• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training after illness

Jungnaut

YOLO Kunce
Got any advice about how I should approach training after being sidelined with illness? I haven't been sick for like 2 years so this chest/throat/sinus infection really knocked me out for the past fortnight, plus I was on a holiday for a week prior so it's been 3 weeks since I have trained.

Well, I am sick of feeling sick and sorry for myself, lying there in bed like a disaster relief patient, sO I have an ultimatum to start training next week regardless. I still have a migraine and cough sporadically like a madman but what the hell.

If I launch straight back into my program, but with lower expectations on weights lifted of course, how much lower should I reduce my working weight by?

In expectation of super DOMS, I have some ibruprofen on hand so all is good in that regard.

I have tried to maintain flexibility and mobility so movement should be ok.

Tapping my feet and sweating it out as I type this, so antsy to get back to training again after all this time, it's driving me crazy really!

I had a bad case of the flu this year. I just tried my usual weight, realised I was weaker then went back into it a bit more slowly. Not much more slowly mind you...

Dont kill yourself on your first few sessions but go pretty hard by week 2 or 3 I think.

As above.

I got crook over Xmas. Both weeks while away on holiday.

Chest infection, developed into something nasty which I've only just managed to shake.

Kept going to the gym. Prolly a bit silly as it would've extended the illness, but you know what it's like ;)

Main thing is you still have that hunger to get back into it.

This will help you no end :)

Yeah I would've loved to just keep training but coughing and wheezing up biological material every 20 seconds isn't exactly conducive to the valsalva maneuver lol. Plus being out like that in public is pretty embarassing really so decided to be a hermit instead.