• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Tips/tricks for unracking bench solo

direpl

Weak Skinny Kunce
So I often to have a training partner and cant get a lift off when I'm benching. Previously this was fine as I was benching with a much flatter back and not so far forward. Since I changed to a bigger arch which resulted in me setting up further forward I have struggled to unrack. Anyone got any tips, ideas, tricks, suggestions?

Also not sure if this impacts it but I bench with a very close grip
Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Set up further back??

Set the rack so you press it out only an inch when heavy. Set yourself up so you are only an inch forward of yoir lockout position.

I bench every week alone. Works a treat.

Tim.

Set up further back, maybe lower the rack a little. Unrack with a lockout of the elbows and a shrug up with the lats then "pull" the bar out with the lats like a DB pullover.

Set up further back, maybe lower the rack a little. Unrack with a lockout of the elbows and a shrug up with the lats then "pull" the bar out with the lats like a DB pullover.

I will set up further back, so start further off the bench before I arch back under the bar. Ive tried pulling the bar out but found it hard since the rack in pretty deep. But I haven't tried it shrugging first so I will give that a shot thanks!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

My trick is to setup, then push through the hips to get the butt high off the bench. This pushes the traps harder against the bench and makes it much easier to unrack. Once you bring the bar out into position, you can lower the hips again.

The other advantage of this is that it reminds you of how tight the upper back should be and to get the glutes fully engaged, which you should be doing if setting up a proper arch.

You'll get used to it. When I started training solo, I found it hard to unrack with 100kg. Now I'm very comfortable well above my max, to the point where lift-outs throw me off.

I had this problem and I took a break for heavy benching to focus on deadlifting for a deadlift only meet
No longer have issues. The key is the lats for sure