• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Unbalanced pectoral Strength

K

Klogic

For awhile now well a few months I have been hitting the gym on a regular basis and I've found that my left pectoral muscle is lagging behind , it cant handle as much as the right one.
What can i do to balance them out?
Thank you

Give it time, it will catch up.
It will eventually grow stronger and bigger to match the other side.

Use dumbbells instead of a barbell.

Use dumbbells as when you use a bar you distribute the weight throughout the bar so the stronger muscle helps out. Where as when you use dumbbells, the weight is equal weight on each hand so the weaker has to develop.

You need to be consistent

The weak side rule is simple:
  1. Use unilateral movements. Unilateral means one-sided. If it's your arm, do one-armed curls rather than using both arms. If it's your back, like me, do one-armed rows or one-armed lat pull-downs so you can focus on one side at a time.
  2. Always train the weak side first. There are two reasons for this. First, you want to assess the strength of the weakest side so you can adjust the strong side. Second, your first muscle worked is what is prioritized in the workout — it receives the most energy and attention.
  3. Never do more with the strong side than the weak side can handle. This is the heart of the rule. Basically, if you can only handle 10 curls at 20 pounds on the weak side, this is ALL you do on the strong side! Work the weak side to failure, if that is your routine, but always use the same weight with the strong side and stop at the same number of reps that your weak side could handle. This allows the weak side to be the side that is stressed the most and grows to "catch up" with the strong side. Don't worry, you won't lose major muscle mass on the strong side — it receives enough stimulation to maintain while the weaker side is catching up!