• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training Frequency

S

Stiffy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the old days before steroids, bodybuilders used to train body parts multiple times per week. Since Steroids became more prevalent body part splits which only train body parts once a week became more common.

For a Natural lifter, training a body part more than once a week is more optimal due to protein synthesis only lasting 48 hours after a muscle is exercised. So these splits where a natural lifter is training a body part only once a week are not optimal.

Agree, disagree?

If my muscle is still sore from my last time I worked it, I will not work it again. It is not uncommon for DOMS to last more than 48 hours with me.
I reckon I could possibly train each body part every 4-5 days

2 factors why I do a split routine and only work each muscle group once a week:
1. I'm not a body builder.
2. Time.

I barely have enough time to train each muscle group once (or 1.5 if you count my full body day). I don't know where I would fit in training everything 2-3 times more.

How many lifts would you consider to be training a body part?

Example: if I only do squats for legs once a week is this training legs? What about doing bench once a week for training chest?

I do about an hour on each muscle group. So on leg day that's about 8 exercises. On arm day that could be 10 or 11.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the old days before steroids, bodybuilders used to train body parts multiple times per week. Since Steroids became more prevalent body part splits which only train body parts once a week became more common.

For a Natural lifter, training a body part more than once a week is more optimal due to protein synthesis only lasting 48 hours after a muscle is exercised. So these splits where a natural lifter is training a body part only once a week are not optimal.

Agree, disagree?

Agree

The ability to recover between workouts improves much when on steroids whether it garners optimal results is debatable.

How many lifts would you consider to be training a body part?

Example: if I only do squats for legs once a week is this training legs? What about doing bench once a week for training chest?

Depends on the bodypart obviously. Just gotta stimulate growth (and strength gainz [MENTION=15941]steveP[/MENTION]; ) more than once a week.

So if we all agree, including [MENTION=6722]Bazza20[/MENTION]; , that training a bodypart more than once a week is optimal, a lot of people (those doing once a week splits) are obviously doing to many sets per bodypart. (Or they aren't forcing their bodies to adapt to the higher frequency of training multiple times per week.)

I guess it depends if you're focusing on powerlifting or bodybuilding training. For a powerlifter, the main lifts are first priority and the accessory work fits in between the gaps.

I guess it depends if you're focusing on powerlifting or bodybuilding training. For a powerlifter, the main lifts are first priority and the accessory work fits in between the gaps.

not sure of the point your trying to make there pertaining to the thread topic, but don't most of the "better" Powerlifting programs use a frequency of training a Lift/bodypart more than once per week. Fook me, someone in here trains Squats every workout and he trains at a PTC.

Perhaps we need a expert's opinion, [MENTION=8399]0ni[/MENTION]; front and centre pls :)

I mean that powerlifters would want to train their lifts as frequently as possible to improve. Where bodybuilding training is more about totally exhausting and fatiguing muscle groups, which takes longer to recover.

I think the most gym rats don't understand that recovery involves the whole system, they think that by splitting body parts enables the muscle groups trained to recover.

nothing wrong with splitting bodyparts, as long as intensity varies. you have to know when to back off.

Fact is most champion bb's do split bodyparts.

nothing wrong with splitting bodyparts, as long as intensity varies. you have to know when to back off.

Fact is most champion bb's do split bodyparts.

Not disputing that, just disputing that the once per week body part split is optimal for the natural lifter.

Most champion Bodybuilders are on gear. Gear increases protein synthesis, which means their muscles require less frequent stimulation.

my view: I think very intense training once a week per muscle can still work, at least for muscle growth. If once per week works for people on drugs, I do not see how the same approach could not work for naturals. Doe not make sense to me.

But, for most sports, which requires a skill element, I would always think multiple times are needed.

For bodyparts that respond well probably no point training them more than once per week, biceps, calves and chest for me are twice weekly in terms of isolation movements as they have generally lagged behind the others.