• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sumo Vs. Conventional Deadlifts

Interesting. So, when did sumo deads become PL- legal, or were they from the very start?

Think I'll stick with conventionals anyway, but I don't at all mind learning about lifts, powerlifting and so on.

Ah, okay.

Also, I used to hear stuff about taller guys (like me) being better off with sumo deads (I ignored this anyway :D), but it seems that's just so much bullshit.

This article is the kind I like - actual studies done properly, as far as I can tell. Noice. :)

Ah, okay.

Also, I used to hear stuff about taller guys (like me) being better off with sumo deads (I ignored this anyway :D), but it seems that's just so much bullshit.

This article is the kind I like - actual studies done properly, as far as I can tell. Noice. :)

Pretty much. Since people often quote livestrong.com or Poliquin, it's a breath of fresh air to read research reviews or unbiased undogmatised research in general. I used to pay for papers that the ACSM etc put out, but it gets expensive. You can subscribe for $10/month. I will be purchasing Decembers research review, I'll post it up :D

Ah, okay.

Actually... I've started trying them because of that, i have rather long thighs compared to everything else.. i'm not yet stronger with them, but the lift feels more natural and less squashed up....

Bwahaha. :D The more I read, the less I know. Seriously!

A contradictory mess, every time.

Lalalalala, can't hear any of it, I just lift things damn it, lalala. :p

Whether you are going to be better on Conventional or Sumo seems mostly dependent on leverages. For example big hips/short arms = sumo, lanky long arms = conventional.

I've noticed most of the big pullers around on youtube etc seem to train both, however.

I find that at the end of the day it's an actual increase in bodyweight that stimulates the growth of calves.

That's why perhaps some extra calf and bi work is warranted for us skinny/lean bitches who don't have nice juicy calves and bis like the fatties (sorry, big guys).

Your shins have to go from an angle to perpendicular so it goes without saying that the calves are heavily involved i was just asking if the sct of deadlifting and squatting was enough to train this motion. Like the hamstrings they act as dynamic stabilisers so i thought it wasnt a giant leap to ask if like hamstrings they could do with extra work

When I switched to olympic style squatting, my calves copped a hammering, could not cope and were limiting me until I put some time onto them and brought them up. Similar deal with chinning - bis were limiting the last portion of the lift and doing some bro curls again actually helped noticeably here.

Assistance does have its place, but much further down the track, first you must pay your dues.

I don't think anyone would suggest training calves in place of squatting, but simply adding it on as a bit extra. You really think doing a few sets of isolation movement for calves or bis is really going to impact on your ability to recover from compound movements? I can't see calf raises or seated curls being too neurologically taxing.

Last edited:
Your shins have to go from an angle to perpendicular so it goes without saying that the calves are heavily involved i was just asking if the sct of deadlifting and squatting was enough to train this motion. Like the hamstrings they act as dynamic stabilisers so i thought it wasnt a giant leap to ask if like hamstrings they could do with extra work

The action of your shins going from an angle to perpendicular is knee extension. Your calves don't extend your knee.

Are you injured?

The primary purpose of the CALVE muscles is to act as a shock absorber, you feel me?

Understand?

If this wasn't true, then one should be able to jump of the floor only using those muscles and nothing else.

Think about that.

are you saying not to do direct calve work?

I gave up hitting arms and calves about 6 months ago, ive noticed no difference, if anything my arms are fuller, calves the same, but without the tendonitis in my achillies flaring up

The action of your shins going from an angle to perpendicular is knee extension. Your calves don't extend your knee.

The ankle is flexed at the start of the deadlift and then it extends. Quads don't flex your ankles, calves do

are you saying not to do direct calve work?

I gave up hitting arms and calves about 6 months ago, ive noticed no difference, if anything my arms are fuller, calves the same, but without the tendonitis in my achillies flaring up

Once again, we've allowed a thread to become a 0ni factoid regurgitation thread with no obvious value.

More often than not, I reckon that, The three power lifts and power cleans will take someone farther than any other form of training.
The deadlift is just plain tough, and to make the most of these three, one needs to just focus on them.

The hell? It's you that's giving out the "facts" here
I just asked whether direct calve work would be of use, seeing as the article explicitly mentions the calves being heavily involved in the deadlift

The hell? It's you that's giving out the "facts" here
I just asked whether direct calve work would be of use, seeing as the article explicitly mentions the calves being heavily involved in the deadlift
Your whole body is heavily involved in the deadlift, do you think bicep curls would help your deadlift?

The ankle is flexed at the start of the deadlift and then it extends. Quads don't flex your ankles, calves do

Lol. Are you suggesting that the action of your shin going from angled to perpendicular in a deadlift is by some sort of massive contraction of the calves?

Once again, we've allowed a thread to become a 0ni factoid regurgitation thread with no obvious value.

More often than not, I reckon that, The three power lifts and power cleans will take someone farther than any other form of training.
The deadlift is just plain tough, and to make the most of these three, one needs to just focus on them.

for probably 6-8 weeks now ive only done the big 3 plus OHP and a few variants of those lifts,as well as dips and chins.. I cant agree with you more.. i see so many dicks in the gym doing things like one arm db presses and routines that resemble dance routines more than weightlifting

Lol. Are you suggesting that the action of your shin going from angled to perpendicular in a deadlift is by some sort of massive contraction of the calves?

The article certainly suggests that. Don't know why you chose to word it "massive contraction" either, I calf press way above what I deadlift. Whichever way you look at it, the calves play a big role in stabilising the knee joint