and fully respect that.

I havent seen any, so people like me would like to see some evidence. But then again numbers can be told to show anything

Didn't mention anything about psychosis, but after 35 years in the game, I've seen my fare share of roid rage, and that type of evidence is convincing enough for me. Granted others may be waiting for some scientific study to scrutinise (and that's fair enough), however for me, I'm convinced based on empirical evidence (which obviously some don't believe in). I accept and fully respect that.

But rage is psychosis

But rage is psychosis

Semantics
For the the sake of the argument I think he's defining rage as a tantrum, or uncontrollable anger :rolleyes:

i know now little about this stuff, but isn't it the same for a bloke that can't control his alcohol?

i know cops would rather not want to have to deal with a drunk, as opposed to a joint smoker, hell, the druggie just wants to be left in peace with their bag of chips.

I think when you have elevated hormones (of any kind) this will result in a different state of mind, reactions etc - of course elevated testosterone is going to come with maybe the possibly of having abit of a "shorter fuse" and negative effects on mindset and how a person reacts to things. Of course though elevated test levels can totally change someones life in a positive manner - and allow them to have a much positive/driven attitude towards life, training etc - so it does come down to the person and it does come down to the old use V abuse when it comes to drugs.....

I do believe in "roid rage" but I think it is a elevated reaction to someone who already has anger issues or is simply an angry person/has a short fuse.