• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The power of RAW!!

its jsut very calorie dense for what maccas is- my preferred meal is, Large double quater pounder meal, double cheese burger and 6 nuggets.

thats like 2 days worth of calories- And im hungry about 1 hour later.

Contrary to all the myths out there, macca's beef, is 100% beef with a bit of salt and pepper added in..

"
Meat in a big mac is about 19-21% per patty and patties in q.pounders are about 25-27% if i remember my macca's training correctly lol

this is were im questioning the other 80%- Why cant a pattie be made from just plain beef, Salt and a binding agesnt such as egg.

My guess is they can simply cut there meat bill in half by doing the above

"
Meat in a big mac is about 19-21% per patty and patties in q.pounders are about 25-27% if i remember my macca's training correctly lol

this is were im questioning the other 80%- Why cant a pattie be made from just plain beef, Salt and a binding agesnt such as egg.

My guess is they can simply cut there meat bill in half by doing the above

Heh oops, that was meant to say Fat not meat my bad...

off editing i go..

My wife did raw vegan for all of 3 weeks before she gave it up. She's been vegetarian since she was around 12 years old (29 now) and is one of the healthiest people I know. Like all dietary pathways, you have to do it right to be healthy. I know a few vegan bodybuilders and they get along swimmingly.

The major issue with worldwide obesity, in my opinion, is the overconsumption of animal products and processed wheats in comparison to fruits, veggies, grains and leafy greens.

i.e your typical burger; 70% meat product*, 20% processed wheat flours, 3% condiments & 7% vegetables & leafy greens.

You could throw the bun away, not bother with the condiments and just eat the patty on a bed of leafy greens and it would be immeasurably better for you.

*Meat product, not just meat. Even the "100% meat" burgers you buy - not just from fast-food chains - are made from animal parts that are typically waste at your local butcher's.

My wife did raw vegan for all of 3 weeks before she gave it up. She's been vegetarian since she was around 12 years old (29 now) and is one of the healthiest people I know. Like all dietary pathways, you have to do it right to be healthy. I know a few vegan bodybuilders and they get along swimmingly.

The major issue with worldwide obesity, in my opinion, is the overconsumption of animal products and processed wheats in comparison to fruits, veggies, grains and leafy greens.

i.e your typical burger; 70% meat product*, 20% processed wheat flours, 3% condiments & 7% vegetables & leafy greens.

You could throw the bun away, not bother with the condiments and just eat the patty on a bed of leafy greens and it would be immeasurably better for you.

*Meat product, not just meat. Even the "100% meat" burgers you buy - not just from fast-food chains - are made from animal parts that are typically waste at your local butcher's.

This is the problem here. Making assumptions on what food is good and bad with no context on the rest of the diet or the requirements.

Saying that throwing the bun away makes a burger immeasurable better. Maybe, but not necessarily. what if more carbs and calories are what this person needs in their diet.

Most mince is just made from lower grade meat that cant be sold as steaks or roasts ect. Why does that make it bad. Its still meat, its still from an animal. We cant all just eat eye fillet and chicken breast, and i wouldn't want to anyway. People talk about eating whole natural foods, what part of using a lower grade meat for mince makes it bad.

There is a reason why I never get into discussions on what is healthy and what isn't. Everyone has a different point of view and there are extremes no fats, no sugars, no animal products, no carbs, raw food, organic food, skittles diet (oh wait that's mine) etc etc. It is a real waste of your time. Do your own research and choose something that suits you. And just like religion, keep your choice to yourself and don't preach to others.

This is the problem here. Making assumptions on what food is good and bad with no context on the rest of the diet or the requirements.

Saying that throwing the bun away makes a burger immeasurable better. Maybe, but not necessarily. what if more carbs and calories are what this person needs in their diet.

Most mince is just made from lower grade meat that cant be sold as steaks or roasts ect. Why does that make it bad. Its still meat, its still from an animal. We cant all just eat eye fillet and chicken breast, and i wouldn't want to anyway. People talk about eating whole natural foods, what part of using a lower grade meat for mince makes it bad.

There's a reason I didn't mention carbs though. I'm talking about wheat, in particular processed wheat (the white kinds). Carbs are not bad, carbs are great.

And 'mince' or ground meats you buy from supermarkets to make your own patties are generally fine if you watch the fat content, the meats used in the fast food industry are formed from parts of an animal you would never normally eat, i.e the pulverized arteries, tendons and veins of the animal. This is why they're so cheap in comparison to 'regular' patties... they use off-cuts that would normally be destined for the heap.

There's a reason I didn't mention carbs though. I'm talking about wheat, in particular processed wheat (the white kinds). Carbs are not bad, carbs are great.

And 'mince' or ground meats you buy from supermarkets to make your own patties are generally fine if you watch the fat content, the meats used in the fast food industry are formed from parts of an animal you would never normally eat, i.e the pulverized arteries, tendons and veins of the animal. This is why they're so cheap in comparison to 'regular' patties... they use off-cuts that would normally be destined for the heap.

Again unless you are sensitive to it wheat is fine. Saying wheat is bad for everyone is just another of the latest fads.

2 things on the second part.

1 prove that is what going in fast food mince and not just another internet myth.

2 and even if it is who gives a shit. It's still animal, still edible and the burgers taste good. Some people love eating organs and things like tounge, how is that different.

Again unless you are sensitive to it wheat is fine. Saying wheat is bad for everyone is just another of the latest fads.

1 prove that is what going in fast food mince and not just another internet myth.

2 and even if it is who gives a shit. It's still animal, still edible and the burgers taste good. Some people love eating organs and things like tounge, how is that different.

Quoted for truth

Well, firstly it's worth noting that I'm American and that the coverage of the so-called 'pink slime' additive to the beef patties in McDonald's burgers has been epic over the past couple of years. I know that the burgers in the UK* (where I currently am) are similar to those made in Australia, and a number of spokespeople for the company (as well as the contents of the websites geared towards specific countries) aren't allowed to specify what portion of the cattle the meat comes from, nor its fat content. There's a difference between ground beef that is less than 2% fat, and ground beef that is less than 20% fat. It's still 100% beef, but the ratios are out of whack.

With regards to who gives a shit, well... it's for you to decide. I don't know how many folks would find a McDonald's burger fits their macro profile better than a homemade burger or a burger from a non-franchised outlet, but if it does... it's all good.

In addition, I'm not saying wheat is bad for everyone... I'm saying that overconsumption of wheat is associated with poor health (in particular poor cardiovascular health). Wheat, when eaten in moderation, is a good addition to any diet (provided you're not gluten intolerant, as you pointed out). You can look up the China Study for more info on that.

*Edit: The burger quality in most of Europe (I've worked and traveled across a fair bit of it) is also superior to the 'original' American stuff.

Last edited:
Well, firstly it's worth noting that I'm American and that the coverage of the so-called 'pink slime' additive to the beef patties in McDonald's burgers has been epic over the past couple of years. I know that the burgers in the UK* (where I currently am) are similar to those made in Australia, and a number of spokespeople for the company (as well as the contents of the websites geared towards specific countries) aren't allowed to specify what portion of the cattle the meat comes from, nor its fat content. There's a difference between ground beef that is less than 2% fat, and ground beef that is less than 20% fat. It's still 100% beef, but the ratios are out of whack.

With regards to who gives a shit, well... it's for you to decide. I don't know how many folks would find a McDonald's burger fits their macro profile better than a homemade burger or a burger from a non-franchised outlet, but if it does... it's all good.

In addition, I'm not saying wheat is bad for everyone... I'm saying that overconsumption of wheat is associated with poor health (in particular poor cardiovascular health). Wheat, when eaten in moderation, is a good addition to any diet (provided you're not gluten intolerant, as you pointed out). You can look up the China Study for more info on that.

*Edit: The burger quality in most of Europe (I've worked and traveled across a fair bit of it) is also superior to the 'original' American stuff.

Overconsumption of anything leads to
poor health. Doesn't mean it's bad, it's only bad if you are actually over consuming it.

As for the burgers i don't really care what part of the animal they are from. I doubt it's as bad as what the Internet myths say as nothing usually is. Nothing you have said is proof of what parts go into the burger anyway. I actually think its good that the whole animals gets used. Why throw away good edible parts of an animal when it can be made into tasty food.

Overconsumption of anything leads to
poor health. Doesn't mean it's bad, it's only bad if you are actually over consuming it.

As for the burgers i don't really care what part of the animal they are from. I doubt it's as bad as what the Internet myths say as nothing usually is. Nothing you have said is proof of what parts go into the burger anyway. I actually think its good that the whole animals gets used. Why throw away good edible parts of an animal when it can be made into tasty food.

As I said in my first post in the thread, my issue is with the overconsumption portion, nothing else.

And that was generally my point. The companies can advertise 100% beef with varied fat contents (as I believe was pointed out earlier in the thread, around 20-30% of a McDonald's burger is fat?), and nobody can say different. It's beef, just a large portion of beef fat... which is fine, if it fits your macros. Most of the time, for the calories, it won't... and a huge proportion of people just don't care.

You'll notice the websites specify chicken breast for their chicken products, even though people have no issues with eating thigh & leg meat from chickens. It's a wonderfully sly marketing tactic.

Plus, tendons are delicious when prepared correctly, but I can honestly say I've never heard of anybody sitting down to a tasty bowl of arteries and veins :p

Interestingly found this regarding McDonald US meat parties.

If you really have your doubts about this one, check out the ingredient lists on the McDonald's web site. All of their hamburgers are made from "100% beef patties"; furthermore, they define "beef patty" as being "100% pure USDA inspected beef; no additives, no fillers, no extenders." This means exactly what it says. When the USDA grades beef, it grades beef — it doesn't allow beef marketers to use the word as if it merely meant "cow parts."

Also Aussie McDonalds on the ingredient list for allergies lists meat patties as 100% beef, grilled with salt and pepper to season.

So do you have any real proof to the cow parts burgers or just Internet rumor.

Interestingly found this regarding McDonald US meat parties.

Also Aussie McDonalds on the ingredient list for allergies lists meat patties as 100% beef, grilled with salt and pepper to season.

So do you have any real proof to the cow parts burgers or just Internet rumor.

who cares, its tastes good and is convenient.

For the US burgers, they've stopped using it early this year.

It's Wikipedia and Snopes for now, since I'm at work and my sources are limited, but I can pull others; Pink slime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the United States, the additive itself cannot legally be sold directly to consumers. However, it can constitute up to 15 percent of ground beef without additional labeling, and it can also be added to other meat products such as beef-based processed meats.
snopes.com: Pink Slime and Mechanically Separated Chicken

In February 2012, fast food chains McDonald's, Taco Bell, and Burger King announced they would stop using BLBT (pink slime) in their food products. In March 2012, the grocery chains Kroger, Safeway, Supervalu, Bi-Lo, and Winn-Dixie announced they would stop buying BLBT products.

Yep and this is an Aussie web site and apparently it's never been used in Australia Maccas so not even an issue worth discussing.

Well, you asked for proof with regards to the pink slime with regards to McDonald's burgers after I mentioned where I'm from and how well documented that whole palaver has been. So I provided it in context.

But regardless of country, the actual meat vs fat ratio is a relevant issue, since it isn't readily advertised.

Personally I can see no reason why someone would choose a quick-fried thin sliver of a burger over a medium-rare (or rare, if that's your thing) steak when they take the same amount of time to prepare, and they're both as common as you can get from restaurants, but if you want it... you want it.