• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Triceps

after a good warmup for the tri's you want to pyramid scull crushers with ez curl bar, thumbs over not under, inner grip. strict form, maybe warmup with rope and some close grip bench to get the body thinking about lifting heavy.

use the scull crushers to go heavy, then you can isolate with > 15 rep sets, high intensity on cables and ropes and v pushdowns etc. minimal rest on the isolations, its all about the burn. lots of reps, minimal rest, even superset the isolations.

tri's are prob my best bodypart. very visible insertions even in a bi pose.

2/3rds of your upper arm is tri's, they deserve more respect than bi's!

I am about 90% sure that curls do fuck all for my biceps currently and that they grow whenever my triceps get bigger. Plus big triceps and small biceps still looks cool as fuck

Yeah I was deadlifting every single day + lats and abs first thing in the morning
Then 6 days a week I'd add in a PM session, often front squats or deadlifts plus more lats and abs

Had extreme lethargy and pissed brown a few times, it was time to deload for the meet before I could push it really far though

don't know about "pump" but for biulding the size and strength of the tricep i think the press, or anything with the arms up in the air over your head is going make sure they recieve a good a good workout.

A set of french presses prior to the press ensure they are thoroughly worked, but to do that you'd need to ligthen the load a tad.

dips are good, very good.

On biceps...

I also believe if you spend time working a muscle you must spend as much time working the antagonist

I find I need a set or two of high reps (25-30) to really get them pumped. I'll normally do 2 high rep sets right at the end of training them but you need enough weight that they're burning from around the 15 rep mark. I don't think this is right for building size/strength though, which is why I only do a couple at the end. All other sets will be lower reps

don't know about "pump" but for biulding the size and strength of the tricep i think the press, or anything with the arms up in the air over your head is going make sure they recieve a good a good workout.

A set of french presses prior to the press ensure they are thoroughly worked, but to do that you'd need to ligthen the load a tad.

dips are good, very good.

Yes, heavy pressing is needed for the triceps. But everyone knows this anyway really. So this is just about getting the best pump :D

I find the exercise I get the best pump with, that is the exercise that gives the best results in hypertrophy. So a sequence of exercises that gives the best pump. Provided there is some heavy lifting done beforehand to stimulate growth

Yeah I was deadlifting every single day + lats and abs first thing in the morning
Then 6 days a week I'd add in a PM session, often front squats or deadlifts plus more lats and abs

Had extreme lethargy and pissed brown a few times, it was time to deload for the meet before I could push it really far though

Hrrmm, doesn't sound like rhabdo to me...pissing brown a few times maybe, but extreme lethargy doesn't fit. People seem pretty keen to throw the rhabdo word around these days to try and sound cool

100% of the people I know that have been diagnosed with rhabdo have ended up in hospital

Yes, heavy pressing is needed for the triceps. But everyone knows this anyway really. So this is just about getting the best pump :D

I find the exercise I get the best pump with, that is the exercise that gives the best results in hypertrophy. So a sequence of exercises that gives the best pump. Provided there is some heavy lifting done beforehand to stimulate growth

Next time you specifically train your triceps after heavy pressing throw in a stretch emphasis exercise, skullcrushers (french press) or overhead extension with a heavy dumbell (8-10) reps or so, then do your exercise to focus on pump (15 - 20+).

Heavy compound > stretch > pump.

Although this wont work too effectively on a high volume pressing routine as the triceps will take some time to recover.

Next time you specifically train your triceps after heavy pressing throw in a stretch emphasis exercise, skullcrushers (french press) or overhead extension with a heavy dumbell (8-10) reps or so, then do your exercise to focus on pump (15 - 20+).

Heavy compound > stretch > pump.

Although this wont work too effectively on a high volume pressing routine as the triceps will take some time to recover.

Yes, this is generally the order of things. I bench every session and it's followed up by some sort of triceps extension. My "assistance" is done for rehabilitation of the muscles first and foremost so always pick exercises that stretch the target muscle. Pec flies, dips, rolling dumbbells, incline skullcrushers behind the head, good mornings, roman chair sit-ups

My triceps have exploded recently, every upper session ends with a close grip half bench movement (whether pin presses or board presses), tricep extensions off the floor and deloaded after each rep, then a pressdown/pushup movement for the deepest burn.

Hopefully it carries over to strength.

Yes, this is generally the order of things. I bench every session and it's followed up by some sort of triceps extension. My "assistance" is done for rehabilitation of the muscles first and foremost so always pick exercises that stretch the target muscle. Pec flies, dips, rolling dumbbells, incline skullcrushers behind the head, good mornings, roman chair sit-ups

Not having a crack but how
Can someone who squats and deadlift so much bench so little? Well little for PL anyway

Can someone who squats and deadlift so much bench so little? Well little for PL anyway

It appears he's working on it, by this thread.

Some people dont have the structure to excel in certain exercises.
I suspect he is strong (tricep, delts and such) but his leverages and the distance he needs to move the weight are the issue.

But i don't beleive the significance of muscular pumping is the goal.

A person new to weight training will experience this initially, after time
I think any form of pumping goes unoticed in the seasoned trainer.

Last edited:

I've repeated this a lot but it boils down to not enough muscle mass in the chest and triceps
I am 70kg, why would I have a big bench. It's improved a lot recently. I should get 120kg very soon

Plus it would be unfair on you guys if I was a great bencher as well :p

What distance? 0ni is what 5'9? He doesnt have long levers

It's the combination of a short torso (limits muscle mass somewhat compared to the same development over a long torso), short humerus (not long enough to hold considerable mass in the triceps) and long forearms (triceps need to work harder than usual)

But that's not really an excuse anyway. It's just what I was born with and what I have to deal with. I am not suited to squatting either but still mange to put up decent weights. But basically I just need to bro it up. Neurological efficiency is all well and good when you have a considerable amount of muscle mass but trying to develop it when you don't have a good base of muscle mass is fucking stupid. I'll post my back at some point, a proper lat spread- that is why my deadlift is good lol

What distance? 0ni is what 5'9? He doesnt have long levers

for the purpose of moving the bar in the bench press and all things being equal a person with short arms, barrel chest and narrow shoulders will have an advantage in powerlifting.
simple mechanics