• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I would like to know though - if you were doing an exercise you didn't realise was incorrect, would you appreciate a PT showing you the correct way?

In short no. I've had too many PT's pull me up for squatting below parallel because it will DESTROY my knees.

Just because they think it is correct does not always make it so.

Edit: Hi & welcome to the forum I'm sure your a competent pt but there are some shockers out there.

Yes and no. One gym I worked out, the clients were allocated to me. However, I've just come out of a short stint at another gym where I was contracted and they weren't (unless it was a promo or something). But yes - some PTs I have met won't stick around unless they are training their clients or themselves.

I would like to know though - if you were doing an exercise you didn't realise was incorrect, would you appreciate a PT showing you the correct way?

I would greatly appreciate being shown the correct way... Im always keen to identify areas for improvement...

However like others I shudder when I see some of the PT's training clients at my gym.... There seems to be a distinct lack of ability and experience... Coupled with a very poor knowledge base...

Although agreeably its not fair to tar all PT's with the same brush...

Last edited:
Yeah not much really. Most people who require CPR end up with broken ribs.

Anyway, today at Anytime there was a guy teaching his girlfriend to squat using the smith machine. She was doing that typical "lean back into the bar" technique that everyone seems to do, so that the bar is way behind the centre of the feet... she was pretty hot though, so instead of helping I just perved..

As I understand it (from a physics point of view mind you) when you squat, regardless of low bar, high bar or front squat, you keep the weight above your feet.

When you squat under a smith however, you neutralise the ability to stabilise the bar - fair enough. Those who completely discredit the smith can do what they would like.

But since a smith machine is at a slight forward angle, the force of the bar is not downward. In order to have the weight (not the mass) above your feet, you may have your feet around the line created by the bottom of the sliders (where the bar would imaginarily hit the ground if it didn't have stoppers).

Do you understand where I am coming from?

Treating it as a normal squat would be crazy, considering that the weight is not down.

The thing with these commerical gyms and PT's is that generally they won't turn up and show their presence if they don't have a client as MOST of their clients get allocated to them, which is my understanding anyways, so if they aren't working they don't show, instead of being around the gym helping out and trying to build thwir client base they do whatever they do away from the gym....

Yeah... Fair point. Still... It would be good to see someone on the floor keeping an eye on things...

Generally (at my gym anyway, a shitty commercial genesis) all PT's lifting experience is the piece of paper they have gained from their course. There is so much misinformation and general shitness with their training approach and training ability. All of their clients make zero noticable progress. The only PT I respect at my gym told me the shitty training style (spotting every rep, teaching dogshit form etc) is to keep the client dependant on the personal trainer. So serves you right for not having the motivation and courage/willpower to stand on your own two feet. Shitty personal trainer dissaprecciation.

Depending on the trainer. If I was doing something wrong, I would appreciate anyone who knew what they were talking about to come and correct me. Qualified or not. As said a lot, half the PT's out there don't know what they're talking about, I'm happy for them to stay quiet. That said, to have one that only knows a little bit, would still benefit most commercial gyms, as they can give advice to anyone who is starting from scratch, and still be of some assistance.
(Also if they hang around and ask some of the more serious lifters questions, they'd probably become better PT's)

This may or may not be appropriate for the thread, but imagine seeing THIS at the gym.

What in the f...?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw54IsQOHhY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

For you guys talking about PT's. It is not a PT's job to be on the floor correcting exercise, that is the job of a Gym Instructor. Some PT's can be given floor work as a Gym Instructor which happens normally when a PT starts for 3-6 months.

Saying a PT should be out there on the floor when they do not get paid is like me telling you all to go do another part of the job that is not in your job description for a few hours a day and do it for free. They have other work to do and shitty hours to work around in many cases. If they have enough clients they won't be on the floor for free, those that don't have enough clients should be out there for their own benefits.

I will only be on the floor and helping people when I train myself. Some people who I know there will ask for help and I will give it to them IF I have the time, usually I make time. I still agree that a lot of PT's don't know shit.

I stand around at the gym eating kebabs and yelling

- chest up
- bums down
- eyes up
- wtf is this rihanna music?
- your rounding the back. Chest up!!
- squat deeper your no longer at finance first!

Wish I had a pretaped recorder lol

cheers Trent

Last edited:

- chest up
- bums down
- eyes up

cheers Trent

Wow, sounds like you earn your money :D

- chest up
- bums down
- eyes up

cheers Trent
minh does the same thing. he walks around with his seedy smile yelling

- chest up
- get tight
- hips
- let it settle
- hmmmmm (when somethings not right)

and that seedy laugh he does when people fail/do something stupid

- chest up
- bums down
- eyes up

cheers Trent

I'm definitely learning from the best, lol.

I noticed more people in the freeweights section than the cardio section today, which was good.

when you noticed this.

were you thinking - oh this will be a great post to go on the what you saw at gym today thread at ausbb.

lol.

when you noticed this.

were you thinking - oh this will be a great post to go on the what you saw at gym today thread at ausbb.

lol.

That's it. I'm about to go to the gym with this in mind.
:cool:
And if I don't see anything I'm making sh*t up.