• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training and diet - while on holiday?

Stewstews

Small Fry
Hey all,

Got a holiday coming up - wondering what you all like to do with your training whilst you're away?? Not worry about it? Seek out a gym? Do what you can with bodyweight? How much can a holiday "set back" your strength/size goals?

Also I imagine diet suffers somewhat... personally I figure I'm travelling to experience different things, so I'm not going to be too fussed on diet (plus I'm trying to gain weight). However for other people who are losing weight, this could be a bigger issue?

In this upcoming case for me, there doesn't look like there will be any facilities, and will be a fair bit of hiking, swimming, lazing in the sun..

I never train on holidays. It's a holiday, I enjoy it and hit the weights hard when I get back.

Diet, if I'm cutting I watch my calories to not massively overeat but still use it as a diet break.

There are a few old threads about this.

I agree with bazza. Your on holiday. Enjoy it.

If you want to exercise then do burpees, push up

The only training I did on my recent Thai holiday was beer curls and 'planks' in the ocean lol. How often does a holiday come around? Enjoy yourself.

My holidays always include about 8 hours of walking my big ass around each day so i tend to lose weight. If it was a relaxing holiday I would just take jt easy and make sure I don't go overboard on the food.

How long is the holiday?

Depends where it is and for how long!!
If its just a week, relax!!
Saying that, I cant! I usually go for an early run before everyone gets up, so I'm not interrupting any plans for the day and I feel fresh, especially if a few beers or crappy food was taken in the night before!!

i'm really looking forward to my next holiday - it will be a 6 week trip either early 2013 or 14 including some time in japan, france, italy and romania. I'll get some time on snow in all 4 countries and i'll eat stuff that i wouldn't normally eat in my hum-drum day-to-day life. that means breaking my religiously strict low-carb policy. rice, soba and ice cream in japan, spaghetti and gelato in italy, pastries in france, polenta in romania, bread EVERYWHERE...

i really, really enjoy my current diet, but holidays don't come around so often so they aren't really the time to be counting calories or missing out foods so i'm more than happy to go nuts and put on a few kilos - it will be totally worth it :D

then i'll come home and detox :D

In my case the holiday will be 3-4 weeks. Not the longest, but just a little worried as has been hard battle to put some weight on. Will just make sure I enjoy the food on offer!

If you're bulking anyway then definitely doesn't really matter. I'd just try and stick to around maintenance until you can get to a decent gym though.

Also agree with Dave. Office workers going on holidays makes for drastic changes in general activity level.

I always make sure there is a gym at the hotel or nearby, personally.

In NZ I would spend the day boarding, come back to the hotel, rest a little, hit the gym, and then do hot/colds in the pool/spa. Felt great every morning.

Hotel gyms are shit, just grab the heaviest dumbell they have and get creative.

Just came back from a month in Canada. Was able to get into the gym a few times. Stuck to this formula. Worked out every 3-4 days with one week off where I went fishing.

Squat or Dead variation (started at 3 worksets of 3 reps and added a workset each workout... so with warm up was 7 or 8 sets... I think I worked up to 7 sets of 3, which made it about 11 sets total)
Dumbell Bench (just worked up to a weight I could do 8 reps with and did 2 sets of that... about 6 sets total)
Cable Rows (same as dumbell bench but stuck with 10-12 reps)
Abs - 3 sets of whatever
** sometimes I supersetted the bench and cable rows

Eating. Dont' snack. Just eat 3 meals. Keep seconds and deserts to a minimum, but eat whatever you want. Sticking to 3 meals helps alot. Its the doughnuts and snacking that will do you in more than anything.

Last edited: