• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
*sigh* dont know why i even bothered replying to that post, every internet expert is a professional strength and conditioning trainer and knows exactly how to train the squat for every sport dont they?

If I was training specifically for explosiveness in that range of motion, I don't think I'd be too worried about going ass to grass lol

Saw a guy take a strap, I have no idea what the strap was used for, put it around his head and attached it to the seated row machine. Then he turned around, in a seated position so his back was towards the weight stack and proceeded to do neck extensions if thats what you can call it. I know there are straps to work your neck muscles but I have never seen anything like that. Looked dangerous.

^wait they actually fell over?
Some guy trying to be a sikkent; 90kg shrugs from squat rack somehow turned into a triple jointed movement.....knee, hip, ankle helping with near no trap action.....y?

Then decides to show me how to squat (as I was getting pumped for a 3RM), he proceeds to the smith with no warmup, loads up my max (140kg) then proceeds to do knee bends T_T Safe to say had to bail the last rep (old school style letting go and jumping forward).

Some skinny dickhead running around doing circuit shit, including weird crunches on a bosu ball with the cable cross over thing....then looked at me like I was a retard while I was doing farmers walks...

Some skinny dickhead running around doing circuit shit, including weird crunches on a bosu ball with the cable cross over thing....then looked at me like I was a retard while I was doing farmers walks...

Thia one reminds me of back at the unigym...
Used to get weird looks and snide remarks during farmers walks. Until one day a trainer mate of mine that worked there started joining in.
Nekminut. Lots of skinny ******s doing farmers walks...

Tim.

0500 in the gym on base this morning, for some reason gym is packed... no idea why its usually just myself and one other mate thats a regular at those hours but today was different for some reason... finish doing squats and although i still wanted to use the rack to do some chins and hanging leg raises etc. off the bars ( best bars in the gym for doing them ) i decide to let this guy whos waiting around use the rack... so what does he do? Walks over takes the pins out, sets up for barbell curls and commences to do all sorts of stupid shit around and in the rack such as but not limited to BW step ups on a bench, kipping pull ups, DB curls, Barbell curls in the rack an then some kind of deadlift using the same bar but hyper extending so far back he was almost falling backwards at the top of each rep... stupidest shit ive ever seen and the exact reason I train at 0500 in the morning! Might have to start going at 0400 now

I saw:

a guy doing dumbell curls in the squat rack!
a guy doing squats with a smith machine - looked, I dunno - odd.

What exercises are best used with the smith machine?

Hmm I really don't see how it could be more beneficial than doing full range of motion squats with lighter weight and building explosive strength through the whole ROM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXLUlB2plyA

there's an article from the DeFranco Q&A where he backs up what Dave Tate is saying as well. Basically he'll do full depth for the first part of the off-season, the set a high(er) box as the player gets close to the season
I'll see if I can dig up the link

here we go
I use a wide variety of box heights with my athletes. The boxes I use vary from 6” from the floor to 2” above parallel. I cycle the different box heights with my athletes. Remember that doing the same thing all of the time gets you the same results! For example, in the initial stages of the off-season for my basketball and volleyball players, I usually have them perform box squats and regular squats below parallel. This is because their sport dictates that they are usually going through a partial range of motion with their squat depth during competition. During the initial stages of the off-season, I try to overcome the imbalances that they have created by performing full-range squats. This helps to create a healthier knee joint.
As the season approaches, I may make the squats more “specific” by performing squat variations that mimic the jumping motion"

Last edited:
What exercises are best used with the smith machine?

its best for lifting it into the local tip!!

hate smith machines with a passion. The bright side of having one in my gym is that the noobs can use it, leaving the squat rack free for me every time I walk in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXLUlB2plyA

there's an article from the DeFranco Q&A where he backs up what Dave Tate is saying as well. Basically he'll do full depth for the first part of the off-season, the set a high(er) box as the player gets close to the season
I'll see if I can dig up the link

here we go

my understanding in short is:

work full ROM off to build general strength and physical prepardness.

work the ROM that is actually used in the sport/activity (i.e. 1/2 squats for sprinting/jumping etc) to build the specific strength required for the sport.

reducing ROM should also allow a higher intensity in training and a quicker recovery time.

What dafuq has box squatting and quarter reps got to do with being explosive???

lol
Squatting 200 is not going to make a footballer a better player.

Having said that the squat is the single most important exercise invented by man.

My advice has always been, "just get your dead arse under the bar and squat.

All the other variations mentioned here are a waste of valuable "skill training" time.

In fact, more productive time in the gym could be spent on strengthening the hands and neck.

And even more time practicing football skills? :p

Some need a lot more than others.

I think the point of exercise in sport is to be as safe and efficiant as possible, this means the intensity of work needs to be maximum.

The strength coach needs to supply the coach, athletes that are as strong and as flexible as they can be, so the athlete can practice the skill over and over, day after day with minimal or no injury.

That's the primary function of a strength coach, which I don't see at any level of AFL.

Today I saw a guy doing incline dumbbell press with a bench inside the smith machine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I give up with commercial gyms. I like Anytime fitness however they do not want to budge on their price. There are cheaper gyms nearby which is 24 hours so I went there as it was half price membership. I went to the new one for a workout the other day, it was like a bomb went off. Dumbells everywhere. Half were missing from the dumbell rack. Weight plates everywhere. Had to walk to the other side of the weights area to find plates. Rediculous. I'm slowly trying to save for my own power rack and have a home setup.

At the same gym I just signed up to, a fat guy giving someone a personal training session. I was gobsmacked. I couldn't believe he had a client let alone work as a PT for the gym.