• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Thoughts on coconut oil?

Davepuppies

Puppy Kunce
Who here uses coconut oil?

i have read a few articles promoting it has many health benefits, and is a MCT so is good for fat loss (with the right diet)

thoughts?

i have replaced my use of olive oil with coconut oil the last few weeks, I enjoy the taste, but wondered what others take on it was?

i get my fats otherwise from almonds, salmon, lean red meat and chicken, and eggs.

I like extra virgin coconut oil when I make curries. I have tried it with stir fried but found the flavour to be too overwhelming for most dishes cooked this way. Same as for cooking vegies in it, not the best flavour wise.

And does anyone find that the smell of coconut oil heating up on the pan to be a bit gnarly? Like a used G-String after a hens night perhaps??

I use it to massage my gf. This is the best use for coconut oil.

I also heard it cures cancer.

Coconut oil is good for cooking because it tastes great, but regardless of whether it'a a shorter chain triglyceride than other fats it's still 90% saturated and therein lies the problem. I wouldn't use it as a primary source of fats long term, for my money you're better off with olive oil or similar which is low in saturates. Everything is fine in moderation and it does taste fantastic, and it has a high burning point too which is good for stir fries etc.

Coconut oil is good for cooking because it tastes great, but regardless of whether it'a a shorter chain triglyceride than other fats it's still 90% saturated and therein lies the problem. I wouldn't use it as a primary source of fats long term, for my money you're better off with olive oil or similar which is low in saturates. Everything is fine in moderation and it does taste fantastic, and it has a high burning point too which is good for stir fries etc.

Yep. This.

It's had a lot of money thrown at it to convince people that it's healthy to try and get rid of something that was a waste product not that long ago.

The problem with oils is "hydrogenation" and not the fact that oil is "saturated" , in fact saturated fat plays a vital role in the body's chemistry.

90% saturated is not correct, think before you type.

coconut oil is good for cooking because the structure does not change under high temperature

olive oil should not be cooked with as the structure does change an loses all the benefits, cold pressed oil offers.

coconuts were demonized in the 80's because of the word saturated and everyone started eating margarine and eating less meat.

Shit, if you like the taste, use it, if you don't, use butter.

Last edited:
Used to use it as part of my fat source - but honestly can't stomach the stuff - I used to just have a tablespoon or 2 - but can't stand the taste, texture - terrible haha - I just have MCT Oil now and I could drink that stuff all day long....

Coconut Oil of course has its health benefits - but its abit of a "fad" health product at the moment - aslong as your getting some good fats into your diet I don't think it matters to much the source i.e MCT oil, almond oil, Udo's oil, nuts, coconut oil etc etc

Regardless of the saturated fat levels, 66% is MCT and will be used for energy passing I to the blood almost immediately after ingesting.
This is granted the coconut oil you are using is legit.
I find that when I have coconut oil, it tends to perk me up a little bit.
It no double shot of espresso, but still helps.

I have been using it to cook with, a half teaspoon in the frypan with either my salmon or chicken.

i enjoy the taste.......

dont nut know if I have bought into all the literature that suggests it is a more healthy option than olive oil, but I like the fact it is a lot less processed (I use the organic Virgin variety)

Coconut Oil of course has its health benefits - but its abit of a "fad" health product at the moment - aslong as your getting some good fats into your diet I don't think it matters to much the source i.e MCT oil, almond oil, Udo's oil, nuts, coconut oil etc etc

Yeah this. Any food can have health benefits if you look hard enough. If you are eating a wide variety of foods the supposed benefits of individual foods don't really matter.

Despite marketing towards some foods there is no such thing as a miracle food.

It would be pretty stupid to add a heap of coconut oil into your diet because of its dubious health claims.

Basically if you like the taste have some if not who cares.

Yeah this. Any food can have health benefits if you look hard enough. If you are eating a wide variety of foods the supposed benefits of individual foods don't really matter.

Despite marketing towards some foods there is no such thing as a miracle food.

It would be pretty stupid to add a heap of coconut oil into your diet because of its dubious health claims.

Basically if you like the taste have some if not who cares.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on food in general, especially the last sentence.