• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
. It's not a lever, there's no fucking fulcrum, and even if there was- the weight is on the same side as the handle so it doesn't act as a lever. Your description of curves is all fucked up too y, if it starts off easy and gets hard then there's a curve (not flatter like you say) and the resistance curve of a barbell is flat (unless you add bands or chains to change that curve.

Feel better now?

Last edited by a moderator:
So......some bloke doing standing shrugs on the Hammer Strength Bench Press (straddling the bench) when 10 metres away there is a perfectly good Hammer Strength Shrug Machine (or whatever SB wants to call it). I couldn't figure it out. He then went and did DB shrugs right next to said shrug machine. I do give peeps at my gym top marks for ingenuity.

. It's not a lever, there's no fucking fulcrum, and even if there was- the weight is on the same side as the handle so it doesn't act as a lever. Your description of curves is all fucked up too y, if it starts off easy and gets hard then there's a curve (not flatter like you say) and the resistance curve of a barbell is flat (unless you add bands or chains to change that curve).

Vegas, let me describe that better for your pea brain, as the lever arm comes closer to horizontal the resistance becomes harder, at that point in the machine where you are standing erect the resistance is highest.

if you do the same movement with a barbell the the resistance remains the same, the bar is travelling in a straight line as opposed to a rotational movement in the leverage machine.

That is the overall reason why we do variations of the same exercises and get results, because they have differing resistance curves e.g;

barbell curl
machine curl
preacher curl
concentration curl, just to name a few

So......some bloke doing standing shrugs on the Hammer Strength Bench Press (straddling the bench) when 10 metres away there is a perfectly good Hammer Strength Shrug Machine (or whatever SB wants to call it). I couldn't figure it out. He then went and did DB shrugs right next to said shrug machine. I do give peeps at my gym top marks for ingenuity.

I see a lot of guys standing in front of the HS chest press and using it to do rows....the HS row machine is about 10m away :confused:

I can't even imagine how that works...
They load up one side and stand facing it, then row. But the ROM is like 6" (or at least that's all they all seem to do) and I guess you'd have to be the right height to make it work? Still doesn't make sense to me either

They load up one side and stand facing it, then row. But the ROM is like 6" (or at least that's all they all seem to do) and I guess you'd have to be the right height to make it work? Still doesn't make sense to me either

Ah you mean like a bent over row?

Freaky man.

Like this but everyone I've seen always just stands vertical so the ROM is nowhere near as much. I think the angle starts getting too high to get full contraction unless you're super tall? I'd imagine you can't lift as much or get a full stretch as you've got no support....catchy tune ;)

Last edited:
Like this but everyone I've seen always just stands vertical so the ROM is nowhere near as much. I think the angle starts getting too high to get full contraction unless you're super tall? I'd imagine you can't lift as much or get a full stretch as you've got no support....catchy tune ;)

See, personally I'd use an iso- row machine for iso-rows....but that's just me...

FYI - Glamrock brothers, Ma Baker.

Yeah I've seen this. Or they turn the incline chest press into a shoulder press by kneeling. I can see it working if you had no rowing or shoulder machines. But if you gym does have these, you just look like you're trying to be a bit too hardcore.

I had a box setup next to a rack to hold onto to do single leg calf raises. Had my bag of stuff and drink bottle next to it. Old mate rocks up, moves the chinup bar to a different height and starts doing his half chinup/bicep curl things right in the same area as I was already using. He had his rest break and I thought fuck this, I'm not moving, I was here first. Went onto my next set and he worked it out and went and used the other chinup bar that was literally 2m away. Seriously, fucktards everywhere.

I saw this guy using the squat rack during peak hour. Oh course he was doing half reps supersetted with 10 minute phone calls.

phone-at-gym-meme.jpg

Granted he was an older fella, but a guy on the leg press, about 400kg on there, all good..except....he hadn't put the stoppers down. He'd get about a 1/2 rom and bounce it off the stoppers at the bottom. I was intrigued.