• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Theory i have

misslifty

Howdy,

Majority of OLYMPIC lifters I know of can bench in excess of 200kg, yet none of them train chest, or have any chest/Tricep development.

From what I have been reading and my interpretation of it is that:
The explosive nature of OLY lifting ( fast twitch fibers) is what builds strength and that's why a SPEED/XPLOSIVE day is included for each exercise in most successful powerlifting programmes.

agree/disagree?

Thanks

PS: I just want to understand why I am doing something, I don't want to waste a day if its just something that everyone does but no one knows why.

they are strong overhead which helps bench dramatically.
Olympic lifts produce results that all I know.

Last edited:
I suppose I agree in general.. Though it's something for lifters more advanced than myself.

I've heard about increasing bench by doing explosive pressing from the rack... So you set the rails or pegs low and press up explosively, then lower back down to the pegs slowly until you're not feeling the weight, then do it again for however many reps. This way you can be explosive with a fairly heavy weight.

Wouldn't mind seeing some video's of these Olympic Lifters with no chest or Triceps benching in excess of 200kg...

They push a lot of weight over their head occasionally.

As far as the majority of lifters not doing exercises other than the oly lifts, i have no idea, but I'm sure some have and some still do.

without press movement, Olympic lifters do not need same upper pressing strength.

Jerk more to with technique and drive from legs.

When I was lifting, I was nearly as strong in bench as some guys who jerked 180-190kg yet I was lifting just 120kg overhead a time.

They just did not press much at all.

That was 30 years ago though.

In Canberra a few years ago, a few who jerked 130kg also did few pressing movements. Big legs and good technique most important for them.

Last edited:
At the bottom, barbell press from touching the chest is initiated by the back. So, a strong back makes a strong bench. Once the barbell gets half way up the triceps take over. Weak back = no explosive press.

What I am getting at is that the Xplosive day in a powerlifting programme is to activate the fast twitch fibers which develop strength?

I was using OLY lifting as an example, they are XPLOSIVE in nature yet are extremely strong in areas where they don't train.

Last edited:
there is some crossover to muscles not targeted from certain lifts, but I would doubt if anyone ever got super strong in a certain movement unless they did a similar movement.

For example, a decent Olympic lifter will do a decent deadlift. My first go at deadlift was 215kg, after building my power clean up from 50kg to 120kg when a youngster.

A guy who cleans and jerks 250kg will obviously do a big deadlift, even if he does not train the deadlift.

But I doubt whether a big clean and jerk, relying little on pressing movements, can result in a massive bench.

Military presses will have some carry over, but much less so with jerks.

I hope this makes sense.

Me no expert...

You'll find most good only lifters, like cyclists have a higher ratio of fast twitch in the lower extremities.

IMO, "explosive day" is a wank.
[MENTION=2727]Fadi[/MENTION]; ?

you still have to do the movement.

If it was all about who has 90% fast twitch fibres, then each champion would be a champion in any sport where fast twitch fibres are required. We know of many athletes who make transition to other sports, even from powerlifting to olympic lifting and vice versa, but they don't often succeed.

If you don't press, you cant be strong in press, no matter how many fast twitch fibres you have.

A person who squats will have reasonably strong abs without doing them, but not when compared to a gymnast.

Howdy,

Majority of OLYMPIC lifters I know of can bench in excess of 200kg, yet none of them train chest, or have any chest/Tricep development.

From what I have been reading and my interpretation of it is that:
The explosive nature of OLY lifting ( fast twitch fibers) is what builds strength and that's why a SPEED/XPLOSIVE day is included for each exercise in most successful powerlifting programmes.

agree/disagree?

Thanks

PS: I just want to understand why I am doing something, I don't want to waste a day if its just something that everyone does but no one knows why.

Like 0ni stated, if you want to be good at something you just got to do it.

think of it this way.

The explosive nature of oly lifting, requires the use of the fast twitch.

The use of "explosive" type training, I believe is not going to increase that genetically pre-determined ratio of FTF or strength of the muscles involved.

Practicing the lifts, using very heavy weight will improve the skill level, the by-product among many is strength increase.

Using a template of other supplementary exercises as an adjunct to your oly program will and sholud help protect tendons and joints from the high impact forces imposed by the oly lifts.

Last edited: