• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Too much?

siiiski

Hey guys just getting back into training after a few months off due to various different things (injuries etc) I know it's not an excuse but I'm keen to get back into training again. Have put on a bit of fat since I've been away from the weights so I'll be in a caloric deficit.

Was considering doing the beginner PTC program for a little while just to get my lifts back up on par and maybe 2 conditioning sessions a week (kettlebells, boxing, ball slam type stuff).just wondering if this is too much? I've seen a lot of argument against doing 3 heavy days a week (full body) and people saying do heavy/light/heavy or heavy medium and light days instead. But then I saw a post on here against light days and would like some opinions on what type of setup to run. Not looking to spark arguments about light days would rather a few different opinions and reasonings to help me work things out.

Goals right now are to lose a bit of fat and get my strength up to where I left off.

Thanks for any advice.

I did starting strength 3X5 until I plateued and then started MadCow and still increasing my lifts. I like Madcow given I am training for ToughMudder and the lighter day let's me have some kind of rest to go for a run.

That's just me, I'm far from lifting what some are doing here though.

horses for courses, everyone is different I got board just going 3 times a week and just felt like I could do more so I go 5-6 times a weak doing 3-4 heavy days and 2-3 lighter/accessory days

Hey guys just getting back into training after a few months off due to various different things (injuries etc) I know it's not an excuse but I'm keen to get back into training again. Have put on a bit of fat since I've been away from the weights so I'll be in a caloric deficit.

Was considering doing the beginner PTC program for a little while just to get my lifts back up on par and maybe 2 conditioning sessions a week (kettlebells, boxing, ball slam type stuff).just wondering if this is too much? I've seen a lot of argument against doing 3 heavy days a week (full body) and people saying do heavy/light/heavy or heavy medium and light days instead. But then I saw a post on here against light days and would like some opinions on what type of setup to run. Not looking to spark arguments about light days would rather a few different opinions and reasonings to help me work things out.

Goals right now are to lose a bit of fat and get my strength up to where I left off.

Thanks for any advice.

Ok, so how much success did you have with your last routine?
What was it?

You've now reached the didactic portion of the lesson.

Your search & destroy mission is to look up and study the following:

1. Tonic/Phasic
2. Slow Twitch/Fast Twitch
3. Aerobic/Anaerobic

If you have any questions, don't ask, at least not for a while.

Take some time and explore those things on your own.

They are very pertinent for any trainee.

Having a better understanding will allow you to make the best use of your time, energy and recovery.

Yeah well I wasted a lot of my time to begin with like a lot of noobies, and then got onto a program from bodybuilding.com forums which is similar to the PTC program but with heavy medium light called all pros program, I was making good progress but I always felt I wasn't doing enough, but everyone said not to stray from the heavy medium light days but when I come here everyone says to go hard 3 days a week so that's why I'm confused, will definitely do some more research and try to see what works for me I guess? Just so much conflicting opinions on everything lol

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 2

I was making good progress...

But then I saw a post on here against light days

If it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Don't worry to much about what people say on forums. You don't know what their experience, age or fitness level is, what drugs they are on or how much they are just straight up bu11shitting to try and impress their forum buddies.

Figure out what works best for you from trial and error and stick to it until it doesn't work anymore. Don't let your/others ego dictate your training.

I'm doing the same routine and its working well for me. You can try increasing the number of sets and adding a few additional exercises for triceps and shoulders. If you still feel like you aren't being worked hard enough then change the light days to medium or heavy days 3 days a week and monitor your progress over a month or so. I doubt you'll make better progress than you already are but try it for yourself. Its the only way you'll know what works best for you.

Just increase your weekly training volume over time
3 heavy days of training is a great start and will take you far. You won't *need* a light day doing this but you can add one in to get you used to the volume and then make it increasingly heavier if you want to go that path. Ultimately you're going to make the most progress doing something you enjoy

When do you stop increasing volume?

Do you abide by Prilipins chart oni?

Medvedyev wrote (and I paraphrase) that the first 6 years of training should be predominately increasing your weekly and monthly volume and then after that keeping volume roughly the same and increasing average intensity

The Bulgarians shat all over that and Prilipin's table and just increased volume and kept average intensity as high as possible. The Chinese are fairly Bulgarian in their training.

I'm currently hitting around 15-20 reps a week at 90% or above. I think Prilipin recommends 3-9. It's a good starting point for sure but I think you're better off increasing your volume over time as well as getting heavier over time. If you currently do 5x5 which is 25 reps at 80% a week then you'd GRADUALLY start dropping reps per set and increasing sets. Increasing your volume when you're training 6 days a week for 10 hours is pretty damn hard lol, so increase it slowly. A monthly increase in volume like you'd see in Sheiko is probably fine. If you can handle more than do more

Thanks.

Yes I have finally broken my godamn bench plateau by doing up to 25 sets a workout, and eating quite a lot. Haven't hit a new single yet but I did 120x3 twice today which is definitely stronger than I've ever been.

I do a lot of sets at 60-70%, with 1-1:30 breaks (trying for a bodybuilding effect). Just a few heavy sets, generally to start with. I have no idea when I should stop adding sets though, Prilipin's table looks way too easy for 55%-65% (24 reps total lol).

For 90% plus I actually sort of agree with Prilipin's chart, I feel like any more would be risking injury.

My last workout looked like this for volume:
Incline bench:
66%x10,10,10,8,7
60%x10,8,7,7,7,7,6,7

Dips all to failure:

+7 sets of military press to failure, 8 reps a set

A bit more than 24 reps, even discounting Military press.

All pros beginners program is an excellent program, it will allow you continual progression for a fairly long time if you follow it as written.