• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Went to the gym last night, saw guys doing heavy squats in the racks, people doing heavy dead lifts on the platforms, clean and jerks, snatches, log presses and bench presses. Chalk, no music other than the symphony of Iron on Iron Not a bro curler in sight.

Brought a tear to my eye it did.

Bliss.

So why does it get used for "deadlifts" more than shrugs?

*I use the term very lightly as generally people don't put it all the way down either.

It doesn't.

Tbh I think it is actually called something else but I see most people using it for shrugs. I'll have to have a squiz at the label on it next time. I think people use it more for a faux zercher squat, the hand position is all wrong for deadlift. It's the kind of thing a 75 year old does with a 5 either side. I see some pretty inventive stuff on the daily.

But...it's a shrug machine!

Seated calf raise at the gym is out of order, the locking pin for the knee pad doesn't lock in and keeps sliding out.

Kunce rolls up, pulls the O.O.R sign off the seat, loads up 80kg of plates, gets to about rep 4, on the way up, pins slips out, weight crashes back to the stop, knees and subsequent knee bar complete with handles flies up and smashes old mate in the face. Hilarity ensued.

It doesn't.

Tbh I think it is actually called something else but I see most people using it for shrugs. I'll have to have a squiz at the label on it next time. I think people use it more for a faux zercher squat, the hand position is all wrong for deadlift. It's the kind of thing a 75 year old does with a 5 either side. I see some pretty inventive stuff on the daily.

The level of ignorance on this forum is outstanding.

the thing can be used for shurgs, using the higher handle
it can also be used very well as a squat type movement, more like a tarp bar lift, it's also probably the best device to use for the lunge.

there is a bloke in Canada (STG) that has used this device successfully to help powerlifters.

It doesn't.

Its a ground base squat lunge. That's what is on the tag at my gym and just checked the HS/LF website and it's the same.

https://www.lifefitness.com/facilit...hammer-strength-ground-base?c=Hammer+Strength

The level of ignorance on this forum is outstanding.

the thing can be used for shurgs, using the higher handle
it can also be used very well as a squat type movement, more like a tarp bar lift, it's also probably the best device to use for the lunge.

there is a bloke in Canada (STG) that has used this device successfully to help powerlifters.

So is the level of pompous righteousness and armchair expertise.

The amount of partial range shit im seeing in this gym being completed by rank noobs is making me sick.
Who do we blame? Magazines? Other gym users?
Disgusting.

The amount of partial range shit im seeing in this gym being completed by rank noobs is making me sick.
Who do we blame? Magazines? Other gym users?
Disgusting.

I see some amazing shite. My conclusion is that it is the lifters fault for not educating themselves properly. That being said gaining knowledge is a process, so people old enough to know better or people I've seen doing the same thing over time are in the worst category. 15 year old dudes that weigh 60kg and have just started training just need a nudge in the right direction.

I see some amazing shite. My conclusion is that it is the lifters fault for not educating themselves properly. That being said gaining knowledge is a process, so people old enough to know better or people I've seen doing the same thing over time are in the worst category. 15 year old dudes that weigh 60kg and have just started training just need a nudge in the right direction.
Yep agreed.

Its frustrating seeing PT's spreading the wrong messages too. I wish they would teach them someone constructive in the cert courses. But again, we come back to the self education problem.

Yep agreed.

Its frustrating seeing PT's spreading the wrong messages too. I wish they would teach them someone constructive in the cert courses. But again, we come back to the self education problem.

Agreed. There are few PTs that are worth their salt.

Then you see the occasional dude who looks like he might get bullied at school, new to the gym and doesn't know anyone, look really intimidated and quiet, skinny as, usually doing some dumbell curls or BP, but really don't know what they're doing. When I see one of these guys in the gym I feel like saying - c'mon bro, I'll train with you. Breaks my heart. Bless their cotton socks.

helping_hand.jpg

Agreed. There are few PTs that are worth their salt.

Then you see the occasional dude who looks like he might get bullied at school, new to the gym and doesn't know anyone, look really intimidated and quiet, skinny as, usually doing some dumbell curls or BP, but really don't know what they're doing. When I see one of these guys in the gym I feel like saying - c'mon bro, I'll train with you. Breaks my heart. Bless their cotton socks.

helping_hand.jpg
Haha! Must admit ive felt the same many times. Ive helped the odd bloke here and there but in general advice is not well received....

But srsly, what is the resistance curve like?

It's good, it's a lever, it's a leverage machine, like all hammer strength, it starts of relatively easy, the resistance ends up quite hard where the muscles are contracted (where it should), barbells don't offer this, so the curve is a lot flatter, but not as flat as nautilus machines.

It's good, it's a lever, it's a leverage machine, like all hammer strength, it starts of relatively easy, the resistance ends up quite hard where the muscles are contracted (where it should), barbells don't offer this, so the curve is a lot flatter, but not as flat as nautilus machines.

. It's not a lever, there's no fucking fulcrum, and even if there was- the weight is on the same side as the handle so it doesn't act as a lever. Your description of curves is all fucked up too y, if it starts off easy and gets hard then there's a curve (not flatter like you say) and the resistance curve of a barbell is flat (unless you add bands or chains to change that curve).

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if im wrong as im no engineer (but i did study engineering in school about 15 years ago...), but is that not a class 2 'lever'?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Class 2: Resistance in the middle: the effort is applied on one side of the resistance and the fulcrum is located on the other side, for example, a wheelbarrow, a nutcracker, a bottle opener or the brake pedal of a car. Mechanical advantage is always greater than 1."

Wiki.