• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training Routines

barnsey

hey guys im new to the site, this is a long thread so im sorry in advanced,
anyway im 18 ive been traning for just over a year now and im kind of stuck. im just over 6ft and pushing 76kg's tall and lanky haha
i got a few questions to ask as ive kind of hit a wall

firstly- since ive started ive been working out like this or at least very similar
monday-chest, tri's
tuesday-back, bi's
wednesday-legs,shoulders
thursday- chest, tri's
friday-back, bi's

but than upto a few months ago we changed to doing each muscle once a week rather than 2 like i mentioned
eg
monday-chest,tri
tuesday-back, bi
thursday-legs,core
friday-shoulders,traps

our sets were
1x10/12 light
1x8 modertley heavy
2x6 heavy as possible
and usuly 3 or so exersizes per muscle

now my questions are
i cant seem to build up anymore than i am cant put on weight or size and at first i noticed i went up weights fast but now im almost going backwards!!! :eek:. i change my exersices around sometimes and bring in new ones too
would i be better off doing fullbody routien for say week A than my routien i got now for week B? or just stick with one or the other?
i cant seem for the life of me put anything onto my arms more so then the rest of me.
they lack everywhere espically thinkness in both bi's and tri's, im pretty tall and thin....lanky
also would i be better off doing a week of strength traning in bettween my traning i do now?
my diet isnt to bad but im picking it up more now as i know its important
sorry if its posted elese i have been doing my reasearch.
cheers beau

Be warned you're not going to like this.

Its clear youve done some reading but what you've identified for your use is a traditional 'bodybuilding split' which breaks the body into parts that are trained each day. I could go into a lot of detail on how its a crap way to train and will either lead to under stimulus or overtraining, but its best answered with this simple question:
- are you a competitive bodybuilder whos focusing on certain areas for a contest?

If the answer is 'no' then you need to change your strategy.

Think about this for a minute - excluding the odd genetic-freak-midget in the bejing olympics how many little guys do you know who can lift a lot of weight? my guess is not many. Hypertrophy is primarily your body's response to increased stimulus - that is, more weight on the bar.

A better style of training at this point would be to train your whole body everyday, 3 times a week and use compounds (eg a squat, a press of some kind and a pull from the floor). Try to squat 140, bench 100 and deadlift 180 - you wont be a giant by the end of it, but it will get you your first 10kg bodyweight gain easy.

Heres some good programs to try out:

Mark Rippetoes Starting Strength

PTC's beginners program (I'll link in a sec)

Want proof it works? I gained 20kg in my first year of lifting doing that Rippetoe program. So far, I havent seen anyone on the forum beat me.

As for diet, you're probably not eating enough, lol. Make sure you're getting 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight, if not more, and make sure all of that comes from lean meat, dairy and whey. If you still cant gain try drinking 2-3L of milk along with what you're doing.

Hope this helps.

Beau, you have merely been seduced by the Siren's, its all Jow Weiders doing.

Firstly, you need to understand you get bigger in the kitchen and stronger in the gym.

When I get a new client, and he complains he cant get bigger, he starts to reel off his workout, I interrupt him and ask what he ate today.

We have a 100% record of them under eating. Funny thing is, their first response is I eat heaps, then I tell them what I've eaten for the day.

Like Oliver said, a beginner needs a good beginners routine, that'll get you stronger.

Then you need to eat a lot of food. That'll get you bigger.

I know a bit about helping teenagers lol

I should add, those "benchmarks" Oliver set out for you are spot on.

Before you say you cant do that, I have a 17yo 65kg kid training with me who squats 140kg, benches 115kg and deadlifts 170kg, started at PTC in July/August 2009.

I also have one stronger, much stronger.175/110/215kg @ 74kg

Also look at Olivers lifts in his sig, he's still a kid, although a bit heavier than you.

Once you achieve that, by doing a full body routine, you can look at other training styles, but until then youre a novice, train like one.

Good luck and welcome.

Fantastic advice from both, young Oliver has his head in the right place.

Too many people focus on the small detail rather than the meta-principles behind strength training.

One size fits all=use your head, and find out what you really need and not what someone tells you.
The empower market is a niche, the mass market is sheeple based.
Posted via Mobile Device

thank you so much for the info guys ill be doing alot of reading of that rippetoes program and be starting it next week! as for diet everyone i talk to or everywhere i read really does push it so il make sure its up to scratch i know how important it is.
cant thank you guys enough for pointing me in the right direction il let you know how things are working over the next few months. oh and awesome forum too :D

Good post Oli. Diet wise just start off with not eating shit (says person who just ate Mc D's) all the time and make sure you are downing food often and in high quantities. As Markos said most people say I eat lots and they just do not understand what lots is.

We have a 100% record of them under eating. Funny thing is, their first response is I eat heaps, then I tell them what I've eaten for the day.

Can you post up what you eat in an average day?

ok first session of doing ripptoes starting strength dont laugh haha
squats
bench
deadlift
all weights dont include bar which im told is 20kg? dosnt feel like it tho.
i felt like squat and dL i could go up in weight by a little maybe 20kg on DL and 5 or so on squats.

sessions felt short as we use to go for 1hr or there abouts and do several exersizes
me and my mate both enjoy it so hope it works for us! :)
doing 1 set of DL's felt weird but it says not to F*** with the programe lol

Last edited:
ok first session of doing ripptoes starting strength dont laugh haha
squats
bench
deadlift
all weights dont include bar which im told is 20kg? dosnt feel like it tho.
i felt like squat and dL i could go up in weight by a little maybe 10kg on DL and 5 or so on squats.

sessions felt short as we use to go for 1hr or there abouts and do several exersizes
me and my mate both enjoy it so hope it works for us! :)
doing 1 set of DL's felt weird but it says not to F*** with the programe lol

Why don't you include the bar? Are you lifting plates only, lol

Add the 20kg...you benched 60, deadlifted 80 etc.

Why don't you include the bar? Are you lifting plates only, lol

Add the 20kg...you benched 60, deadlifted 80 etc.
wasn't sure if you guys included the bar lol but makes sense

Good start just keep upping the weights week in week out
Posted via Mobile Device
thanks mate yep looking forward to the next few months to see where i can get :D

hey guys few questions
been on the program 2 weeks and me and my mate love it but...
im hardly sore anymore after working out but we are going up the weights already and ive gained some body weight so it must be working but i havent been feeling it like i think i should
3 sets of 5 isn't much and seeing as we have been training for a year (doing splits) would i be better off on a different program? one ptc has?
anyone got any thorts?
i have no issue sticking to it if you guys belive i should.

hey guys few questions again
i know it says not to F**k with the program but i hear people recomending sticking with a weight untill you can do 8 reps than adding more weight and droping back to 5 reps?
i think its a good idea but it points out pretty strongly not to change anything.
your thorts?

Don't **** with the program :D

Seriosly just stick to it no need to get fancy. If it is still working go with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

5x5 - Heavy Heavy Heavy - personal favourite of mine for building mass
2x6 - just not enough
Read the body - if you don't feel fatigued then more intensity is needed (more weight, more reps etc)
And finally muscle soreness is not always a good thing all the time

The Starting Strength program clearly states that feeling sore, getting the pump, getting the burn, training to fatigue is NOT the goal. The goal is to gradually increase your training weights.

yeah i read that about all the soreness, pump etc its not what brought that thort on about adding a few extra reps it was purely the fact that i know thats how some people train. yeah me and my mate are pretty strict on not changing the program thats why i threw the question up before we acted upon it. dont get me wrong by 3 sets of 5 reps pushing as hard as i can its bloody hard and takes it out of me but obvisley not as much as adding few extra reps. also 1 set of deads feels so weird like i still feel it during and after but 1 set just odd but i guess they have there reasons.
thanks guys for your replys on clearing that up i wont be changing nothing :)