• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

tips and advice for hardgainer

S

sandman

Hello, I've been working out for atleast 6months now with little gain. Although I feel stronger, can lift more and look a little more defined I've only put on like 2kgs.

I'm 19yrs old, 5'4' and weigh 56kg at the moment.

This is my program now:
I try and workout every second day. One workout each day.

- Chest and legs:

Flat Bench press(smith or free) or upright chest press(machine) 3x10 at 50-55kg
upright flyes (machine) at 4x10 at 47-54kg
incline bench press (smith) 3x10 at 45kg

leg press ( machine) 3x12 at 80-90 kg
hamstring leg curl or quad extension(machine) (if im up for it.) 3x12 40-45kg.

- Shoulders and back

Lat pull down(machine) 3x10 at 20-27kg
rows or similar(machines) 4 x 20-35kg
other back machine ( if im up for it)

shoulder press( lever machine) 3x10 at 25kg each shoulder
lateral raises(dumbells) 3x10 at 8-10kg each shoulder
upright rows(barbell) 3x10 at 25kg

I'm eating every 3hrs or so now.
am i using too many machines?
too many excercises?

Hi Sandman,

The main reason you are not gaining is that you are not eating enough calories.

Personally, I would use less machines and more free weight compound movements right now.
Include barbell bench press, barbell shoulder press, dips too.
Try and progress from pulldowns to chin ups, or use a chin/dip assisted machine if you have access to one.

And the most important - Heavy squats and deadlifts, also stiff leg deadlifts, you must do these.

It's good to see you are not just doing arms and abs like most beginners.
Do you do any arms at all though?

Get in the extra calories and enough rest and you will grow.
Don't think of yourself as a hardgainer.

What is it you are eating every 3 hours?

Good luck.

you need to eat more calories then what you burn up , up your calorie intake and see how you go with that

as you said , you are feeling stronger, can lift more and look a little more defined that pretty much rules out being a hardgainer , alot of beginners to bodybuilder claim to be a hardgainer as they don't realise how much much work is needed

dead, squat and bench hit the biggest muscles of the body, if they grow then the rest will follow, forget your isolation exercises

will add chin uoa, dips squats and dips on place of machines. Might be hard somethimes when I dont have a spotter.

Not doing arm isolation at the moment. Just concentrating on the large muscel groups. My arms get a little bit of work along the way.

With food i try and get as much quality proteins, and nutrients. Extra carbs on workout days.

Problem is, only 2kg in 6 months.