• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Tonight, world record freefall from the edge of space

Literally a giant leap for mankind!

I just watched it on you tube this morning. Good stuff :thumbup:

wanted to watch it but had to resort to the news coverage this morning
what a mad bastard, what was the first thing that he thought when he cracked that door open and looked outside

crazy to see the curve of the earth like that

Omg, when the door seal finally released (there were issues with exhausting the cabin pressure & Felix kept saying 'the door isn't opening Joe. The door is not opening') I thought I was going to throw up, because all I could think was, how the hell do you go that far & have that much bad ass in you, only to be bought back to earth because the seal of the door doesn't open! lol

But when it rolled back! OMGGGGGGG the curvature of the earth was incredible. Terrifying to see our world like that too! I imagine it would make you feel so insignificant in that moment.

Thats why I found his salute from the step & the final words 'I'm coming home' so profound. I clapped my hand over my mouth, held my breath & got tears in my eyes. Great moment!

Such a brave pioneer. You could offer me every last cent in the world & I still wouldn't & couldn't do that.

My space suit woulda been full of poop :eek: lol

Is there a link to the replay?

They've edited all the chatter beforehand I see, which is interesting :cool: Also miss the door rolling back & his salute, I don't know why :/

Kaz may have a better youtube link Bazza

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CczfFjHlYAo]YouTube - FELIX BAUMGARTNER JUMP - Full video RED BULL Stratos MISSION ![/ame]

[ame=http://youtu.be/PFVlakHftPE]Felix Baumgartner Stratosphere Jump 120,000 FT free fall - YouTube[/ame]

There you go Bazza

I would of said something profound like ill pick up some milk on the way home haha! 1000kmph in 30 seconds, no words for how astonishing that is! The question begs, what can he do with his life now? Lol

Felix Baumgartner Stratosphere Jump 120,000 FT free fall - YouTube

There you go Bazza

I would of said something profound like ill pick up some milk on the way home haha! 1000kmph in 30 seconds, no words for how astonishing that is! The question begs, what can he do with his life now? Lol

Go settle the fuck down & start a family with that gorgeous girlfriend of his!?? lol

I'm sure they'll have an incredible job for him at NASA or somewhere equally awesome.

Also Jaz, did you see how much his poor mother was crying? God that made me so teary. His parents first time abroad & they had to watch their son jump from the earths stratosphere, not knowing whether he'd live or not. lol

Judging by his past jumps I dont think he will be settling down any time soon, some highly illegal base jumps here, dodging security etc.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_Io1DgObCs&feature=related]Felix Baumgartner's Top Freefalls - YouTube[/ame]

i was expecting to hear the 5mins of free fall with faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Lmao Graeme that woulda been me! And every other swear word you can possibly conjure up :D

He was just breathing heavy. Probably very conscious of screaming like a little bitch...like I would have lol

Grippy, I feel sorry for his girlfriend then! He be a daredevil! He'll be on the media/celebrity circuit for a while now I would imagine.

Wow absolutely incredible.

I didn't know the body could handle that. If anyone has an interview post jump would love to hear what the experience was like for that first 60 seconds. Would be incredible.

So skin boiling/frying was even a possibility within the space suit? Please aware me on the cause? The fall itself or being too high and exposed?

I didn't know the body could handle that. If anyone has an interview post jump would love to hear what the experience was like for that first 60 seconds. Would be incredible.

So skin boiling/frying was even a possibility within the space suit? Please aware me on the cause? The fall itself or being too high and exposed?
back in 1959 Joseph Kittinger did a 31km jump , he had a hole in his glove due to the pressures experienced his hand was reported to have ballooned to double the size

There's no air pressure or VERY little at thy altitude which is the Mao reason the blood boils I think, I mean it would start to boil at 7km up I remember hearing god knows what it would do at 38km lol.

Hey Minchia, from what I understood, there were a series of steps that Felix had to go through before releasing pressure in the capsule & opening the door of the vessel. They explained last night, that as pressure was released in the vessel, his spacesuit would kick in & expand & become the vessel that keeps his body alive, rather than the pod he jumped from, the transference of pressure from cabin to suit is the most important part to ensure he actually lived to make the jump.

If there was anything wrong with the suit or it tore..his skin would have boiled apparently & he would have died. But all went well. A couple of minor hiccups & there were issues with his viser not having enough heat as he was ascending at the very beginning, obviously they never completely addressed that issue, as he was complaining during his freefall of the viser icing over & he couldn't see.

Back in 1960, when Joe Kittenger jumped his spacesuit tore at the hand (Jaz & Darkoz have both posted about it in here) he didn't reach Felix's height or break the sound barrier mind you, but apparently Joe's hand swelled up during the decent to twice its normal size & he was in agony on the way down.

Fascinating isn't it?

Felix done good. No real issues that effected his jump badly & he was (incredibly) safe & touched the ground with a victory air pump before falling to his knees.

I read an article where Felix said that the changeover of compression from vessel to suit was the moment your body just didn't want to be where it was. It will be really interesting to see the documentary made of this journey & his interviews afterwards.

I don't think any have been released yet? Not in english anyway. But I'm sure they will be over the coming days.

The full doco is due to be available within 3-4 weeks they said last night.

Last edited:
What a mad adrenaline rush that would have been!

Makes me want to do more freefall!

I reckon he was quietly enjoying the view and wishing it wouldn't end so quickly

have to laugh , 50years ago our parents were watching a man land on the moon , last night we just watched some guy jump out of a balloon 37km up lol

Yeah but complete freefall Graeme, no vessel. Its like the craziest sky dive you could think of lol

They were saying last night that they hope data retrieved will help create spacesuits for NASA for future space dudes & also for civilian flights to other planets :eek: they also said the data would be invaluable in the future if a civilian 'space bus' had to abort at that altitude, they now know & can plan for people freefalling & surviving at that height & speed :eek:

lol

THAT makes me laugh. I can't even jump off a barstool, let alone from the stratosphere of space because a calibrator explodes. Or we run outta fuel lol Nup. Never gonna happen for me lol

A lot of the vids on YouTube were of people filming thier computers.
Sorry I didn't check back earlier!
I did manage to find a clear one where you can here what he is saying in the helmet.

His first press conference after the jump with the Stratos Team and verification of records broken.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyyy7QZT5mk]Red Bull Stratos Post Jump Press Conference (HD) - YouTube[/ame]